Weekend Collection Thread #57

Schaefft

It's time to go on another completely unnecessary adventure. Many will know what's waiting for me at the end of the journey but let's see if we can keep things mysterious for those who don't.

Taxi arrived early so my breakfast consisted of a cup of Lemsip and a bite out of my Tesco Cranberry bread (which will join me on my journey, it's the best bread you can buy in a supermarket, fight me).

IMG_20240107_100916.jpg

IMG_20240107_103052.jpg

16 minutes ago, Matty said:

Lemsip. Sorry for your troubles man 

Yeah, everyone seems to be getting a cold during this time of the year, the Lemsip does help though.

The bread has been consumed, that should keep me sustained for a while. We are an hour in and just arrived in York, nowhere near the end of leg #1 yet though.

Insurance is sorted as well, once again had to call as Admiral's website seems to struggle keeping up with my constant policy changes.

IMG_20240107_115016.jpg

Birmingham achieved! This is the end of leg #1. I'm somewhat glad that I'm not buying a car here despite my last purchase just outside of the city (the Infiniti Q45 last year) going well, and the car being collected today originally being the personal car of a well known gunsmith at home here in the city!

IMG_20240107_140417.jpg

7 minutes ago, hairnet said:

buying the gsa off wobbler

That would be an unusual one, Giselle might be a little too adventurous for me although I did enjoy driving the Autoshite GSA Special. Unfortunately it's gonna be something a little more boring.

Second to last stop before we are arriving at our final destination.

IMG_20240107_151038.jpg

Thanks to @Schaefft for an easy, hassle free sale.

The A8 tried to throw a spanner in the works by the MMI screen pinging a bit of trim off from the air vent surround as it motored closed, and the handbrake warning (having not been a problem for a couple of months) reared it’s head again. Why car? Why must you only be difficult when it’s time to go?

Anyway, it was good having the A8, glad I got to experience one. 

2 hours ago, 83C said:

Thanks to @Schaefft for an easy, hassle free sale.

The A8 tried to throw a spanner in the works by the MMI screen pinging a bit of trim off from the air vent surround as it motored closed, and the handbrake warning (having not been a problem for a couple of months) reared it’s head again. Why car? Why must you only be difficult when it’s time to go?

Anyway, it was good having the A8, glad I got to experience one. 

It's just what old cars do, I certainly don't mind having a few things to improve.

Still on my way back, popped over to a mate to pick up the E39 Tailgate window and another mate on the way back to have a quick chat. Time to have dinner though as the cranberry bread isnt enough for an entire day of collection-ing.

IMG_20240107_181905.jpg

IMG_20240107_195419.jpg

IMG_20240107_195334.jpg

IMG_20240107_195350.jpg

1 hour ago, 83C said:

Ex- @paulplom, @Kiltox, me, and a few others I think. It’s becoming a bit of an Autoshite bike. I think @Schaefft reckoned he’d be either the 5/6th AS owner.

Indeed it is, with Mr. @NorthernMonkey , @Robson3022 and @St.Judeall having history with the car as well.

The car is rock solid, no odd noises, vibrations, tracking to the left or right, anything really. If there is any proof that maintenance is key to keeping a car alive it's this A8. Absolutely worth putting money into to keep improving it from what I can tell. It's hard to imagine that 1400 quid could ever buy a better car really (aside from the GS300 maybe). I'll see how I get on with it but right now impressions are very positive. It's fast, smooth (surprisingly with sports suspension and 20 inch wheels), well equipped with sensible tech to make it feel contemporary, looks good (aside from hazy headlights and the screwed up bumper) and will hopefully continue to be reliable.

IMG_20240107_222456.jpg

That looks lovely. £1400, absolute bargain. That isn't a deposit for a never be yours, never ending monthly payment special. Being a 55 plate I take it the tax is just ouch rather than FFS!!!

26 minutes ago, 2flags said:

That looks lovely. £1400, absolute bargain. That isn't a deposit for a never be yours, never ending monthly payment special. Being a 55 plate I take it the tax is just ouch rather than FFS!!!

Exactly, there's no guarantee that the car will be trouble free forever but for that kind of money it's a no brainer. Crazy 600+ tax band has been avoided with this one fortunately and no ULEZ to worry about here either.

5 hours ago, 2flags said:

The tax is an odd one with the A8 3.0 TDIs, this one was pre-StupidTax so no problem. A friend of mine has a near-identical car on a 56 plate, his also avoids paying the £600-odd a year. However, if you’re unlucky enough to find an 06-plate registered between 23/03/2006 and 21/05/2006 then they’re all liable for the full whack before VAG did something to bring the emissions down. 

There are going to be so many really nice, big cars from 'non premium' manufacturers that are going to go over the bridge as people simply aren't going to pay that much tax. What a waste.