The grumpy thread

outlaw118

29 minutes ago, purplebargeken said:

Trying to get hold of a useful person at virgin media is nigh on impossible. Useless twats.

Try ceoemail.com. I’ve used it for several companies when customer (non) service have been useless. I’d assume CEOs do not want to deal with such matters and are pissed off to receive  such emails and someone further down the  food chain get a rocket.

Usually works well but I’ve never used Virgin .

Grump because my wife phoned and said that some cunt had bumped the A4 in Tesco car park this morning and fucked off.

20240416_115330.jpg.fa877d261f855c7d088fdce5bd266e73.jpg

20240416_115340.jpg.421a664e68e694863ee89f81e4ff0782.jpg

Not anything like as bad as I was expecting, barely noticeable on fact and it's certainly not the first time this bumper has been bumped anyway. Just as well its an old car.

All sorted:

20240416_122959.jpg.310a5280fa842e6fe49f4644491cf5a9.jpg

Still looks decent:

20240416_123010.jpg.f826195751e14498f0b90ee1d0e57664.jpg

The reason she knew someone had bumped the car is because someone else left a note on the windscreen giving the make, model, colour and reg plate of the car that bumped into mine, which was very good of them. I was going to call the police and leave it at that but considering there's no damage done then I'm just going to forget about it.

Went to ASDA for some odds and ends.  Don't shop there although it is in easy walking distance, mainly due to the smokers hanging about in the entrance.  Anyway, put my big boy pants on and ran the gauntlet.
Bloody chaos in there, folks wandering about in a daze, focused on their phones.  A scrum for some marked down shit, couldn't get past them or see what it was.
Tills crammed.  Braved the robotill which went OK but I swear is slower than the human operated till.
Not used to this at all as I usually shop in Lidl, of which there are two close by, or Aldi, a choice of three.
Plus a couple of B&Ms & smaller shops.
Always quiet and calm in there, people get on with their shopping with no fuss, don't block the isles and there is rarely a wait at the tills.
Should have gone and got my car, although the trek is almost the same as walking to ASDA.
Asda in Crawley is the one supermarket I avoid as the mixture of their customers and vagrants, violent shop lifters, etc. has crushed the employees' and security staff ability to be welcoming and polite.
It also has a McDonald's in it!

5 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Grump because my wife phoned and said that some cunt had bumped the A4 in Tesco car park this morning and fucked off.

Not anything like as bad as I was expecting, barely noticeable on fact and it's certainly not the first time this bumper has been bumped anyway. Just as well its an old car.

All sorted:

Still looks decent:

The reason she knew someone had bumped the car is because someone else left a note on the windscreen giving the make, model, colour and reg plate of the car that bumped into mine, which was very good of them. I was going to call the police and leave it at that but considering there's no damage done then I'm just going to forget about it.

Don't just forget it.  It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the other party may turn round and claim you scraped their car.  It's worth reporting and getting the reference number in case someone pulls nonsense like that.

My grump?  Our local Halfords has always been a bit of a disaster.  Nevertheless it is useful for random nonsense like bulbs that it's not worth making a 50 mile round trip to the decent motor factor I usually use down in Luton.

They've just done a refit.  Now *all* the bulbs, wipers, batteries, basically everything I'd be likely to go in for, is behind the counter.

Which means you need to try to convey to whoever's behind the till exactly what you need.  It took me a full ten minutes (much to the annoyance of the ever growing queue behind me) to get a couple of bloody tail light bulbs just now.  Yes, I know a 10W festoon (265) bulb isn't a massively common one, but argh...it would have taken me 30 seconds to pick it out myself.  Wasted a load of my time and theirs.  

Unsurprisingly, the queue at the tills has pretty much quadrupled since they changed things a couple of weeks ago.  Used to usually off peak be a case of going in, grabbing what you needed and being out the door in less than five mins - which was basically the one redeeming feature.  Not a chance now

Oh well, their loss is Mileham's gain!  Even if it will add to my fuel bill.

Edited by Zelandeth
Corrected the wrong bulb reference I typed on autopilot

5 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

They've just done a refit.  Now *all* the bulbs, wipers, batteries, basically everything I'd be likely to go in for, is behind the counter.

Which means you need to try to convey to whoever's behind the till exactly what you need.  It took me a full ten minutes (much to the annoyance of the ever growing queue behind me) to get a couple of bloody tail light bulbs just now.  Yes, I know a W10W/265 bulb isn't a massively common one, but argh...it would have taken me 30 seconds to pick it out myself.  Wasted a load of my time and theirs.  

I needed an HD bulb for my Disco 3 whilst on a journey a while back. I bought one in Crawley Halfords, and it was a bit of a faff - I had to take a card hanger to the till, and the girl had to rummage through a random box of bulbs. Then I got shafted for £31.

I've since seen that the Range do the same bulb for about £9, and it's even left out on the shelf for you to shoplift if you like. I will give them a try next time I need one.

5 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

I needed an HD bulb for my Disco 3 whilst on a journey a while back. I bought one in Crawley Halfords, and it was a bit of a faff - I had to take a card hanger to the till, and the girl had to rummage through a random box of bulbs. Then I got shafted for £31.

I've since seen that the Range do the same bulb for about £9, and it's even left out on the shelf for you to shoplift if you like. I will give them a try next time I need one.

Yeah, ours have done the same for years with the more expensive ones which I could kind of understand.  Fact that the entire damned lighting section is behind the tills now just seems like total madness.  How many hours of staff time does that waste them in a week?

I really feel for the folks behind the tills too, they have a crap enough job as it is having to deal with the public, nevertheless now needing to find 3/4 of what they're asking for.  Especially as a bunch of folks - like me - are probably already hacked off from having spent ten minutes walking round the store becoming increasingly convinced they're going blind as they can't find any of the general purpose spares anywhere now.

45 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Never thought of that. 

Similar happened to my wife. She went out for petrol one Sunday at our Tesco local. A while later 2 police turned up at the door asking if she'd been in Tesco because someone reported she'd reversed into their car. She denied reserving into it, they inspected the car, breathalysed her and THEN went to check Tesco CCTV. Never heard another word about it.

4 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

All sorted:

Still looks decent:

screenshot.png.f260411577bc08b463e92f8ed00186af.png

I bet you have a lot of Roman around in those shoes. 😁

8 hours ago, purplebargeken said:

Trying to get hold of a useful person at virgin media is nigh on impossible. Useless twats.

I find if your Virgin service is working (and to be fair it usually does), then TOUCH NOTHING, DO NOTHING, CHANGE NOTHING. 

The moment you try and change anything, they fuck it up royally.

I had a virgin mobile on Vodafone. 

They merged with O2 but I don't get a great signal, so they let me keep my Vodafone sim and that was OK.

Then I got a call centre call, promising to half my bill, double my data... all that usual schpeil.

I must have told  them 10 times, it MUST be a Vodafone sim.

Yes, yes, no problem sir. Vodafone sim.

Guess what they sent me?

It took hours and hours on the phone / chatbot etc to sort out. Because I now had a new contract they couldn't supply new Vodafone sims to new customers. 

But I'm not a new customer, and I have a Vodafone sim. You cancelled it!

And so on and on and on.....

Never in my life have I found it so hard to buy a 'nice' car with what I consider a reasonable amount of cash to burn. I knew this day would come sooner or later the way the market went in the 2010s, but just about  everything I want basically doesn't exist with a petrol engine and I don't do tractors for all sorts of reasons.  Mercedes E class (There are NO petrol W212s on eBay under £7.5k, in the UK, 200+ diseasels), 3 or 5 series BMWs, Jags, most SUVs are at best 80/20 diseasel. I'll end up buying a fecking Focus  or something... :(

5 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

Never in my life have I found it so hard to buy a 'nice' car with what I consider a reasonable amount of cash to burn. I knew this day would come sooner or later the way the market went in the 2010s, but just about  everything I want basically doesn't exist with a petrol engine and I don't do tractors for all sorts of reasons.  Mercedes E class (There are NO petrol W212s on eBay under £7.5k, in the UK, 200+ diseasels), 3 or 5 series BMWs, Jags, most SUVs are at best 80/20 diseasel. I'll end up buying a fecking Focus  or something... :(

If you don't want a diesel just because of ULEZ you could have had my late Dad's 2017 V40. Not sure what your budget is mind, I was looking for £9,500.

5 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

If you don't want a diesel just because of ULEZ you could have had my late Dad's 2017 V40. Not sure what your budget is mind, I was looking for £9,500.

That Volvo was a petrol? I was sure I saw a 'D' in the ad.
It's nowt to do with LEZ zones, I've been into Glasgow city centre twice in the last 10 years and both times took the tube, I just hate diseasels and even if I didn't I can't have one because I do lots of short journeys which apparently these engineering miracles can't put up with...

It's frustrating that after years of driving 20 year old shitters having now decided I could liberate some cash for something a bit newer less shit everything I like only seems to be available with the engine from a commercial vehicle. It's incredible when you look at some models you wonder if the manufacturer even offered a petrol version besides the 5 litre V8 AMG/M Power/S/R varieties? BMW 5 series or X5, Mercedes E class or ML, Jaguar XF... where are the cooking 2-3 litre petrols?

3 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

That Volvo was a petrol? I was sure I saw a 'D' in the ad.
It's nowt to do with LEZ zones, I've been into Glasgow city centre twice in the last 10 years and both times took the tube, I just hate diseasels and even if I didn't I can't have one because I do lots of short journeys which apparently these engineering miracles can't put up with...

It's frustrating that after years of driving 20 year old shitters having now decided I could liberate some cash for something a bit newer less shit everything I like only seems to be available with the engine from a commercial vehicle. It's incredible when you look at some models you wonder if the manufacturer even offered a petrol version besides the 5 litre V8 AMG/M Power/S/R varieties? BMW 5 series or X5, Mercedes E class or ML, Jaguar XF... where are the cooking 2-3 litre petrols?

Have you looked at Lexuses at all? Plenty of petrol ones of those in 2-3L modes. 

5 hours ago, rattlecan said:

Surely the plural must be Lexi 🤣

Technically since Lexus is a made up word and not derived from Latin I believe the plural should be Lexuses, or possibly even just Lexus since Toyota themselves have said that's the correct plural form of Lexus. But then they also say the plural form of Prius is Prii so what do they know...

Anyway I've considered them but I've never been that much of a fan. It's a type of  car I should like and the RX SUV thing ticks a lot of boxes but far too many of them are gold and have my least favourite interior trim colour combo of beige leather with orange 'wood'. One of the reasons I like BMWs and Mercs is that a lot of them are black, black with black accents, like Hotblack Desiato's spaceship...