Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

That tow thing looks like it's never been used probably because the seller knows it doesn't work. I'd demand a demonstration, which you should film guaranteeing you £250 from you've been framed when it inevitably careers off into a canal.

My Renner 25 v6i that I'm recommissioning (last roadworthy 94 etc etc)  has 2 fuel pumps......

I've replaced the inline pump & filter (under o/s sill -ridiculous place to put ), but still couldnt get anything through, so followed the line into the tank (Not easy -had to chisel a hole in the rear floor to access), where I found another pump, submerged at the bottom of the tank.

Completely dead, filled with brown glue. In the short term, to get it running properly for evaluation, I'm going to just stick a pipe in & rely on t'other pump.

Anything wrong with this -am I missing something? Why does it need 2 ?

There's quite a lot of these examples on the MIG welding forums with lots of similiar "How will this work without the pivot?" comments.

This guy chirped up. It doesn't sound very re-assuring, I think I'd rather just not bother.

I bought one like that once, it was advertised as heavy duty specially built for towing Transit vans.

The 2nd pivot is where you strap the towed vehicle wheels to the dolly and with the key in the ignition the front wheels turn, it sort-of works.

But, the front wheels of a vehicle swivel around the theoretical  "kingpin" which on normal cars is within the width of the front wheel - not allowing them to move back and forth at all -  so leaving the steering lock off won't make any difference, unless you're towing Fred Dibnahs steam engine or something.

I'm not planning on buying it or any dolly BTW, I'm just curious/amused by the impossibleness of it.

I had a rigid dolly not so long back.  They're not the best things in the world, but it is possible to use them for towing - I dragged a (small) car back from Hampshire with mine, behind the Rover 400.  As others have said, strap the towed car down very tight, take it easy round corners and avoid mini roundabouts.  Yes, you will get tyre scrub, but if you think about it the wheelbase of a small car on a dolly is probably no greater than the wheelbase of a 3-axle artic trailer, and they manage to get round corners OK with none of the trailer wheels steering (although admittedly they do have nine tonnes of tractor unit to keep them in line).

I'm wondering how much my Renault Fuego Turbo is worth. I bought it on here for £900, it's a car I've always wanted for years, but I really have too many cars now. I'm happy to keep hold of it for however long, but the money and space would be nice, and would like it to go to a good home looking at it's nice history and all - I think it'll go to a good home anyway.

I've driven it a lot, and I don't want anything to happen to it, like crash it or have someone crash into me on the M6.

I've advertised it for a hugely optimistic price as a barrier against 'can colleck 2nite mate' but also as I have no idea of what they're worth. Panhard before me did a load of work on the car and got it through an MOT and taxed it, and it's obviously been well loved by it's first owner (of nearly 30 years). I'd be happy to make a 100 quid profit, but what realistic price should I put it up for? I've already had one buyer claiming it has had a rear end shut and a repair because I lovingly removed some of the surface rust and put some stonechip on it. Before he wanted me to hold out my hand and take 50p for it, I buggered off. He even kicked the tyres ffs.

The fuego does appear to of had a replacement rear hatch as when I was sorting out the rear lights I found a couple of bits of glass and the sticker on the screen isn't right. Saying that there is no obvious sign of a rear impact, probably had a few car park dings on the bumpers. When I had it on ebay I had a bloke ring me up moaning that I sold it off ebay as he would of given me 2 grand for it. Worth a try on there and certainly worth a grand I lost money on it at 900 so it will be a good buy for someone. Why did he kick the tyres ? Was he trying to pull a fast one and say there was a problem with them. I had the wheels reconditioned and 4 new tyres that have got a warranty on them

Aren't those reversing mirrors so  you can see the back end of the car?

Judging by the dent, they're highly effective*.

They dont stop stuff running into you.......... :ssch00101:

It has reversing camera & sensors as well now,but i suspect that they wouldnt help either :common070:

I wouldn't give any credence to some knob warbler on eBay saying they would have given you X amount for an item you had already sold. These two bob tosspots are full of fab offers on e something had sold, the Internet is rife with them. He'd obviously seen it on eBay when it was live so he had his chance then to mail you. Worse case scenario he was one of those sort of ambulance chaser types who go through the 'ended' items, mail the seller and attempt a wank offer. Then, if they find its sold, they come out with all that 'I would have paid you several thousand' type nonsense.

A couple of clowns tried it with my Boardman bike after it ended not having met reserve. I sold it elsewhere anyhow in the end so they can GTFO.

You know the companies like McDonalds and so on who run their vans and lorries on their re-cycled chip oil? How much duty they need to pay per litre of veg oil they use?

I remember reading a few years ago that you're supposed to pay duty on fuel never mind if you pulled it out the bottom of a deep fat frier. I understand they'll struggle to get anything from the normal private individual but I imagine they'd be after bigger users who need to be squeaky clean to pay something?

You know the companies like McDonalds and so on who run their vans and lorries on their re-cycled chip oil? How much duty they need to pay per litre of veg oil they use?

I remember reading a few years ago that you're supposed to pay duty on fuel never mind if you pulled it out the bottom of a deep fat frier. I understand they'll struggle to get anything from the normal private individual but I imagine they'd be after bigger users who need to be squeaky clean to pay something?

I seem to recall that if you use over a certain amount per year, HMG do take an interest, but there's no duty payable under that figure [which is lots!]

I love the idea of some lad strapping the front wheels rigidly to a flipping steel dolly frame then leaving the steering lock off to allow ‘pivoting’. Are folk really that thick or was he a wind-up merchant? If there are folk out there who are really that clueless I’m not surprised all forms of towing are slowly being legislated into oblivion.

I also love it when you get wiseguys saying ‘ohhh, I’d have given you £XYZ for that if you hadn’t just sold it for £ABC’, it’s a dead giveaway that they are a messer. Finding out they have missed out on a deal subconsciously cheers up these twats greatly, as it means they no longer have to think up a credible-sounding excuse for completely wasting your time, which in turn means they can concentrate 100% on the bullshitting process and crank it up to the max.

You get 2500 litres per year exempt of duty, anything more is taxed.

Truth be told I'd be astounded if any modern truck would run on veg oil, sounds like a load of crap to me.

What maybe possible is that Maccy D's sell their veg on to a bio diesel maker, and there is a tiny percentage of bio in some diesels.

I seem to recall that if you use over a certain amount per year, HMG do take an interest, but there's no duty payable under that figure [which is lots!]

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageExcise_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000205&propertyType=document#P210_25289

2.1 What are biodiesel, bioblend, bioethanol and bioethanol blend?

Biodiesel is described in the law as a diesel quality* liquid fuel that is produced from biomass or waste cooking oil:

• the ester content of which is not less than 96.5 per cent by weight, and
  • the sulphur content of which does not exceed 0.005 per cent by weight, or is nil

*diesel quality means that the fuel is a substitute for diesel rather than petrol.

'Bioblend' means any mixture that is produced by mixing:

• biodiesel, and
  • heavy oil that has not been charged with the excise duty on hydrocarbon oil

'Bioethanol' means a liquid fuel:

• consisting of ethanol produced from biomass, and
  • capable of being used for the same purposes as light oil

'Bioethanol blend' means any mixture that is produced by mixing:

• bioethanol, and
  • hydrocarbon oil not charged with excise duty
2.2 Other fuel substitutes

Any liquid that is not hydrocarbon oil, biodiesel, bioblend, bioethanol or bioethanol blend but is used in place of mineral oil to fuel any engine, motor or other machinery is classed as a fuel substitute. Please see paragraph 3.1.1 for further details. This includes:

• any liquid used as a fuel in place of mineral oil
  • any liquid which is used as an additive or extender to a mineral oil, or
  • any liquid which is used as an additive or extender in a fuel substitute

However, water is not considered to be a fuel substitute when used in a diesel emulsion when the emulsion is stabilised with additives. Duty is charged only on the non-water part of the fuel.

4.2.1 Exempt producers/users

If you have produced or used less than 2,500 litres of:

• any biofuel, or
  • any other fuel substitute or additive

within the last 12 months, and/or expect to produce or use less than 2,500 litres in the next 12 months, you are an exempt producer and do not need to register with us and account for duty. However, there are simple record keeping requirements, which are described in paragraph 4.9.1.

Production includes the manufacture or processing of road fuel, and the setting aside of any product that has not been charged with duty, with the intention of using it as road fuel.

4.9 What records must I keep?

As a revenue trader you must maintain records relating to your business affairs. These will be your normal business, management and accounting records.

Additionally, the Biofuels and Other Fuel Substitutes (Payment of Excise Duties, etc.) Regulations 2004, as amended in 2007, require producers to keep and maintain a motor fuels record. The record keeping requirements that apply to registered producers differ depending on whether you are supplying biofuels to others, or using those that you produce yourself. The following table illustrates the requirements.

Supply

Own Use

Before the product leaves the producer's premises, record

• the date of each supply
  • a description of each supply
  • in the case of a fuel substitute, a description of the type of engine that it is suitable for use in
  • the amount, in standard litres, of each supply set aside and sent out for a chargeable use
  • the name and address of each person you make a supply to
  • the address to which the supply is sent
  • the number of the delivery note for each supply made
  • the date on which the entry is made in the motor fuels record
  • the amount and rate of duty charged on each supply.

No later than the chargeable use occurs, record

• the date of each chargeable use
  • a description of the liquid being used
  • in the case of a fuel substitute, a description of the type of engine that it is suitable for use in
  • the amount, in standard litres, of biofuels put to a chargeable use
  • the date on which the entry is made in the motor fuels record
  • the amount and rate of duty due on each chargeable use.

Please also see the important note contained in paragraph 3.4 of this notice. Notice 206 Revenue traders records, available from our website, contains more information.

4.9.1 Exempt producers’ records

If you are an exempt producer (as defined in paragraph 4.2.1) you only need to record and keep the following information:

• the date of each supply and/or own use
  • the amount in standard litres of each supply or own use

You should check the amounts produced at the end of each month. If you have produced 2,500 litres or more in the last 12 months, or expect to produce 2,500 litres or more in the next 12 months, you must contact us within 30 days to register your premises as described in paragraph 2.5.

Important: The following paragraph has the force of law.

Under the powers given by regulation 6 of the Biofuels and Other Fuel Substitutes Payment of Excise Duties, etc. (Amendment) Regulations 2007, HMRC require that the records of litres and dates as specified in paragraph 4.10 below are kept by exempt producers and preserved for six years, or for a lesser period if HMRC allow.

So it's basically to stop you making shit loads of it and selling it on moonshine style to other people without paying duty?

2500 litres works out about 19500 miles in a car that'd do 35mpg. I guess if your swishing a diesel mix into it this probably increases the mileage achievable under that limitation.

Or they could do what our govt do. Sell diesel tax free and charge "road tax" on distance travelled, which must be purchased in advance. Then it makes no difference what is in the tank. Also your farm tractor and anything that is not used on the road, has not paid any tax . Simple !!!

Don't forget to always tell the bellend that asked after the auction has ended that you sold it for scrap money. This quite often makes them apoplectic

That's only true for private motorists, the threshold is 2500 litres per year.

Business users pay duty from the off, 58p per litre according to Ian Government. That's why commercially sold biodiesel is so expensive.

Here's Ian McDonald's blurb about biodiesel

http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/mcd/sustainability/library/policies_programs/environmental_responsibility/biodiesel_and_recycling_cooking_oil.html

My Renner 25 v6i that I'm recommissioning (last roadworthy 94 etc etc)  has 2 fuel pumps......

I've replaced the inline pump & filter (under o/s sill -ridiculous place to put ), but still couldnt get anything through, so followed the line into the tank (Not easy -had to chisel a hole in the rear floor to access), where I found another pump, submerged at the bottom of the tank.

Completely dead, filled with brown glue. In the short term, to get it running properly for evaluation, I'm going to just stick a pipe in & rely on t'other pump.

Anything wrong with this -am I missing something? Why does it need 2 ?

Eventually, the other pump will become overworked and will fail. Fine as a short-term fix. On most injected stuff, there seems to be a tank pump to get the fuel to the engine bay, then another pump to get it up to suitable pressure. If the tank pump has gone, this engine bay pump is therefore having to do twice as much work. Read a lot about this when I had the Rover 75 as often there are few symptoms when the tank pump has gone, but if you don't do something about it, the more expensive engine bay pump goes pop.

The fuego does appear to of had a replacement rear hatch as when I was sorting out the rear lights I found a couple of bits of glass and the sticker on the screen isn't right. Saying that there is no obvious sign of a rear impact, probably had a few car park dings on the bumpers. When I had it on ebay I had a bloke ring me up moaning that I sold it off ebay as he would of given me 2 grand for it. Worth a try on there and certainly worth a grand I lost money on it at 900 so it will be a good buy for someone. Why did he kick the tyres ? Was he trying to pull a fast one and say there was a problem with them. I had the wheels reconditioned and 4 new tyres that have got a warranty on them

I found a couple of pieces of glass as well - I suspect the hatch has just been smashed. There is no sign of any rear end damage at all. He was kicking the tyres because that's what Quentin Wilson's 'buying a used car' advice book from 1988 says. He was booting them, while looking at the engine. Wheels are obviously in A1 condition, I think they're the best tyres I've ever had on a car. Someone offering 2k though - ouch!

Fuego - There's not many about so it's hard to price them. There was a tidy looking red GTX that sold a couple of times last year or so for a bit over a grand I think. But it was tidier than your turbo, however as a GTX it was worth less ....

£2k does sound quite hopeful, but if someone wants it they'll pay it ... I think advertising it for £1500 would get a bit of interest.

I thought it had been provisionally sold anyway???

I do want a fuego at some point, but have 5 cars too many at present ....that said I'll swap you my beta spider (convertible) for the fuego ;)