Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

My first car was a Clubman Estate in Russett (gusset) Brown. Was the delightful 70's hue available across the entire British Leyland range? 

I've definitely seen Minis/Clubmans, Allegros, Maxis, Toledos & Dolomites, Spitfires (maybe even GT6?), TR6 & 7s, stags, midgets, MGBs & GTs, and I'm pretty sure i've also seen it flaking off of Itals, Princesses & Jags too.

What about Range/Land Rovers, and the other luxury BL shite? Anything you definitely couldn't get it on?

You can use diesel, but even better would be a dash of two stroke oil. Just as little as a shotglass full per tank of petrol is fine.

Has nothing to do with unleaded btw. Petrol wasn't leaded when the Atlantic was new either. But modern petrol is much too high octane for those low compression engines and that leads to excessive pyrolysis. Some added diesel or two stroke oil seems to take care of this.

Woo, thanks! I'll give it a go next time I take the car out.

Don't think I've ever seen gusset brown on a Jag? I know there were other shades of brown, more like the Siena brown you got early 70s Triumphs in, but did they do Jags in gusset?

My first car was an old Audi in a shade very similar to gusset brown. I'd love something in that colour again, brown is getting trendy again. :)

Don't think I've ever seen gusset brown on a Jag? I know there were other shades of brown, more like the Siena brown you got early 70s Triumphs in, but did they do Jags in gusset?

My first car was an old Audi in a shade very similar to gusset brown. I'd love something in that colour again, brown is getting trendy again. :)

The chap I bought my Princess off has a manual XJS in russet brown, it looks freaking awesome.

Taxi drivers - I'm not usual anywhere at anytime I need to take a taxi but I was up in Scotchland last week for my Little Sister's wedding and shared two from the local Premier Inn to the posh hotel with some relatives.

Anyway, is there any benefit to both driver's technique of changing up IMMEDIATELY into the next gear at about 700rpm it seemed and letting the car drag itself along in low revs?

@Will - the CNG buses may well be spark ignition, I know Scania were working on that, as were Cummins. Maybe even together, they have collaborated on injection systems recently.

The truck versions were compression ignition 'mixer' systems, for simplicity, as are the LPG ones. Due to the large gas tanks, range is reduced; not a big problem on city buses, but a major headache on trucks.

@T. Claypole - changing up early worked well enough on old school pump diesels; modern unit injector diesels need driven by the turbo. I reckon your taxi driver was trying to drive as smoothly as possible. Or he was 20 years out of date...

Anyway, is there any benefit to both driver's technique of changing up IMMEDIATELY into the next gear at about 700rpm it seemed and letting the car drag itself along in low revs?

Was it one of the numerous (in Glasgow) Skoda Octavia SDis with the un-turbo dizzler? There's a a lot of them here and that's the way most of the drivers drive them.

I'd like to see them try that with my Transit, if you let it get below 1000rpm the engine switches off. No juddering or labouring, just a click from a relay under the dashboard and you're half way out of a junction with no power.

One of them was a Skoda yes, the other some people carrier/bus effort.

It was in Troon so probably not Glasgow based.

I could get used to the kilt malarkey though. 8)

Timothyclaypole you waz in my hood. There's still a few na Octavias knocking about but the council are really strick with taxi drivers here so they're mostly a5 Octavias .

On the one hand, raised revs is going to mean more fuel used, as there are more explosions to the minute. On the other, too low and you're labouring the engine so end up putting the throttle down further to compensate for the lack of oomph. I've no idea if the taxi drivers are right.

anyone know how you move photos on facebook? All my old albums have just been dumped into the generic folder with my name on it but I can't see any option to move them into a new or existing album?

The chap I bought my Princess off has a manual XJS in russet brown, it looks freaking awesome.

I think either Arfur Daley or 'the Gaffer' had a gusset brown Jag? I've definitely seen a few. I think the new F-type is available is 'Gusset Brown'.

I'd like to see them try that with my Transit, if you let it get below 1000rpm the engine switches off. No juddering or labouring, just a click from a relay under the dashboard and you're half way out of a junction with no power.

It also slows the amount of oil coming through from the pump stalling.

Why do people lower their car seats? It looks stupid, must be difficult to get in and out of, and everyone who sees you driving assumes your a midget. 

Why do people lower their car seats? It looks stupid, must be difficult to get in and out of, and everyone who sees you driving assumes your a midget. 

I lower my car seat because I'm quite tall.

Are you talking about the people who drive their cars with the seats reclined ridiculously?

Did anyone manage to get a halfords trade card with just their own business card?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=676691&page=1

I got mine 'free' years back for joining VXON for £15. Best money I ever spent, saved me thousands over the time I've had it.

Looking at the link above it seems you might get away with having a word with your local branch manager, but if not then I'd have thought a bit of homework and a colour printer will see you right ;)

Because I find it more comfortable to have the seat lowered, it's easier on my ankles. It's no harder to get in or out, and I shan't be losing sleep over people making assumptions about my height.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I personally find it makes me look somewhat gangsta.

• Like 2

Did anyone manage to get a halfords trade card with just their own business card?

No but you can get one with a "replacement sage pay slip" available from eBay for around a tenner

Yesterday, in an (unsuccessful) attempt to cure a very erratic cold idle, I pulled the tank sender and cleaned out the filter.

HOW on earth do they get so utterly caked with sludge? Even allowing for crappy fuel and the odd insect flying into the filler, I don't understand how it ended up looking like the filter in my dishwasher. I swear some of the stuff I pulled out of it was almost growing there, and I'm frankly amazed that any fuel was getting through at all.

Completely non-shite-related question (soz):  does anyone know what these things are?

SAM_0216_zpsd25c1dbe.jpg

SAM_0215_zpsb1e1d51b.jpg

They seem to be sprouting all over the garden at the moment.  I had a few appear last summer, but nothing like the number I have this year.  Every time I go to mow the lawn there's a new patch of them.  They grow bloody fast too - the tallest ones are now well over 5'.  I know about as much about plants as Motoring Journalist Rob Griffin knows about cars, so I haven't a fugging clue what they are.  I'm pretty sure they're technically a weed, but the bees seem to love them so I'm leaving them be.  That, and last year they kept on flowering into October, long after everything else in the garden had died off.

I can say with some certainty that what you've got there is a Volvo 164. :P

Plants look like some kind of lupin maybe?

Lavender?

If it is a Foxglove type thing I think they're quite poisonous.

I'd say Lavender (too small to be Foxgloves or Lupins) - try crushing the leaves in your hand and smelling them. If you want them to grow slower and 'fill out' a bit, cut a few inches off the stems.

My six year old son wants to go out for a ride on the back of my GPZ. Should I let him?