Late registration madness

Mash

4 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

I seem to remember there were a number of ex MOD Montegos sold off after having been in store c1997 and they got P plates

I heard the MOD bought all the unsold ones when Rover ended production as a job lot, & never got round to using most of them before they decided to sell them off.

26 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

I heard the MOD bought all the unsold ones when Rover ended production as a job lot, & never got round to using most of them before they decided to sell them off.

Yeah I've heard similar. I've heard by about 1994 Montego saloons were only available to fleets which basically meant taxis or the MOD

23 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Yeah I've heard similar. I've heard by about 1994 Montego saloons were only available to fleets which basically meant taxis or the MOD

I remember looking through a Parker's guide around then & noticed that it mentioned Montego Saloons were only available as fleet sales after a certain date.

On 7/10/2023 at 6:39 AM, Eyersey1234 said:

I seem to remember there were a number of ex MOD Montegos sold off after having been in store c1997 and they got P plates

I remember a notice in my taxi licencing office at the town hall telling drivers that Ledbury Maestro's will not be plated for private hire use under any circumstances.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/5/2010 at 12:50 PM, Lord Sterling said:

V-reg Rover 827SLi, 2.7 Honda engined 800s were only officially made up until 1996 hence you might have got a P-reg one at a push, there are a few R-regs around aswell but thats it really.

This is one that might have been sitting in a dealership somewhere. Also interestingly, there is also another 827SLi V6? OJW going arond Birmingham, not seen it yet myself.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/verytallbrad/27thDEC2008028.jpg

Same mate who owned the car above, also used to own a K-reg mk1 Rover 827SLi, mk1s were only ever available until J-reg.

I've also seen a 52-plate Rover 100, though I cant find the pic.

Even P reg are apparently rare as rocking horse shit. This Police car was registered in October 1996, despite the MY being 825 with the KV6.image.thumb.jpeg.0288eb71552a11a25dc50d40e4aaa831.jpeg

I did spot on "How many left" that 1 was actually registered in 2001.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SunnySouth said:

Has this featured yet? Noted in Daaaaarset (Poole) at the weekend. Is that numberplate lost m8 or wot?! :o 

IMG_3605.jpeg

image.thumb.png.2ed06eb575a00d87333ac5c49f955057.png

thats an amusing find :) it was 994PJO until robbed of that plate and given A907FSF as an "age related" plate on the 17th of December 1985

if I had to guess they where supposed to give it an A suffix reg, but someone messed up and gave it an A prefix reg instead, its not the first time I have seen the DVLA get their suffix and prefix confused!

if you search the reg series up and down from it, you will see it is generally a 1985 issue age related series for vehicles registered/from 1983-1984, but there are a couple other 1960's vehicles intwined in it, so the Austin is not alone LOL

A906FSF A909FSF A912FSF are the other 3 that I can find doing a bit of quick DVLA bashing :)  

46 minutes ago, catsinthewelder said:

Could that have been caused by someone saying to the new guy, " stick it on an A reg" then not checking it was a suffix?

thats exactly what I was thinking, especially with how prolific plate robbery was back then in the 1980's and the policy of handing out of A suffix plates to every old vehicle back then be it from 1948 or 1963 etc

I can imagine someone getting complacent and just saying as you say "Stick an A reg on it like the others" and then someone else not realising they meant A suffix rather then prefix!

14 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

image.thumb.png.2ed06eb575a00d87333ac5c49f955057.png

thats an amusing find :) it was 994PJO until robbed of that plate and given A907FSF as an "age related" plate on the 17th of December 1985

if I had to guess they where supposed to give it an A suffix reg, but someone messed up and gave it an A prefix reg instead, its not the first time I have seen the DVLA get their suffix and prefix confused!

if you search the reg series up and down from it, you will see it is generally a 1985 issue age related series for vehicles registered/from 1983-1984, but there are a couple other 1960's vehicles intwined in it, so the Austin is not alone LOL

A906FSF A909FSF A912FSF are the other 3 that I can find doing a bit of quick DVLA bashing :)  

Brilliant work!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 08/12/2023 at 21:30, Markeh said:

11 plate Astra H hatch spotted in Stoke-on-Trent this evening. I know the van ran on for ages, and I'm assuming the estate probably ran for a while until the J estate came in, but I've seen 10 plate Astra Js and possibly even a 59, so surprised to see this.

I've seen Astra H vans on a 60 plate before, but 11 is rare for a hatch 

• 3 weeks later...

The Great British Car Journey have acquired this Smiths milkfloat on an 05-plate that looks all kinds of wrong.

Screenshot2024-02-11165556.thumb.png.02efef9125d9d739616c30f8457394e1.png

The chap from the museum is confused by the reg. I assume it's a rebuild with enough new parts to qualify as a new vehicle and must have been one of the last electric floats registered.

18 minutes ago, leakingstrut said:

IMG_2045.thumb.png.b00daa9fd4babf5b900603e68f919479.png    IMG_2046.thumb.png.c2a4a88067b5141d4caa884ef17e2463.png

‘86 200tdi on a ‘52 plate? My first assumption was ringing, but that’s not entirely making sense to me given the DVLA record and I’d assume you’d typically see ringed cars on an older plate, not a newer one.

looks like it was given a plate based on its date of first registration with the DVLA rather then its date of manufacture which is correctly down as 1986 

this used to be standard practice for all imports/ex army vehicles until August 1983

52043157830_2a27eb8536_o.thumb.jpg.cdd59637786f96d28137f9a5934305c1.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/2nhSMEE

after that point they issued age related plates appropriately, however I do still see the odd vehicle get issued a plate according to its date of first registration rather then year of mfg,

I have also seen it where a vehicle is registered under the wrong year of manufactured, and then later its corrected, but an age related plate for the correct year is never issued

so initially for example that Land Rover could of been genuinely registered as a 2002 Land Rover and then someone had it declared manufactured 1986, but never requested a suitable age related plate for it

and I have also seen it where theres a vehicle imported or registered later ,used so First registered 2002 with the DVLA but made 1986 and it *is* given a 1986 reg, but then someone for whatever reason transfers the reg off the car, I then seen the vehicle get given an "age" related plate according to first registration rather then actual year of mfg

And doing a quick reg check on that Landy, would you look at that :)

https://www.freecarcheck.co.uk/free/U1I1MkdZUA-MTcwNzY5MjUxMA/

image.thumb.png.556c849f5c2ec0ab05eb1230b7265cd4.png

in this case it looks like someone put a private plate on it, then took the private plate off the vehicle, and rather then the DVLA returning the originally issued age related plate to it, they issued it with a 2002 "age related" plate instead!

12 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

looks like it was given a plate based on its date of first registration with the DVLA rather then its date of manufacture which is correctly down as 1986 

this used to be standard practice for all imports/ex army vehicles until August 1983

52043157830_2a27eb8536_o.thumb.jpg.cdd59637786f96d28137f9a5934305c1.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/2nhSMEE

after that point they issued age related plates appropriately, however I do still see the odd vehicle get issued a plate according to its date of first registration rather then year of mfg,

I have also seen it where a vehicle is registered under the wrong year of manufactured, and then later its corrected, but an age related plate for the correct year is never issued

so initially for example that Land Rover could of been genuinely registered as a 2002 Land Rover and then someone had it declared manufactured 1986, but never requested a suitable age related plate for it

and I have also seen it where theres a vehicle imported or registered later ,used so First registered 2002 with the DVLA but made 1986 and it *is* given a 1986 reg, but then someone for whatever reason transfers the reg off the car, I then seen the vehicle get given an "age" related plate according to first registration rather then actual year of mfg

And doing a quick reg check on that Landy, would you look at that :)

https://www.freecarcheck.co.uk/free/U1I1MkdZUA-MTcwNzY5MjUxMA/

image.thumb.png.556c849f5c2ec0ab05eb1230b7265cd4.png

in this case it looks like someone put a private plate on it, then took the private plate off the vehicle, and rather then the DVLA returning the originally issued age related plate to it, they issued it with a 2002 "age related" plate instead!

Less extreme, but I have a car that's the same. First used October 2002, first registered in UK in June 2003. It was given a 52 plate

Later after a private plate change, it seems it ended up on an 03 plate

Look up FF04 GKU and KW04 YVH. They're ex military coaches from 1995 whose first civvy registrations were private plates in 2004. When they were sold and the operator kept the plates, the DVLA issued new ones based on the date of registration instead of the date of manufacture.

FF04 GKU is also wrongly licensed as a Dennis Eagle, which was the dustcart division and separate from Dennis the bus manufacturer.