Late registration madness

Mash

I'm always amused to see cars that shouldn;t have been sold as late as they are and the spots by others recently of an X-reg Maestro and '08 Rover 45 prompted me to start this thread. So what you got? I'll start the ball rolling with this K-reg Triumph 1300 that belongs to a chap I know:

Posted Image

V-reg Rover 827SLi, 2.7 Honda engined 800s were only officially made up until 1996 hence you might have got a P-reg one at a push, there are a few R-regs around aswell but thats it really.

This is one that might have been sitting in a dealership somewhere. Also interestingly, there is also another 827SLi V6? OJW going arond Birmingham, not seen it yet myself.

Posted Image

Same mate who owned the car above, also used to own a K-reg mk1 Rover 827SLi, mk1s were only ever available until J-reg.

I've also seen a 52-plate Rover 100, though I cant find the pic.

There's an N-reg Daimler XJ40 Majestic (LWB) in Dundee, and 2 N-reg Jaguar LWB's on the road (one in Truro the other maybe in Leicester). This was well into the X300 years. Rumours of a P-reg XJ40 Double Six are out there but have not yet been proven, but Japan was still taking LWB XJ40 V12 limos well in 1996. Probably given away to clear the embarassing stocks remaining.

Im certain I saw a T plate MKIII Cavalier last year, and I have seen a few 56 plate MGs/Rovers round here too. Im not sure if this counts as a late plate but there is also a L plate P100 (from 94), I just dont recall seeing any that late.

MG Rover I can sort of understand as after they went pop there must have been a few still in dealer's showrooms.

I saw (a picture of) a 'P' plate Mk3 Cavalier. It'd one 250,000 miles or something like that was an ex-taxi. I'd love a really lated plated one myself as it goes.

Locally over the years there was two 'B' plated Mk5 Cortinas (or Cortina 80's if you're an anorak!) at least one of which was a taxi and I seem to remember a 'T' reg Mk3 Cortina once.

I've seen a Cortina on an A plate but never one as late as C. There was a big demand for Cortinas when the Sierra was unveiled so it's quite amazing to see one manage 3 years without being registered.

Some fleet buyers used to stockpile vehicles and register them once they came into use. A local plumbing company had some Mk1 Astravans on an F plate. I think the Post Office had some Avengers on an A plate for the same reason.

There's three T-reg Mk3 Polo G40s (produced 1991-1994) which were exported to Saudi, and then reimported and got plates as if they were new.

TC Harrisons in Derby flogged a Cortina '80 in 2003 or something too, there was talk it could be put onto a 53 reg. I dunno if it ever did or whether it went into a collection, it was a genuine never-sold zero-miles jobbie.

Locally there's an L reg Scirocco which is pretty late, and I overtook a Mk2 Golf GTI on a K plate, in my J-plated Mk3 :)

That Jag is a '93 that got exported to NI, returned and re-registered in '98.

From the current owner:

"the first date of use was the 31/12/1993 with private reg K4 OJD

not a clue where it went, on certificate it says, First Registration 24 04 1998 (DECL/D MANUF1993)"

I seem to remember seeing pics of 70s VW vans/busses with 06/56 plates on them :?

They would be genuine, you can still get them. They are water cooled now, I think it's a VW Polo 1.4 engine.

I've seen a Mk1 Golf on a P prefix, I asked about it on here at the time and it seems it would be a South African model.

Its not unusual to see 51 reg maestros about. They were effectively kit cars that were destined for Bulgaria that were never sent over which ended up being built and sold over here by a couple of companies called Ledbury and Apple, (IIRC).

I went to a Skoda get-together a few years ago and saw a new "M" reg Skoda Estelle! Estelles were phased out by 1985 ish (new "B" reg) when the "numbered" range of cars (105 s, 105 lux, 120 lse and 130 lse and 130 gl cars) came in. How the heck a car which ceased production in the mid 1980s sat around unnoticed until the mid 1990s without anyone noticing it is something else. There ARE pictures somewhere & I'll try to find them. It's even painted in that hideous orange and black the Skodas of that age used!

Hideous Orange?

That's "Autumn Gold", man... the best colour for them!

(Though mine was once described as being "chunks in sick" for colouration)

I have also seen that M-reg one, it was for sale a couple of years back on eBay and went for a few bob. I contemplated ownership, but the roundy-light ones aren't as special to me as the later ones.

The C reg cortina estate is ex BBC - I did a work placement at the studios in glasgow in 1997 and saw it there at the time still in use and logoed up etc as a radio car with a huge aeriel in the roof. That pic i found online is obviously taken after the beeb had sold it on.. and someones plugged the aeriel hole as well!

Story i was told at the time was ford had a dozen or so mk5 low spec cortina estates which they couldnt flog and were still hanging around so the beeb bought the lot on a cheap deal.