Introducing my 1985 American ford ltd sedan

Ianlea73

6 hours ago, sierraman said:

When it’s done make sure you grow a big ferret like tash, a black suit and a thin tie and drive round like Lt Castillo in Miami Vice. I think at one point these were offered by Ford in the U.K. under the personal import scheme? 

I don't know if it relates but on the v5 it states ' customs concession, visiting forces.

Sorted through all the spares today & other than brake pads & rubber brake lines everything is here to sort the chassis. I played around inside the car & noticed 2 scary things. Thr Heater control heat/cold lever is stuck in the middle & under the bonnet it looks like the heater matrix pipes have been removed!

Also grabbed a pic of the oem wheels & the P slot hubcaps. The wheels are a massive 14x5 et28. I really like the hubcaps so I think eventually I'll get the wheels banded & refit the hubcaps & a fat sidewall tyre.

20240211_143708.jpg

20240211_143816.jpg

31 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

There are a lot of holes in the n/s suspension turret - are they factory or a result of target practice?

The same holes are on the other turret too, just hidden behind the mass of wiring. Luckily I don't think this was a farm target practice kind of car.

I found the original ford dealership badge in the car.
Fred Jones ford dealership are based in Oklahoma so confirms the smog sticker for Oklahoma in the windscreen making the car built & owned in one state before export to the UK.
It turns out Fred Jones was the biggest ford dealership in America at one point & is still in business today.

IMG-20240209-WA0000.jpg

On 11/02/2024 at 15:07, Ianlea73 said:

Sorted through all the spares today & other than brake pads & rubber brake lines everything is here to sort the chassis. I played around inside the car & noticed 2 scary things. Thr Heater control heat/cold lever is stuck in the middle & under the bonnet it looks like the heater matrix pipes have been removed!

Also grabbed a pic of the oem wheels & the P slot hubcaps. The wheels are a massive 14x5 et28. I really like the hubcaps so I think eventually I'll get the wheels banded & refit the hubcaps & a fat sidewall tyre.

20240211_143708.jpg

20240211_143816.jpg

Cracking looking motor, love the P slots, be great to see it up and running.

On 11/02/2024 at 17:19, sierraman said:

I don’t know about that but I know that years ago you could buy Australian/American Fords via special order, this included Mercury Monarchs etc. 

I remember the Australian LTD being in the UK Ford brochure in the early '80s. A not-very-successfully stretched and tarted up  Falcon XD.

6802391470_f884682bce_b.thumb.jpg.9cef887b38762beaf3c8eb7d8c4494cb.jpg

Yes foxbody based, std ford 4x108 stud pattern parts wise rockauto is your friend for std parts, Def bin the smog gear, carb may benefit from a rebuild/overhaul if it's been stood..

Check for vacuum leaks  , tons of hoses on this era engs.

These engs are prone to head gasket failure but being ohv simple swap.

If it enforced it will have not been sold new via UK dealer , non olive drab vehicles  where usually military police/ambulance issue , low milage is indicator of on base use my F350 was  40 odd thousand seem stuff virtually only just in double figures , regret not buying the one with 17 k on it mate has a V8 TD  Chevy ambulance ( ex marines) with 23K with no paperwork ( so wasn't allowed to be road regd)  bought for £500 from salvage collected from a base ( saved on "handling " fees)that all the running gear is going in his camper.

12 minutes ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

Yes foxbody based, std ford 4x108 stud pattern parts wise rockauto is your friend for std parts, Def bin the smog gear, carb may benefit from a rebuild/overhaul if it's been stood..

Check for vacuum leaks  , tons of hoses on this era engs.

These engs are prone to head gasket failure but being ohv simple swap.

If it enforced it will have not been sold new via UK dealer , non olive drab vehicles  where usually military police/ambulance issue , low milage is indicator of on base use my F350 was  40 odd thousand seem stuff virtually only just in double figures , regret not buying the one with 17 k on it mate has a V8 TD  Chevy ambulance ( ex marines) with 23K with no paperwork ( so wasn't allowed to be road regd)  bought for £500 from salvage collected from a base ( saved on "handling " fees)that all the running gear is going in his camper.

I've tried Google to see how or what to remove smog wise but literally no information. 

The carb is actually single point injection so I was looking to possibly remove & fit a carb but again I don't know enough to know what carb to go for.

Rock auto seems massively cheap. £13 for a brake caliper, plus post & tax but still really cheap.

That's interesting info on the 'on base' use. I think this was imported & did very few miles over here.