Volvo - ROFFLE! - What next?

dollywobbler

Congrats on a successful recovery! As a teen and for a bit more I reckoned these old crates were two fingers up at cars which thought that you could do better than leaf springs or sidevalves - I didn't appreciate them - but now I see the point.

Volvo were obviously years ahead of their time and realised the pitfalls the ICE motor car would fall into, so made machines which would outlast almost everything else from 1989 on, in the same way a Scottish castle will outlast the 'modern' tower block. In the future, cars with ic engines will be known generically as 'Volvos' - there'll be little else left.

Superb collection M. Wobbler, these are fab old things. Easy to mend if something does go wrong too...

They're prone to sticky caliper slide pins and odd electrical component consumption but most of the common problems are well documented on places like the VOC and fairly easily rectified.

Much preferred the two litre manual to the autos as it's a lovely box to use and you can get the best out of the smaller lump.

Look forward to updates!

Oh FFS. My last Volvo did this too!

CU-gJb-XIAQvMtD.jpg

Actual puddle.

CU-gNasWUAAjm6G.jpg

The culprit?

CU-gVgHWsAAyxui.jpg

Rodding the drains with a bit of wire soon had them draining again, but we had a seriously large amount of rain last night. It's absolutely soaked. Have done a bit of driving around with heater on and sunroof open but to be honest, that feels like trying to tame a lion with a Salman Rushdie novel. I'm not sure it did any good at all.

In more positive news, I found a suitable rear wiper blade in my garage so I can see clearly (backwards) again now. Priorities.

Good advice. I don't like steel sunroofs either. So bloody dark! I think I need a Toyota Sera in my life. 

The after-caper blues are seriously starting to kick in now. The car is home. The drama is over. Now I've got to try and crack on with the jobs it needs and somehow that's never as much fun as The Caper. Doesn't help that I've been editing up my video of the adventure and it's 18 minutes of me waffling on to the camera. I think it's crap. Made worse by a rogue biscuit crumb proving why beards are a bad idea...

The shit weather is hardly helping. Especially as one priority is to try and dry the Volvo's floors out. They're absolutely sodden. As is the passenger seat. STOP RAINING!

I've no idea where that quote came from. My brain does odd things when it's exhausted.

I haven't really posted up an awful lot of pics of the car itself in all of its glory, so here goes.

Outside, there's a lovely tidemark and patches of hand painted grimness. I like that.

CVAkFhWWoAAmEsj.jpg

Inside is generally fairly tidy unless you look up. The headlining is (of course) sagging, and the previous owner has cleverly used a wooden board to hold it up in the back. I may add to that. There's also a homebrew load space cover which has suffered a bit from my failed attempts to coax the back end out. Turns out that it grips really rather well!

CVAkROYWwAEucep.jpg

I'm hopeful that we might get even just a small amount of nice weather so I can get some actually-nice pictures. Ones that don't have that ruddy steel bar in the background.

Re puddle....

If you dont have a wet vac, a petrol station vacuum will work. Probably wont do their vac any good, but hey.....

For final drying, when driving it, have the windows and vents closed and the heat as high as it will go. Once its really hot, wang the heat to fully cold and open all windows for a couple of minutes. close windows and turn the heat back up till it gets hot and repeat ad nauseum.

This drives out the humidity in the fabrics and soundproofing.

I've been sponging water out, which has at least got rid of the puddles. It's absolutely pouring with rain though, so I'm never going to get it dried out at this rate. It's too wet even for me to risk getting the dehumidifier out as I don't have an outdoor-suitable extension lead. 

There is some good news though - no fresh water on the centre console this morning, so the sunroof drains are now functioning correctly. 

There has been some debate on Twitter about the roof rails. Vulg reckons they're off a Passat and after having a look today, they certainly aren't factory. Lots of sealant... I'm pretty sure they're not leaking but if it ever stops raining, I may spread a little of Captain Tolley's white goo around them anyway. The weather is bloody infuriating. I want to take some nice pictures of it!

They are 100%, without a shadow of a doubt MK2 Passat estate roof rails it's. The size difference between the two cars' roof area make them look quite a bit shorter. I'll even put my wallet on the line; if those aren't MK2 Passat roof rails I'll pay for your headlamp wiper blades. 

Volkswagen_Quantum_wagon_rear.jpg

I'm finding quite a bit of mould in the rear of the car, and the rear carpet is also completely sodden. Perhaps my Asshat rails are indeed leaking. It is never a good idea to cut holes in a roof! There are even some slits in the headlining which I think must have been because whoever fitted them couldn't be arsed to drop the headliner. 

I suppose the roof rail holes are within some un accessable box section too, so you cant just take the roof rails off and seal it up with some nuts, bolts and rubber washers from above the headlining...

Your issues are the exact reason I left the roof rails on the XM alone, I wanted to remove them but had nothing to plug the holes with, and they didnt leak...

Take the rails off and epoxy/sealant some plastic over the holes? Would look crap but would be waterporrof, and may peel off in the summer for fettlage...

It´s a free car, yes, but putting effort into it might be good in the long-term. 

Get it right so it becomes a nice car without such nasty things as mould and wet carpets. And if you have a bit of luck, you might sell it to a scotsman for good money. Money you could spend on the XM or even on Dolly! 

Lukas