Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

19 hours ago, JimH said:

In the process of seeing what photographic record there was left of the old tram depot museum I found this one. 

1379-large@2x.jpg

And this was what was under the cover

4759770.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=respo

I reckon that is pretty cool. 

I often wonder what the spacecraft and missions in a theoretical British space programme would've been named, America have this tendency to make everything sound exciting and dramatic, so they have the Eagle flying the Apollo mission. We'd probably have the Stoat Lander or the Marmond Harrington Lunar Traversing Device as part of Operation Lawn Tennis. 

1 hour ago, warch said:

I often wonder what the spacecraft and missions in a theoretical British space programme would've been named, America have this tendency to make everything sound exciting and dramatic, so they have the Eagle flying the Apollo mission. We'd probably have the Stoat Lander or the Marmond Harrington Lunar Traversing Device as part of Operation Lawn Tennis. 

We had a fairly mixed bag in the aircraft industry from dramatic (Vulcan, Spitfire, Lightning), to insects ( Mosquito , Tiger Moth), or plain boring named after provincial towns , (Lancaster, Stirling).

An early satellite was Prospero , so maybe Shakespeare would have been the theme.

More likely , it would be sponsored and named after a crap company like Cinch or Sun Life Over 50s plan.

Britain did have a space launch programme that ran from the early 50s to 1971. The Prospero satellite was launched by the Black Arrow rocket. The Black Arrow was a development of the Black Knight.

The Black Arrow was cancelled in 1971 ending the British space launch programme. The cancellation also gave Britain the distinction of being the only country to date to have developed a satellite launch capability and then abandoned it. 

There are wee bits left here and there. The museum at Leicester has an assembled Blue Streak and East Fortune has a bit of one on display.

We sort of didn't completely abandon it because Blue Streak ended up as a bit of the European launch vehicle.  

Leicester still has a UK developed LEROS liquid propellant rocket engine in stock although maybe not on display. These engines were (are) successful, having inserted numerous satellites into geostationary orbit (LEROS 1c and 2b) and several have been used on interplanetary missions e.g. to Mars, Mercury and Jupiter (see LEROS 1b). Successive UK governments have cut back on research spending, so my career which started in 1972 in the scientific civil service and ended on retirement in 2008 as the Engineering, Design and Development Manager, spanned civil service then Royal Ordnance (semi privatised), British Aerospace, Atlantic Research (US owned) and American Pacific (US company) ownership despite my workplace location remaining the same throughout. It has since been through MOOG ownership (US) and is currently owned by a Norwegian aerospace company which is still doing reasonable business selling the same range of rocket engines to the space industry. Probably nearly 200 missions have been equipped with these engines to date. Unfortunately, I do not have a black and white photo to catch your eyes and justify this entry 😁.

Edit: The LEROS and LTT product lines are for satellite propulsion (LTT is for attitude control and station keeping) i.e. they are not launchers.