Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

I didn't know Madrid had double deck buses.  A quick google and there's a bus museum in Madrid with 26 vehicles https://www.esmadrid.com/en/tourist-information/emt-museum ..... 26 buses is really quite a lot. 

Looks like the buses were Guy Arabs and amazingly, they still have one.  There's also references to them having 50 Leyland Titans and one surviving.  But the survivor appears to be RHD which seems unlikely so I suspect that's a later immigrant from here. 

Edit: perhaps not.  Here's a reference to another surviving Titan, which seems to be RHD but has the entrance on the right hand side also.

https://www.madridmetropolitan.com/on-the-buses-felipe-leticia-celebrate-75-years-of-emt/

9 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

Here's an LHD half cab which I found on Flickr years ago, I used to have a picture of a yard of them but can't find it on my hard drive.

That's a Mk5 AEC Regent almost undoubtably from Lisbon, Portugal.  We really used to export some stuff, didn't we?  I have never seen RHD export buses for LHD markets like those Titans though.  We're starting to mix up the bus thread and the black and white one.....

20 hours ago, lisbon_road said:

That's a Mk5 AEC Regent almost undoubtably from Lisbon, Portugal.  We really used to export some stuff, didn't we?  I have never seen RHD export buses for LHD markets like those Titans though.  We're starting to mix up the bus thread and the black and white one.....

And don't forget the ex London Q1 trolleybuses that were exported to Spain in 1962 where they kept RHD but the platform was altered (and there's a Routemaster in Bulgaria like that). Yes we are mixing up the B&W and bus tread (no thanks to my posts).

1 minute ago, busmansholiday said:

And don't forget the ex London Q1 trolleybuses that were exported to Spain in 1962 where they kept RHD but the platform was altered (and there's a Routemaster in Bulgaria like that). Yes we are mixing up the B&W and bus tread (no thanks to my posts).

Good point, though they were secondhand, so perhaps not worth modification.  The Titans seem to have been new.  I wonder if they wanted the driver to have a good view of the kerb?  Or did they get them cheap as a cancelled order (seems unlikely).  I seem to remember somewhere in the world where the steering wheels were on the apparent wrong side so that the driver could see over cliff edges or something but hardly the case in Madrid. 

23 hours ago, lisbon_road said:

I didn't know Madrid had double deck buses.  A quick google and there's a bus museum in Madrid with 26 vehicles https://www.esmadrid.com/en/tourist-information/emt-museum ..... 26 buses is really quite a lot. 

Looks like the buses were Guy Arabs and amazingly, they still have one.  There's also references to them having 50 Leyland Titans and one surviving.  But the survivor appears to be RHD which seems unlikely so I suspect that's a later immigrant from here. 

Edit: perhaps not.  Here's a reference to another surviving Titan, which seems to be RHD but has the entrance on the right hand side also.

https://www.madridmetropolitan.com/on-the-buses-felipe-leticia-celebrate-75-years-of-emt/

26 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

@lisbon_road You can see that exported ex GB buses found there way here to Spain.

The Q trolley buses are in this video. First one is from a Spanish news real of that time.

This one only has music but is shot when these trolleys were in service.

Now going further down that rabbit hole. This one again has no commentary. I oncer why the single deckers had a trailer? To hose the electric motor?

14 hours ago, Remspoor said:

Now going further down that rabbit hole. This one again has no commentary. I oncer why the single deckers had a trailer? To hose the electric motor?

I'd guess it's a gas producer rather than an electric motor but I might be wrong

7 minutes ago, barrett said:

I'd guess it's a gas producer rather than an electric motor but I might be wrong

I don't know.  I wondered if they might have a generator in there to allow running off the trolley network.  Trailers for gas producers did exist but it is a trolleybus so I can't see what they'd do with the gas, and a trailer producing gas and having a generator sounds a bit complicated.

Could be, er, parcels?

Did anyone see the single deck trolleybus where it looks as if someone has jumped out of the emergency exit on the way?  Amazing films really, people think electric buses are a new idea.  And not a battery to be charged up anywhere. 

1 minute ago, barrett said:

Oh yeah I hadn't even noticed it was a trolleybus. I don't know how they work really, but I'd have thought the electric motor would have to be connected to the driving wheels? Maybe it's just a luggage trailer?

Two wires above with a pair of booms to connect to the wires.  Motor normally under the floor very close to the rear axle.  This sort of age, speed control was by a massive drop down resistor which apparently used to get quite hot sometimes.  I believe that now sometimes they have small batteries to get across junctions with no wires or to go off route occasionally.

But yes, all these great ideas and that trailer probably has luggage in it.