Eye-catching black and whites

forddeliveryboy

image.png.f3bd2d7be6baa43a97e2ffdc1e7cd531.png

Regent Street, Saint James’s, 1930.

A rare sighting of a Burney Streamline. Designed by the aeronautical engineer Sir Dennistoun Burney it had an in-line 6-cylinder rear mounted 2 litre engine and independent suspension; it could carry 6 passengers. 12 were built, the most prominent customer was the Prince of Wales. But the engine overheated, the exhaust gasses were sucked into the passenger compartment, it was unreliable and eye bleedingly expensive. Also there was a Great Depression on. No further models were made.

26 minutes ago, martc said:

A rare sighting of a Burney Streamline. Designed by the aeronautical engineer Sir Dennistoun Burney it had an in-line 6-cylinder rear mounted 2 litre engine and independent suspension; it could carry 6 passengers. 12 were built, the most prominent customer was the Prince of Wales. But the engine overheated, the exhaust gasses were sucked into the passenger compartment, it was unreliable and eye bleedingly expensive. Also there was a Great Depression on. No further models were made.

Crossley built 25 under licence, although I'm not sure whether these were in addition to the 12 Burney Streamline prototypes quoted elsewhere. The Crossley version appeared to have a front mounted radiator.

3 hours ago, Remspoor said:

leyland.thumb.jpg.c0ef8d5436fffea72d93b0aed1091172.jpg

That looks like the former St Nicholas church in the background (now the Slug and Lettuce Bar!) in Worcester.  I can't identify the street. A lot has been demolished and rebuilt, plus pedestrianised.

I think there's a Honda Acty, 1977ish peeping through the gap on the right.

Edited by RayMK
Possible year at earliest 1977??

On 4/24/2022 at 4:49 PM, martc said:

image.png.bd3c5442bc0d10b26bcc807ccb5dd648.png

The original Michelin Man, Bibendum, 1898.

My French cast-iron one. I think it's original- very thick and very heavy metal - (just like me) but there are a lot of copies about...so who knows but a nice thing anyway.

Michelin House - the tyre company's very attractive Art Deco  headquarters still survives in London - now a restaurant.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_House

20220412_172053.jpg

On 4/24/2022 at 4:46 PM, martc said:

Burney was Member of Parliament for Uxbridge from 1922 until 1929 - a seat now occupied by one B. Johnson...

Same spot today

Screenshot_20220426-085645_Earth~2.jpg

3 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Burney was Member of Parliament for Uxbridge from 1922 until 1929 - a seat now occupied by one B. Johnson...

There has to be a joke in here somewhere - noxious fumes, unreliable, good friend of the aristocracy and a complete flop ... and then there's old BJ.