I'll show you mine...

Albert Ross

Who can beat this for sheer grimness ? 1.9 litres of naturally-aspirated, heavy-oil-fuelled, French engineering excellence. Perfect for driving to Lidl to buy cheap booze after collecting your ESA*.

*Other 'Daily Mail' stereotypes available on application.

Love it! Pov spec Renault Diesel without trims. It takes me back to when I had my Renault 19 1.9 GTD. Was a fantastic motor and as quick as the terrible Pug 205 1.8 turbo diesel I had too.

Who can beat this for sheer grimness ? 1.9 litres of naturally-aspirated, heavy-oil-fuelled, French engineering excellence. Perfect for driving to Lidl to buy cheap booze after collecting your ESA*.

*Other 'Daily Mail' stereotypes available on application.

Placing application for other 'Daily Mail' stereotypes.

Placing application for other 'Daily Mail' stereotypes.

Make your own Megane Phase I owner stereotype, combining the following options :

• no wheeltrims/rusty arches/full of dents/odd coloured panels/bits missing
  • driving around rough council estates,
  • with no valid insurance/tax/test/driving licence
  • while drunk/on drugs/both
  • running over grannies/nuns/kittens
  • on your way to sell crystal meth to innocent schoolchildren/buy crystal meth from seemingly innocent schoolchildren/visit the local brothel/buy more booze

:mrgreen:

Most of my daily running around at the moment is being done in this.

SAM_0200_zps841512b7.jpg

£155-'orth of diesel AX.  It's a Spree, so it's pretty bog-basic but does get a pop-up sunroof.  It's comprehensively knackered, but it keeps on starting every morning so I'm going to keep using it until the end of July when the T&T run out - it's got about as much chance of passing another test as I have of being the next president of the USA.  Total expenditure so far has been £1.99 for a front wiper blade and £6.62 for an oil and filter change.  I've done a couple of thousand miles in it so far and it seems to be averaging about 70mpg, which ain't bad.  It's not the most comfortable thing on a long run as the driving position is quite cramped and the driver's seat is getting saggy, but for running the 15 miles to work it's spot on.  It's nippier than I was expecting it to be too, and has no problem zipping past dithering old coots in Ford Fusions.

What a bunch of decadent softies (most of) you are.

8941226468_325c104d78_z.jpg

Pit Stop by barrogance, on Flickr

Still going fine, still making me grin, still getting me where I need to be at 45mph. Tentatively for sale to help fund a once-in-a-lifetime project that may or may not happen... so tentatively on the look out for something incredibly cheap and pre-'73 to replace it...

Might as well have my mingebag motors, then:

20101026-IMG_2126.jpg

1979 Holden Commodore VB station wagon (about as early as an estate Commodore gets) converted from 3.3 petrol to 2.8 Nissan LD28 straight six diesel conversion some time in the mid-90s. Slow, smokey and noisy but an enjoyable drive nonetheless. Performs daily duties in conjunction with this:

20130315-IMG_9787.jpg

1986 Citroen Visa GTi, a car that'd been on my bucket list (finally found out what the 'bucket' element stood for recently) since the mid-90's. Sounds a bit crap, looks quite terrible in many places but is road legal and an enjoyable drive. Was probably the only chance I'd get to own one over here, since apparently 8 were only officially sold by Citroen NZ and even those took a while to shift. Makes a nice comparison to my wife's daily:

20110701-IMG_4315.jpg

1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9. Like many cars over here, it's a Japanese import but benefits from the 130bhp engine, rather than the restricted 1.9 engines many of the Japanese market ones came with (along with rear drums and 1.6 alloys). Again, scruffy looking (and even more so after attempted theft a few days ago) but honest. We live in a town of around 700 people, so have to drive everywhere to do anything, hence a 'spare' car. Never really caused us any issues, yet.....

Might as well have my mingebag motors, then:

20101026-IMG_2126.jpg

Ooh, that's very close to being a Vauxhall Royale (or Viceroy) estate. Smart. :)

Like the Visa GTi as well, we just don't think of you upside down people getting these little Froggy cars as well.