Badly adjusted headlights rant

forddeliveryboy

Every decade beyond the grand old age of 25, you need to double light levels to maintain low-light vision.

Has that anything to do with dazzling headlamps? Not sure, but they irritate me more now than when there weren't any EU regulations stipulating remote adjustment and before MoT bodgery. When people work out what the little dashboard switch does, they all seem to wind them up as high as possible. 

Perhaps that's because too many wankers think they're clever by fitting 1000W equivalant bulbs and frying any retina which dares look into them, perhaps it's because in the grim socio-economic times we live in everyone has either to carry at least 5 people in a coil-sprung hatchback to make a journey economical or they use six Range Rovers to carry their family of five (plus dogs).

I dunno, but it's more than inconvenient at times, I had to spend twenty minutes earlier this evening pulling a not-quite-pensioner off the verge. He'd ended up there because he'd seen a bright light in the East, which turned out not to be the Honda/Mrkos comet but some (probably) drunk-in-charge shooting fraternity behind the wheel of a 4x4. The rest of the party had honked their horns as they passed, apparently. 

Oh good one of my favourite rant subjects.

We're assaulted by extremely bright lights now almost 24/7, culminating in that you're apparently a demented fool because you haven't got your headlights on because you can't be seen without in broad daylight on a beautiful July afternoon.

The end result being that the natural night vision of most people is utterly bollocksed, so they need bigger and brighter and more cocks, sorry lights, than the next man in the light wars in order to cut and thrust their way to the front and fuck everyone else.

I don't think there's necessarily any worse natural night vision in most older people, other than in the last few decades it's been completely destroyed by more and ever brighter lights.

We managed perfectly well driving round that there London (it was a nice place to be then) and other big towns with decent street lights on 2 x 5W sidelights only without running anyone over, the big benefit being that unlit pedestrians and cyclists with their Ever Readies which would use up their U2's before they got half way home wouldn't disappear into the now total blackness that lies beyond the 4 billion watt searchlights needed to pilot an important person around in their ever blingier motorised conveyance.

Out in the sticks we managed to drive perfectly fine at well over the limit with 7" sealed beams, arguably those beams gave better light scatter than the modern sharply cut off continental type beams which being so bright in the light pool anything outside is pitch black, and didn't blind every poor sod coming the other way who happens to receive a searing laser blast of white hot light as the edge of the beam pattern responds to road undulations.

Going to get worse in he future as more and more vehicles get those pointless but annoying, and staggeringly camp, DRL's, and more new cars get stupidly brighter lights to keep up with the light race.

And i haven't even started on the 14 billion lumen  red LED brake lights as fitted to new Mercs and other modern pseudo exec shit that are impossible to look at so bright they are and doubly impossible to work out the rate of deceleration because you're effin well blinded.

So much safer now, apparently.

DRL's on a lot of domestic vehicles here are either a couple of 21 Watt wide-scatter bulbs (similar to a fog light beam), the indicator lamps on (orange, acceptable) or the headlights on dip. Dim-dip main beam is much less common these days. That works, and also makes a vehicle in the shadow of a building or trees much more visible when the sun is low in the sky. Being as it's very flat here, the sun comes down to a very oblique angle.

However, all the imported nonsense has 35x 6250 Watt bright blue LED's that have computerised sensors that detect a face and point directly into the eyes of that face, blinding them pointlessly.

Europe, you are doing DRL's wrong.

Phil

Everything already said. Never has oneupmanship in car design been so stupid and dangerous. I started out fantasising about following these fuckers home and then quietly drilling straight through the front of their idiotic brighter-than-the-sun lights, ruining lens, bulb AND fitting, while they're inside watching Strictly or the footie, or some other pastime that I don't get.

But now I have a new goal. I will instead be fantasising about quietly drilling a small hole at the top of their idiotic brighter-than-the-sun lights, and then using the hole to fill said lights with petrol, so that the nuclear brightness of their lights will be replaced with a nice warm glow of a small* fire when they next drive off in broad daylight, with all their lights switched to maximum.

Who's with me?

Absolutely agree with all the above.   I personally would go back to the days of the sidelights in cities.   As for brake lights, yep, you have a handbrake.   I even took the highlevel stop light out of the Merc so it didn't reflect in my back window at night.

It amazes me that my Landcrabs and Farinas used to dim their indicator warning light if the lights were on, yet folk sit behind little TV screens in their cars with every single switch and control illuminated.   Maybe that's why their fucking headlamps have to be so bright.....

People (presumably with automatic gearboxes) standing on their brakes in traffic queues and permanently illuminating their ludicrously bright stop lights is an associated problem. You have a handbrake for a reason mate.

Passengers look at me like I've lost my fucking mind when I use the handbrake at a junction or in traffic. Seemingly it's just not the done thing.

One thing I've noticed lately is how more and more cars seem to be barely on the limit. A tiny bump in the road will amplify their headlights from just bearable to being like looking into a fucking supernova, this over a long straight blinds me with it's flashing effect. Also people driving on sidelights and fogs, how does that work? I thought full beam had to be on for fogs to operate, do you have to modify your car?

People (presumably with automatic gearboxes) standing on their brakes in traffic queues and permanently illuminating their ludicrously bright stop lights is an associated problem. You have a handbrake for a reason mate.

Some cars (I know the manual Golf hire car we had did) apply and hold the brake when stationary while keeping the back brake lights lit - even when the foot pedal is released. When you start to accelerate, the ABS module releases the brakes. The idea is I believe (so they say) so that people coming up from behind know you are stopped and less likely to rear end you.

I think this was a standard feature on it and part of the hill hold function. You probably find most users aren't even aware of it.

Yes, as above, those bloody TV screens on the dash.

I have one in the new to me Landcruiser, it controls heating and ventilation (can't call it climate control, it's too i'm such a clever fucker with me 'climate control') as well as audio/pratnav, no i didn't really want that shit but finding one in the right condition that had been looked after and didn't have serious rust issues underneath was proving difficult and lower spec models that has the typical three dials tend to get used for hard work hence worse condition, catch 22.

The screen does have one saving grace, computer has a maintenance page so you can enter dates and mileage of oil changes etc, good thing cos it saves me writing mileages on various surfaces under the bonnet, and me writing's bloody near impossible to read even for me at the best of times.

Anyway, that screen is so bloody bright that i've pre set the heating and the display is default off, now i can see up the road, the radio/cd does have its own on/off volume etc buttons and i will use the pratnav maybe once a year so the screen can stay off.

Interestingly though, the one i now have is the later model, 120 series 2003 on, the headlights of which are utter shit compared to superb lights with decent scatter on the older one 90 series 97/03 the lights of which are getting a bit cloudy anyway, the new one has little if any light scatter so i've had to join the bloody light wars mesen and had to fit Osram Nightbreaker bulbs to see me way home whilst the previous model was fine on standard bulbs, glad i did fit the new bulbs cos reckon i'd have hit a bloody unlit skip on the way home the other night.

Problem being, what the fuck has happened to Northamptonshire apart from becoming a giant warehouse for all the Chinese plastic shit in the country, the population seems to have doubled in the last 5 years and everywhere you go there's thousands of houses going up and we have the same roads that couldn't cope 20 years ago (they have stuck lots of lights on roundabouts mind which operate 24/7 and have bollocksed it all up completely, the one roundabout that does need peak time only lights, Chowns Mill Irthlingborough doesn't get them, well done chaps), if i don't finish work till near enough 5pm i have to take all sorts of weird and wonderful village/lane routes home if i don't want to sit in the sorts of queues one would expect within the piggin North Circular, and obviously these routes present their own hazards.

As for brake lights, WTF do we need 4 billion watts of lights when all you've done is covered the brake and are hardly slowing down.

Lorries are even worse, our Scania shit and some others even put the brake lights on when only the exhaust brake is in use, the exhaust brake on a Scania is about as much use as tits on charging bull, used on its own it would take roughly a mile to come to nearly rest point on a flat road.

Brake lights should long ago have been subject to higher intensity under heavy braking only, and a similar function to dim dip when the vehicle is stationary or slowing at a barely measurable rate.

I blogged on HubNut about this recently, and was shocked to discover that some moderns keep the brake lights on when you apply the handbrake. WTF?

I used to have a C4 Picasso Semi Auto. Electric handbrake centre top dash.

I'm small with short arms, could hardly reach the switch, so kept foot on brake. Rolled back now and then but the car behind stopped me!

Now have Alhambra, handbrake comes on automatically when you stop, which is good, but sometimes if you stop slowly it doesn't come on!

Handbrake switch is in the right place for a hand brake though, but you can't reach it if the centre armrest is down.

Apologies for my choice of vehicles but needs must with an electric wheelchair and associated gear.

Some cars (I know the manual Golf hire car we had did) apply and hold the brake when stationary while keeping the back brake lights lit - even when the foot pedal is released. When you start to accelerate, the ABS module releases the brakes. The idea is I believe (so they say) so that people coming up from behind know you are stopped and less likely to rear end you.

I think this was a standard feature on it and part of the hill hold function. You probably find most users aren't even aware of it.

I blogged on HubNut about this recently, and was shocked to discover that some moderns keep the brake lights on when you apply the handbrake. WTF?

I'm amazed that either of these things are even legal.

I was told a tale years ago of a guy who worked for a lighting firm;  every night on the away home he got blinded by a car drive on misaimed full beam;  night after night flashing got no response so one day he fitted up a power supply and high power  lights;  that night- no response as usual to flashing;  fired up the lights - revealing a police car;  hurried stripping off extra lights when he got home. 

These days there is no need to fit up your own death ray, just buy an expensive car (and soak up the bill when the lights go wrong?).  With modern traffic levels there are so many more you can dazzle.

I can't stand those frowning looking lights you get on Audis. Every time I see one I want to smash the lenses in.

Ha! I thought was just me!! Quite a few cars seem to have lights that give the car an aggressive face........and it fuggin works! Makes me feel negatively towards the driver even though 'rational me' knows it is only a car. Not only Audi by a long way.....in fact I'd say they are not bad............but latest gen of Pugs have angry faces

This business of oncoming lights going from all to nothing within a few mm of road undulation is something which road safety people should be looking at - how back-to-front have the autorities got things when your car will fail its annual safety* test because of a cracked number plate but you can cause an accident from your new Mercedes just by having your lights on?

gordonbennet, you make the points better than me - the one about the darkness of the shadows with all these unnecessary lumens is bang on. A few years ago I had a 6v Traction Avant which was in a wonderfully autoshite condition, the headlamps barely cast shadows in lit areas and you used everyone else's scattered light to see the road ahead when it was busy.

As you moved away from the city lights and things grew quieter, it was quite amazing - they cast a good light once your eyes adjusted, areas outside of the beams were visible and this made for more relaxed travel. I never once had a problem with deer, rabbits or other furry creatures freezing in front of me, either.

Who else has a problem with these LED rear lights strobing, especially when you move your eyes? I find that distracting and tiring if there enough of them. The bloody things are making a move on old Percy's cats eyes, too - some clever clogs has convinced a dimwit purchaser that battery-powered catseyes will be no more expensive than the old, reflective variety. What tosh.

I put a lot of this too-much-brightness and 'let's look threatening' thing to a generation of kids who've been brought up with a screen as a permanent attachment, with parents or Meccano/trainsets only random visitors into their virtual world. Consequently they've some serious self-worth problems and the whole world should light up like a computer game, for them. 

Yeah, I never understood what's wrong with Sealed Beams.

There's nothing at all wrong with sealed beams. They last for ages, you get a new reflector each time you replace them, they're the correct shape for a headlamp and when you turn them on light of a nice colour comes out. They don't go black with age. Of course they wouldn't be allowed on a car these days because pedestrians are forever cutting themselves on them.

Nothing to add that hasn't already been said TBH. A recent drive, in the dark, from Chesterfield to Lytham was just terrible. Blinding headlights rendering indicators invisible, blinding brake lights leaving red spots in my vision for a few minutes and the strobe effect from oncoming 'luxury' cars going over bumps caused real problems. Am amazed that these newer vehicles are actually legal. As already stated.

Also people driving on sidelights and fogs, how does that work? I thought full beam had to be on for fogs to operate, do you have to modify your car?

Front fogs have always been switched from the sidelight circuit as far as I'm aware.

I don't know how it is with lorries now but 2 Leyland FGs I've had were factory fitted with brake light switches on the handbrake. Whether the factory felt that the barely adequate vacuum system would often have to be supplemented by a yank on the lever I'm not sure but I disconnected mine. Whilst I'm at it I think having lights on all the time is cuntish. The next thing will be pedestrians compulsorily fitted with 'walking' lights so that blinded drivers can see them. After that they will become mandatory indoors to avert a collision with someone crossing your path on the way to the bog.

Also people driving on sidelights and fogs, how does that work? I thought full beam had to be on for fogs to operate, do you have to modify your car?

That's how it's supposed to work - or was originally.  The idea was foglights were mounted lower and gave a flatter wider beam, so they reduced the effect of dip (or even main beam) headlights have of just reflecting the beam back at you in fog.  A few previous cars I had wouldn't operate both fog and dipped headlights (sensibly in my view).  That was in the old days when foglights were about...er fog.

Since front foglights have become the symbol of every blind dim-wit they seem to have allowed them to be used with dip beam - but that is pointless IMHO unless you have really poor eyesight or are just a twat.  

I've never found a reason to use both - either dip beam is OK, or fogs (alone and only in fog) are an improvement - using both in fog just makes it worse.

I don't know how it is with lorries now but 2 Leyland FGs I've had were factory fitted with brake light switches on the handbrake. Whether the factory felt that the barely adequate vacuum system would often have to be supplemented by a yank on the lever I'm not sure but I disconnected mine. 

My ex Royal Mail Commer PB had this too.  No idea why.  <trivia> handbrake was on the front wheels too </trivia> 

BTW the tossers driving around with one or more headlights very obviously pointing into the flaming sky (or my face) worry me a lot.  How would you not notice?

I learnt to bite my tongue years ago when riding in someone's new car, with one of the beams well out of adjustment, blinding oncoming drivers. On mentioning it needed sorting, the indignant answer was along the lines of 'how could it be, it's a new car?'. I then asked why did they think some oncoming drivers were flashing their lights. "Because their old cars have dim lights and they're jealous".