First car you remember

Asimo

What is the first car you remember from childhood?

Dad's Zephyr, my wheels from 2years old.

post-17481-0-03409100-1417002404_thumb.jpg

I was heartbroken when it went for scrap. They burned it in the garden before taking it away.

Apparently the bumper came off in a towing incident.

Perhaps this early influence is why I have always liked the bumperless look.

Me dad had a '48 Velocette motorbike, when i was a nipper, went out on the back of that many times, bought his first car when i was about 6 or 7 years, '57 Hillman MInx 1500, two tone grey.

Apart from the odd neighbour, and not many working class people owned cars then, never really took much notice of cars before that Hillman.

Nearly forgot, me older sis (i was mistake much later) had a 250 Triumph scooter before me dad had a car.

My folks Austin A40, remember hitting the front seat from the back of it in an emergency stop at the age of 5. Funnily enough, was chatting to a bloke yesterday with one in the street. It was in lovely original condition and had been in storage since 1980. It had a genuine 18,000 miles on the clock.

^^Despite a similar instance in my Grandfather's MkVIII Minx I don't recall the car.  Apparently I bent the igniton key with my head.   The first motor I remember was an Uncle's A40 Devon - black and rusty with shoe-leather brown interior.   Mum and Dad never had a car until I was nearly out of Junior school, so it was mostly Grandfather's Wolseley 15/60 I remember travelling anywhere in (replacement for the Minx).   The Wulzy was rusty too - it was less than 6 years old when he sold it.

The forst car I remember my parents owning was probably this one:

IMAG0139_zps02b9ecd6.jpg

However I remember the car my parents had before it had broken down (I now know this was a Sunbeam) and was replaced with a burnt orange smokey old Marina Coupe by the garage as a courtesy car. IIRC my parents never got the Sunbeam back and got this instead. When we went to give back the Marina and pickup the Horion I was devistated and wanted 'the smelly old car'.

Maybe one for John Bowlby there......

http://www.simplypsychology.org/bowlby.html

Blimey, I remember my mums work van - an A30 (35?) van with the indicator switch in the middle of the dashboard, kept me amused for hours did that. Then she had a Mini with a long, long wavy gear lever and a button on the floor to start it. I liked that little car even more when it got resprayed in 'Aston Martin' gold with big flowers stuck on it! Well, it was the flower power era!

My Grandad had a MK111 Zephyr and I used to love going out with him on a Monday night (the only time the car ever came out of the garage) to go and see my Auntie and take her a load of shopping. He drove tanks in the war and drove the Zephyr in the same way - I was always amazed that the gearlever nerver just came off in his hand given the way he changed gear!

My father & grandfather shared a 2.6 litre Velox.

It had a front bench seat in red imitation naugahide & on one occasion it was driven into the garage, brakes pipped & a three year old me, flew off the shiny seat into the footwell. I remember it had what looked like a shiny chrome rocket on the glove box lid.

First was a white Renault 14 with red interior, bought new by my Dad in 1981 a couple of months before I was born, managed to last until 1986 before being scrapped due to rust.

Then he inherited from my grandad a 1976 BMW 2002Tii in wonderful bright orange. At the time one of my mates at school's dad had an orange Volvo 145 and another had a Brown Citroen GS - pretty much everyone elses dads had Cavaliers or Sierras - we thought we were so cool...and indeed we were.

My dad had a succession of Minors when I was small , I'm not sure if some of my memories are real or because I've seen old photos . One in particular of a 1 year old me on the roof rack of a cream split screen 2 door come s to mind . What is a real memory is going with my dad in his black 4 door 1000 to tow home a neighbours E-series Cresta, I couldn't have been more than 5 at the time.

To join in the dashboard head hitting club, I should recount the time I was on my dads lap in the front of my Grandads mk1 Cortina 1200 deluxe 2 door dark maroon in colour. Anyway Grandad hit another car and I was squashed against the metal dash by my dad- up until the last time I had a head x-ray (about 12 years ago) the dent and fracture still showed up- never did me any harm. ( apart from the full moon murders etc)

Another early memory which actually led to me buying one later in life, was my dads boss giving us ( well my mum ,me and baby brother) lifts in his Mk4 Executive, looking back he was probably shagging my mum when he knew my dad was away, never mind at least I got to go in a Zodiac!

When I was born my mum had a poo brown Allegro 1750 Sport or something - I don't remember this as by the time I was using my brain it had been traded for a bronze Chrysler Sunbeam - AFM 441S. This had its fair share of problems and more than once I was given some crudely drawn bits of paper with "Brake", "Left" and "Right" on them and told to hold them up in the window when my mum shouted instructions. It seems electrical faults were a speciality, and another journey ended at the Little Chef on the A17 just past RAF Cranwell with an AA man trying to make some of the lights work.

It also had a dented bumper. This is relevant because I came to the conclusion that every single Sunbeam had a dented bumper, I never saw one without.

Elsewhere in the family, I vaguely remember my grandma's light blue Morris 1000, their Mk3 Cortina in metallic green on a M plate (last seen brush-painted red and owned by the electrician working at the house next door to them) but these were only vague memories before a Cortina '80 appeared when I was three. Also, my uncle had loads of company cars around the time I was a nipper - white Mk2 Carlton estate was the first one I remember I think.

Even at that age I was an automotive enthusiast, we used to sit in the Ci Sprite caravan on the outskirts of Skegness (we weren't the type of people that stayed IN Skeg) and I'd watch all the comings and goings on site.... one year I got all excited because there was a Rover SD1 on the pitch next to us and the boot lock was, like, underneath the bootlid. Yeah, I was that sad. Whilst we were there we'd be visited by some elderly relative in his Moonraker Blue Montego VP and he'd give me loads of Civil Service Motoring club magazines.

My mother still reminds me of the time when we went to watch my old man playing cricket. 

Me - small kid playing with Corgi toys...

Chap walking past says,"Have you got a Brum Brum?" - which must give you some idea of how old I was, but no

For I am reputed to have replied, "It's a Mercedes Benz"

And that is the sort of irritating little shit I remain to this day.