Brand new * Sherpa

Dick Longbridge

Hmmm.

Just supposing you splashed out £10k on it, what would you do with it? Driving it would only add mileage, thus impacting on the value. It would hardly be a thing to trailer round to car/van shows either. Filling it with hedge trimmings and old plasterboard to do a tip run would definitely be out of the question also..

Maybe I am missing the point.

Hmmm.

Just supposing you splashed out £10k on it, what would you do with it? Driving it would only add mileage, thus impacting on the value. It would hardly be a thing to trailer round to car/van shows either. Filling it with hedge trimmings and old plasterboard to do a tip run would definitely be out of the question also..

Maybe I am missing the point.

My thoughts exactly.

"Timewarp" (sorry!) vehicles are very nice to see but as you say, what do you do with such a thing as any real world use will just reduce it's value (certainly in the short/medium term)?

Hack the back off and fit half a caravan, before leaving it on some wasteland near your house for 3 years until someone grasses you up to the council and they drag it away.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'd love to hear the story behind this. It's not that rare for people to stuff like this with Corvettes and stuff as an investment, but a Sherpa? Whoever is responsible for preserving this deserves a medal.

That said, there probably isn't a single use for it other than just admiring it and never driving it, which seems a shame really.

I've driven a 2.0 petrol 3.5t twin wheel luton, now that was slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

Been there done that too. Slow doesn't come close to describing the experience - glaciers move quicker. 

I'd love to hear the story behind this. It's not that rare for people to stuff like this with Corvettes and stuff as an investment, but a Sherpa? Whoever is responsible for preserving this deserves a medal.

That said, there probably isn't a single use for it other than just admiring it and never driving it, which seems a shame really.

The ebay write-up alluded to a 'Sad story' but doesn't expand saying it's going to be in a magazine article apparently. I reckon it was bought by a foreign (as it's LHD) government for it's own use or military use and ended up not being needed so was simply stored in a surplus warehouse for a couple of decades before being disposed of. It happens sometimes, was watching a 'Chasing Classic Cars' the other day and on there was a 1950 (or so) Willys Jeep that had been purchased as a kit of parts that was never put together until a few years ago. The result was a pretty well perfect Jeep with 47 miles on the clock. 

The prev owner bought it (prob at auction) and maybe had plans but never got to see them through - ill health? Family issues? He died?

As you say, what to do with it? The write-up seems to agree.

Guest Breadvan72

There is also a 4x4 Sherpa crew bus on sale for £1500 in Staffordshire.  It needs an MoT, but the fail sheet, although long, does not look too appalling.  

I have the seller's details if anyone is keen.