30ish, lubricated, German, looking for love

nev_jr

So there’s two options I have come across (ooerrrr) during my silly hobby of browsing auto trader and I’m going to do something silly. 

1. 190E cozzie

OR

2. E36 M3 

My channels of advice currently have it 2-1 to the Merc. Obviously I know I need to be aware of crispiness etc. but pros, cons, anecdotes and facts are more than welcome.

Main one being which isn’t going to tell me to fuck off and whip the arse end out on a corner? I’m not against it but it would be handy to know.

Thank you one, thank you  all. 

I would have thought the 190 isn't quite as focused a drive as an M3 especially in auto flavour which a lot of them seemed to come in

Are you looking at a 3.0 or 3.2 Evo E36?  The Evo is a much improved car but the twin vanos engine used to be the subject of scaremongering back in the day, not sure if it still is or not 

It's a nice choice to have.

I've driven the M3 and had an E36 and they're very pleasing to drive but may well get the arse out occasionally.  That's good in my book and it was only provoked by being silly, hardly a widowmaker.

190E appeals as a more grown up option, quite possibly more satisfying to own in the long term, from that era of supposed high build quality. More obscure, more class, 4 doors...

Either way, you won't go far wrong with a good one.

Interesting choice, I think I would go Merc, mostly because of the interior and general build quality and it has a real live Cosworth head for cool points

I worked at a BMW dealers for a short while in the early noughties and got to drive a few M cars including the E36. The engines are very nice but E36 interiors always felt cheap , it almost felt like after the E30 (which felt rather vault like in the way it was put together) the 36 felt flimsy. I suspect all the budget went on the multi link rear suspension, air bags and crumple zones (all positive things really) but they made savings in the interior and the general fit and finish.

The spec on the Merc is really good, brake pipes and fuel hoses are routed through the interior for safety (rally car style). The rear suspension is multi link, were as its on track Eighties rivals, Sierra and E30 M3 had trailing arm. The interior is really solid, very Merc! Just a shame it has only got 4 cylinders and the rust proofing was so, so.

Being a Merc botherer myself I'd find myself drawn to the W201 190E in this case. I think the cachet of them being developed into DTM race cars would always deep down impress me, even if the road car was a very different animal altogether.

They do rust, and they hide it well so never assume the "bank vault" build quality will make them immune from it. Plus in real world terms they are not that fast these days, but as an experience they are lovely.

The E36 feels quite modern to drive, and is actually pretty competent when pressing on. Tail out, yes, but a drive to work in the rain is unlikely to result in a near-death experience like in an S2000 or something like that.

Only have passenger experience of the fast 190, felt heavier and more keen on dab of oppo antics, but it all seemed to happen in a progressive, enjoyable way.

For your viewing pleasures, not that any of you didn’t know what they looked like anyway but have some Thursday morning eye candy. 

It’s either a natural or bias leaning towards the 190 and there has been many good points well made. But a root childhood problem of mine which may be effecting my choice is blaming BMW for being far too involved with the Brosnan Bonds and them being shit films. 

IMG_4306.thumb.jpeg.3727e58c5050b3a01166dd88fb6b5e8d.jpegIMG_4305.thumb.jpeg.91377cf390e3fd89a2d568104f8fc16c.jpeg

The e36 M3 is a proper performance car and will still feed fast today,. 

The 190 is cool but it's heavy old and  underpowered.

Both are cool but if you're looking for performance car then it would be the M3 all day for me. 

If you're looking for something that might go up in value that's different I think folk are looking at the price of the E30 M3's and wondering why these are so cheap so it may no last for long.

The 190 EVO's look amazing but seem to cost around 1/4 of a million quid. 

As much as I love the E36 M3, it’ll have to be the 190E for me. They’re a bit left field, super nice to drive and just a bit classier than the M3. 

That being said the M3 is a true drivers car and as @cort16 said, it’ll still keep up with modern “fast stuff”. Tough choice! 

My sisters ex had or has a 190 Cosworth. I’m sure he said the injection system had gone to ratshit and he was looking at replacement kit, megasquirt or something like that. No doubt makes a massive difference over tired original components. 

One thing to consider with the 16 valve 190's is the 2.3-16 engine has a single timing chain whereas the 2.5-16 engine has a duplex. Timing chain guides are difficult to come by or so i read on a merc forum a while back.