Ere Dave, you like old car's don't you?

DaveDorson

Underdelivering somewhat on the running boards.

The earlier 8's seem to have had them, but the Series E would have looked like this:

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-8-Series-E-1948-/372604667595?hash=item56c0f806cb%3Ag%3A3HYAAOSw6nhcauXA&nma=true&si=oN%252FiotSdVQVH6EhpO1UmA2Gvbg8%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Given this one actually sold for £2.5k, the asking price for a collapsing heap of rust seems a bit optimistic:

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-8-SERIES-E-HOT-ROD-RAT-ROD/143090937664?hash=item2150e26f40:g:m2IAAOSwPrdcPOrX

Those headlights look very odd.  I always remembered the Series E having headlights almost completely cowled in to the front wings and sloping headlight glass.  Perhaps difficulty in finding replacements has resulted in modern or more easily obtainable conventional units and the slightly gawky look. 

It's got a V5?  Now it needs a V8...

Seriously, that could make a lovely hot rod project, but you would need to have the time, space and skills.  So that's me out...

I don't have close to the time.

That's the biggest issue.

It needs literally everything.  I was hoping it'd be a bit rough, and need a bit of welding doing and could then be freed up, cleaned up with new tyres and brake bits and then make a reasonably easy to run about in, albeit rough as anything car.

It's really at full restoration stage, and I'm not sure the finished car is close to the cost of doing it in terms of time and expenditure.

Friend of mine is currently building an 8 based hotrod with a ford BOB V6 24v, auto box, and some other tweaks, he's interested in some of the parts on the car, so it might end up in my ownership yet, even just to rape the parts off

I was at a local open day yesterday, it was miserable weather, but the allure of rusty cars, a bacon roll, and free coffee was very strong, especially after a Saturday night with someone sending shots to my table at the local Weatherspoon's. 

Were you at Ross's ? I was going but my arthritic knee was playing up so didn't. He dropped the R4 van off tonight before I left work.

Those headlights look very odd.  I always remembered the Series E having headlights almost completely cowled in to the front wings and sloping headlight glass.  Perhaps difficulty in finding replacements has resulted in modern or more easily obtainable conventional units and the slightly gawky look. 

I believe that the 'standing out' headlights were a conversion so that standard Lucas lights could be used, in which case the original faired in ones must have been as effective as a glow-worm in a jam-jar ;)

A grand for an old heap like that, what planet are they on. It wouldn't even break for anywhere near that. I thought I heard mention of the word FREE though?

I believe that the 'standing out' headlights were a conversion so that standard Lucas lights could be used, in which case the original faired in ones must have been as effective as a glow-worm in a jam-jar ;)

Yes, a popular upgrade was marketed by Lucas specifically for these cars, using the latest block pattern lenses, i.e. the standard for the next 30 years. These cars were still plentiful in the 1960's and there seems to be no shortage of them even now.

Buy it and use it as your very own tradesman's preferred transport....

i149920.jpg

plnk052.jpg

A grand for an old heap like that, what planet are they on. It wouldn't even break for anywhere near that. I thought I heard mention of the word FREE though?

Yes, a popular upgrade was marketed by Lucas specifically for these cars, using the latest block pattern lenses, i.e. the standard for the next 30 years. These cars were still plentiful in the 1960's and there seems to be no shortage of them even now.

Buy it and use it as your very own tradesman's preferred transport....

i149920.jpg

plnk052.jpg

If it was free I'd have taken it on.

Unfortunately offered a car translated to "I might know a bloke" and then actually showing an interest made the chap think it's worth money.

Never mind eh?