LightBulbFun

Invacar Model 70 Acquired! and general ramble thread, index on page 1, Multi person Multi day Multi Invacar Multi collection caper :)

Ref the sorn,I had the exact same thing buying a sorned bike recently,got that message with the new slip,then tried later and it said wrong code (v5 had been changed to my name) then when I got v5 it said it was already sorn so I couldn't do it.emailed doovla and told them,they said it was an error on their system,notified department I had sorned it,and got a sorn confirmation in post a few days later.

2 hours ago, skoda_fan said:

Have just caught up with this and just wanted to add my congrats. Your enthusiasm and depth of knowledge at the Hammond collection meet were both obvious and infectious. So pleased for you. Well done and have fun with it. (Btw I'm the guy with the Jap Sherpa convertible :-) .)

1 hour ago, plasticvandan said:

Ref the sorn,I had the exact same thing buying a sorned bike recently,got that message with the new slip,then tried later and it said wrong code (v5 had been changed to my name) then when I got v5 it said it was already sorn so I couldn't do it.emailed doovla and told them,they said it was an error on their system,notified department I had sorned it,and got a sorn confirmation in post a few days later.

thanks for the heads up, ill keep an eye on things over the coming days, and if nothing progresses then ill poke the DVLA about it

did your bike have its Date of V5 issued updated when it said the wrong code?

(mine is still showing 2012, which was the second V5 in the seller's name)

and thats the pile of paperwork that is REV451Rs history, individually sleeved and stuck into a ring binder :)

image.thumb.png.7656295792bc47a2e25f8c09e9ce31fc.png

most of it is from 2012-2013 when the DVLA suddenly decided to class REV451R as a Class 2 Invalid carriage, which broke the system and caused all sorts of issues, luckily that has been long since resolved I think!

but there is some of it dating back to 1985 when Mr Webb first acquired her, and it does list the details of the first owner :) a  Mrs Constance Nina Bendall (does that mean anything to anyone? I wonder what her story is, ie why did she buy a Model 70 privately etc)

also on that 1985 document it specifically lists the unladen weight as 413.2Kg (on later docs its listed as 413.0Kg)

and on a personal note, it looks like the fit note I got from my GP has done the trick, and the government seem to be paying me benefits again for now, im guessing until the tribunal happens (although a date for that aint been set yet)

which means i'll have some consistent income to pay for driving lessons and the like woo! :)

heres a couple more interesting things iv noticed while thumbing through the history file 

on the 1985 V5 I have of REV451R (well its a photocopy of it) the "INV" part of the chassis number is already a 1 which is interesting to see, I have wondered if that was a fairly recent thing or not (for those who dont know if a chassis number contains the letter I, that letter I gets interpreted back as a number 1 by the DVLA)

its worth noting that SOI7570, does actually report back INV rather then 1NV, so it looks like they handled things differently when digitising everything in NI (which makes sense as IIRC @Datsuncog said it was all done by hand in NI)

and in the 2000 V5 I have (this is the actual V5) from when John first got REV, there is an option on the V5 under Section C to tell the DVLA that you have scrapped the vehicle, so that explains the scrapped markers despite things predating the CoD :) (with this scrapped, tick box missing from the 2012 V5 I have, because I guess by then the CoD was a thing)

its very interesting to see how the V5 itself evolved over time, there's a lot more fields (most of which are empty LOL) on the 2012 V5 then say compared to the 1985 V5 or even the 2000 V5

it will be interesting to see what the V5 looks like when that arrives in my name :)

another couple interesting things, was Dennis webb had REV451R, insured via motorbike insurance company. never thought about trying to insure it that way...

(I just automatically ruled it out, since well its not a Motorcycle!)

mind we are talking 19 years ago here and i know things have changed since then!

as a side note I just had a bit of a brain wave, the last keeper details where only removed when GDPR kicked in right?

and IIRC @dollywobbler got TWCs V5 before GDPR kicked in, so it should have the last users details on there :) would be very cool to see if they are still alive and track them down so they can say hello to their old invacar again!

(DHSS invalid vehicles issued long time to a user had the V5 put in their name)

You won't insure it with a bike company now,they won't touch Reliants these days do you have no chance with them. I would start ringing round soon,as you are going to have a long hard time of it,as you meet every criteria that insurance companies hate,London,no off road parking,unemployed,under 25,no driving experience,a three wheeler registered in a defunct category,that is widely understood to have been made "illegal" in 2003,I know it's incorrect,but it's widely believed.I would get in contact with the nabd,national ass bikers with disability,don't let the biker big put you off,it's essentially a body for disabled people with all manner of one off trikes,bikes and sidecars etc etc.membership may even open doors to insuring the thing.

20 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

If you've got a copy of the 85 V5, surely that'll have a keeper's contact details on it? 

indeed thats how I found out who the original owner was :) all 3 V5s have the previous keepers details listed (Im guessing with the GDPR rules, the one in my name wont have it?)

9 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

but there is some of it dating back to 1985 when Mr Webb first acquired her, and it does list the details of the first owner :) a  Mrs Constance Nina Bendall (does that mean anything to anyone? I wonder what her story is, ie why did she buy a Model 70 privately etc)

(I just wasn't sure when typing that up if what I was looking at was a old V5 or something else)

15 minutes ago, plasticvandan said:

You won't insure it with a bike company now,they won't touch Reliants these days do you have no chance with them. I would start ringing round soon,as you are going to have a long hard time of it,as you meet every criteria that insurance companies hate,London,no off road parking,unemployed,under 25,no driving experience,a three wheeler registered in a defunct category,that is widely understood to have been made "illegal" in 2003,I know it's incorrect,but it's widely believed.I would get in contact with the nabd,national ass bikers with disability,don't let the biker big put you off,it's essentially a body for disabled people with all manner of one off trikes,bikes and sidecars etc etc.membership may even open doors to insuring the thing.

yeah ill be feeling things out in the coming weeks, thankfully having it very kindly parked off the road for me, has afforded me a bit of a breather to take things a better pace and not have to rush anything :)

(NB this Model 70 being a private Model 70 means its 101% clean regarding it being "stolen" from the government or anything such, not that, that means anything these days since the invalid vehicle service has long since ceased to exist :))

2 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

I'll just leave this here... :-)

178409893_16-Jul-19-DollyandREV.thumb.JPG.6bffca6ff368d3ebd928ed840f2c4a21.JPG

ohh exciting!

1 minute ago, plasticvandan said:

One wonders how private owners were able to obtain spares,as the dhss central stores wouldn't supply anything to the public,hence why it was all destroyed

from what I understand since the mid 1950s or so the DHSS had an agreement where they would service private examples free of charge as if they were their own :)

3 minutes ago, egg said:

@LightBulbFun - nice to see your original screen wash bottle is intact - quite a miracle that it's not been smashed (bet it is a bit brittle).

I was thinking you regarding that, theres a second hand bottle in the bundle of spare parts :)

(I went to pump the windscreen washer fluid for dollywobbler reasons, got 1 weak squirt and then it was all over LOL I looked over and saw theres not really any fluid left in the bottle, so that will need sorting, hopefully the pump is alright)

I think we have enough Model 70's floating around to replicate this now :mrgreen:

freegifmaker.me_2eGbw.gif

for those wondering, speaking to Zel he confirmed that his mould lines on TPA are still more rounded then whats on an Invacar Model 70' even after he stripped the 700 layers of paint from TPA

so my way of detecting an AC vs Invacar rear bodys still stands :) 

but one thing I do wonder is, all the Invacar body work I have been able to inspect up close bar TWC has been from after the 1975 Factory fire

so I do wonder if pre 1975 Invacar Model 70's have different mould lines, and I wonder if are they more like AC mould lines hence explaining TWCs rear body work, or does TWC really actually have the rear body work from an AC?

@st185cs if you could post detailed rear pictures of NOO738M and WHK372L it would be greatly appreciated! those 2 Predate the factory fire, so assuming they have their original body work, it would finally fill in all the gaps I have in my research regarding the rear body work mouldings :)

23 hours ago, plasticvandan said:

Plus one for the NABD.

They know their stuff and will help you, expect you to join of course.

They also run a good Rally, but it;s a long way from that London.

since everything has been collected etc I can now share the 2 videos I was given during the sales period :) there not much but I figured id share them for completeness sake :) (I did not share them initially as it showed who the seller was and I did not want anyone interfering with anything etc)

interesting to note OPH868R has a starter dog, where as REV451R does not...

it would be interesting to compare engine numbers :)