What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

I never thought I would say this but ... car insurance. Yes, car insurance has made me a bit happy this morning. After years of seemingly being unable to get quotes for less than £300 quid on my old runabouts I insured the Chavalier for £190 in May and we just got the renewal through for the Mongdeo at £216. Now obviously I used the confusedcat site for a quick check and got it for £176 from More Than.  2 or 3 years ago we couldn't get it for less than about £320. 

It's still pretty much half the cars value but I doubt I could insure anything for a year on comp cover with protected discount for much less. I guess it's the only slight positive of being in your mid 40's. 

My van passed it's MOT with just an advisory on the front discs being rusty - seeing as it's not turned a wheel since I last taxed it I'd expect it, so that's £120 wasted on tax, which is due again this week but it's only money.

They sorted the non charging issue with a new alternator so another £120 on tax and it's back on the road.

Couple of car boots to clear some "Trebusing" out then time to get it sold. :smile:

Wonder how much soil I can get in the back....  :-P

Not motoring related but my adopted ex-stray cat died a long and poison riddled death last night and my girlfriend is the length of a country away and drifting further day by day but I have found great joy and solace in, of all things, origaymi. I'm sure the happiness it has brought me the last day or so is related to the fact that I can't think of anything else whilst doing it but who cares.

I would suggest it to anyone trying to shut out any miserable thoughts.

IMG_20130723_220955.jpg

Oh and the vodka lurking in the background helps too.

Having read it on here I took the advise of Bikeman Billy and advertised my first bicycle on Gumtree.Just three days after listing it has sold.Very easy and pleasant transaction and I've made a tidy profit too.My local house clearance auction often has a bike or two so I've been buying a few and listing them on ebay.After fitting new tyres and the listing and selling fees were taken into consideration the last bike I sold on ebay, a very rare Falcon lightweight tourer, I earned the princely sum of.....my money back (just).This got me all disheartened until I read that post.After the success of my first advert I've now got my mojo back and am about to drag another bike out of the shed and get it ready for sale.

I live right next to an airfield and get Cessna's and private airplanes coming into land and taking off very regularly in the day and through the night. It's ace seeing these things taxi-ing about and then going full throttle through my balcony doors.

Also read it costs a Cessna 10 quid to land and then 30 quid to park it over night.

Having read it on here I took the advise of Bikeman Billy and advertised my first bicycle on Gumtree.Just three days after listing it has sold.Very easy and pleasant transaction and I've made a tidy profit too.My local house clearance auction often has a bike or two so I've been buying a few and listing them on ebay.After fitting new tyres and the listing and selling fees were taken into consideration the last bike I sold on ebay, a very rare Falcon lightweight tourer, I earned the princely sum of.....my money back (just).This got me all disheartened until I read that post.After the success of my first advert I've now got my mojo back and am about to drag another bike out of the shed and get it ready for sale.

Good stuff, I've shifted shit loads recently and (thanks to FaceAche and eBay) I've bought a couple of right crackers at a very nice price. Just doing one up (a very nicely spec'd Kona) and then have a decent Trek hybrid to go.

Gumtree seems to be the place for really obscenely cheap cars at the moment. There's a lot of people who have just bought a new car and advertise taxed and MOT'd stuff for 200-300 quid, and they're perfectly drivable.

Preloved is also good, but have never bought or sold off there.

I had one of those Technics, wat... The display had a short so a few segments lit up when they shouldn't have but it survived many house moves and sounded ace. If they're beer money I might buy another, I think the ex wife binned mine.