The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

It's for you to judge but I would certainly think so.  If I was putting a full set on a 740 I'd be trying damned hard to get some.  I mean, look, I went to all the trouble of having a set of 5 sent to Cyprus for my Granada, didn't I?

post-4559-0-73492800-1504529666_thumb.jpg

Let's face it banger racers can manage decent lap times running one or more corners on the rims and still keep it all under control.

A lot of the "cheque book racers" spend more  on their tyres than most people on here would for their road cars. Its more prevalent on tarmac tracks "down sarf"  where a lot of the racing consists of corner weighted hotrods running built race tuned engines rubbing door handles. If you turned up at Warton or Barford with that set up you wouldnt get past the first corner. Its the reason why many people (myself included) prefer shale racing. 

A lot of the "cheque book racers" spend more on their tyres than most people on here would for their road cars. Its more prevalent on tarmac tracks "down sarf" where a lot of the racing consists of corner weighted hotrods running built race tuned engines rubbing door handles. If you turned up at Warton or Barford with that set up you wouldnt get past the first corner. Its the reason why many people (myself included) prefer shale racing.

I remember talking to a F2 driver 20+ years ago who said exactly the same - on shale it's about driver ability rather than outright power

Tyres do make a difference.  Had an horrendous combo on the Rover when I got it and almost understeered into traffic on a slow junction entry.  Ask Mike, I was following him and not doing anything daft speed wise and he wondered why I suddenly just sort of went sideways.  Replaced them with some ultra cheap, brand new Corsa 122s which were all I could afford at the time and they were fine in the dry.  As soon as it was wet I drove like everything was sheet ice because that's how little confidence they gave.  Changed those for some 3 year old, barely worn, Firestones and now the car sticks to the road like shit to a blanket.

Likewise the Princess when I got it was on a right old mishmash with Kingpin Remoulds, Camacs and bigger tyres on one axle than the other.  Lots of wobbly wheel action and general rubbishness of handling which was admirably ironed out by the Princess' suspension.  Went through a variety of part worn and rubbishy tyres over the years until recently when fitting a full matched set of mid-range tyres (I've forgotten what make) and it handles and drives much nicer as a result.

The most expensive tyres I've fitted were some Pirellis on my Mk2 Polo.  Amazing amounts of grip but quite soft so went through them fairly rapidly.

Didn't seem to matter what was on the Xantia or BX, the suspension seemed to do all the work needed to keep the car on the road.  I reckon you could probably put Onelife Dingdong Rollovers on and they'd still drive like they were on rails.

I used to fit Avon tyres years ago when I was working in a garage. They were always nice soft quality tyres but they didn't seem to last terribly long.

I've never had them on my own cars though. Any opinions about them?

I like soft and comfortable, far more important to me than energy savers or long lasting!

Didn't seem to matter what was on the Xantia or BX, the suspension seemed to do all the work needed to keep the car on the road.  I reckon you could probably put Onelife Dingdong Rollovers on and they'd still drive like they were on rails.

On old Michelins, the Green Tiger could display impressive power understeer in the wet. With 71bhp... Also remember my Pug 306 DTurbo, which on Goodyears, could wheelspin in third gear when it was wet. Horrific. 

I used to fit Avon tyres years ago when I was working in a garage. They were always nice soft quality tyres but they didn't seem to last terribly long.

I've never had them on my own cars though. Any opinions about them?

I like soft and comfortable, far more important to me than energy savers or long lasting!

I had avons on the front of my old xantia for 2 weeks, they were very good...

I'm not suggesting that good tyres aren't worth anything - they are - but good tyres are only any good if they are in contact with the road.

DAMPERS! DAMPERS!! DAMPERS!!

I remember the 'get them checked, get them changed' advertising campaign in the early 1990s highlighting the dangers of worn dampers ;)

I won some money online on the lottery page so I decided to treat myself to some new rear mudflaps and a rear wiper for the Rover from Rimmer Brothers, today this arrived...

d06ae2ca811082bb0774a36edd283525.jpg

7d2ffb21a74cde1ae972ef318813a39e.jpg

£5 with the vat for a wiper with missing paint, a kinked rubber and rust which is in worse condition that the old one! I'm a bit gobsmacked that a company would have even sent this out! I will be having words tomorrow.

It's a second hand one of a old car, it's rusty and the wiper is totally shagged! You would thought a big company like the that would be embarrassed to send it out! I'm tempted to post the photos and complain on their Facebook page but i think that's shit stirring a bit.