Part worn's

stripped fred

What are people's opinions of them? I need a couple of tyres for my Alfa which are 215/45 17's. I'm in two minds whether it's a keeper or not. I've been quoted £75 each fitted at my local tyre place for Kumho's which I have on the front and have been good. I've seen the same ones part worn on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=201418109301&alt=web

£73.99 with decent tread although I'd have to factor in fitting. Is it worth it?

I've no problem with part worns, I factor in a tenner to have them fitted and do the maths. That said, I can get new Nexens off Tyreleader for the price of part worn Toyo's so I'll go with new this time.

The X is getting a pair of part worns on the back, it won't be doing the mileage that the F is doing and given it's on 13s, I can get better used tyres far cheaper for it than I can for the F.

Which reminds me, payday, off to the tyreleader thread...

What are people's opinions of them? I need a couple of tyres for my Alfa which are 215/45 17's. I'm in two minds whether it's a keeper or not. I've been quoted £75 each fitted at my local tyre place for Kumho's which I have on the front and have been good. I've seen the same ones part worn on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=201418109301&alt=web

£73.99 with decent tread although I'd have to factor in fitting. Is it worth it?

Theres a place down woodgate(slater street)charge £25 fitted for tyres that size :-D

Don't do it, I bought 4 part worns just before my holiday and as I drove off the forecourt and the steering wheel started to go into a fit I had to turn around and have them changed. I went back 5 times and had each end every one in turn swapped for another tyre, They started coming out with " your suspensions just given up the ghost" or You've belted the kurb, I nearly belted him!! the car drove perfectly okay when I drove in.

I still have 2 tyres with flat spots that thud thud thud as I drive along, I just could not be arsed to argue/fight any more and decided to just put it down to experience/being stupid. I will buy some cheap Chinese tyres and play daredevil when it comes to bends in the rain!

I used to buy part worns until one day I measured the tread on them and sadly enough sat with excel and worked out how much tread I had left on them till they were illegal and then how much per mm this costed. I then did the same with a new tyre. They were barely any cheaper.

I found http://my-cheap-tyres.co.uk/to be a good source of tyres, it's checks the prices at a number of different websites and also seems to somehow apply a discount to them so it's cheaper to buy from the link in http://my-cheap-tyres.co.uk/ to say blackcircles rather than the going direct to the blackcircles yourself.

For example of my shed: 185/60 R14

el cheapo: King Meiler HPZ Tyre £ 25,90

decent tyre: Bf Goodrich G Grip Tyre £ 29,57 I pay £10 each to be fitted locally so for me it's just not worth it.

Looking at your Alfa size a couple of examples:

King Meiler HPZ 215/45 R17 87V £ 31,90 each delivered

Nankang Ultra Sport Ns 2 215/45 R17 91V £ 43,29 each delivered

Brand new Uniroyal Rainsport3 on Tyreleader @ £57.59 each free delivery....i've got them on my W124 Merc and they stick like the proverbial to a blanket.

You can get loads of Asian shit for much less but my experiment of a couple of years ago, and nearly all other sensible evidence i see and hear agrees the wet grip of these other makes is questionable at best and lethal at worst.

Brand new Uniroyal Rainsport3 on Tyreleader @ £57.59 each free delivery....i've got them on my W124 Merc and they stick like the proverbial to a blanket.

You can get loads of Asian shit for much less but my experiment of a couple of years ago, and nearly all other sensible evidence i see and hear agrees the wet grip of these other makes is questionable at best and lethal at worst.

What size is the tyre?

What size is the tyre?

As requested in the OP, 215/45 x 17.

On my MB they're actually 225/45 x 17...yes i know bloody stupid size and should have stayed with 195/65 x 15's or 205/60 x 15, however the way this thing now sticks to the road on long fast bends does make up for the loss of some of the magic carpet ride.

As requested in the OP, 215/45 x 17.

On my MB they're actually 225/45 x 17...yes i know bloody stupid size and should have stayed with 195/65 x 15's or 205/60 x 15, however the way this thing now sticks to the road on long fast bends does make up for the loss of some of the magic carpet ride.

That's a good price! my-cheap-tyres price:

Rainsport 3 tyre 215/45 R17 87Y  Ã‚£ 61,55

I'll have to keep tyreleader in mind looks like a good site :)

Thanks for the comments. Having looked around a bit more there isn't that much of a saving especially with the £15 a tyre fitting cost I've been quoted. I think they would need to be cheaper to make it worthwhile.

The true cheapskate way is to buy a set of wheels that fit your car and are already shod with decent tyres - if you're patient enough you can grab some real bargains ! Last set I bought was just under £50 for four alloys with matching tyres. That's less than the fitting of four part worns would cost alone.

I

The true cheapskate way is to buy a set of wheels that fit your car and are already shod with decent tyres - if you're patient enough you can grab some real bargains ! Last set I bought was just under £50 for four alloys with matching tyres. That's less than the fitting of four part worns would cost alone.

When I ran a 3.0 Omega Elite I bought a 3.0 estate for £350 just for it's brand new goodyears all round, swapped them over along with a  cat and then got £450 for the estate :-D   .

Part worns around here used to be ok, I had some on the XM. Had some on the ZX at the beginning of the year and thye were shyte. 2-3mm tread, all different patterns and makes, it pushed me towards brand new. 

Add in the fact that I wore a pair of part worns down on the ZX within 2 months, and the current uniroyals are showing no wear at all (and I check regularly because the tracking needs doing, and I really should get that done before it starts wearing them down) I'm a new tyre convert.

Would still dive into the part worn place if I get a puncture whilst out and about to see me through until payday though, nowt against them, although I do give them a quick informal checkover whilst chatting to the bloke doing it.

I

When I ran a 3.0 Omega Elite I bought a 3.0 estate for £350 just for it's brand new goodyears all round, swapped them over along with a cat and then got £450 for the estate :-D .

When my metro needed tyres I'd simply buy an MOT failure from the auction for £15 plus fees and swap the metric tyres over before weighing the rest of the car in.

Just found my Fiesta has got probably one of the original Firestones it left the factory with. Sidewall is fucked. Did contemplate putting a part worn on but my garage has literally sold all of them. It is the great unknown though putting one on. Has it had an easy life or has it been bumped up and down kerbs every day?

Basically - what he said!!!

See other thread on these tyres and Tyreleader - recommended, both of them.

Used to buy part-worns, never had a problem but as Bren said, they aren't anywhere near as cheap as they used to be so don't really make sense to me anymore esp when new can be amazingly cheap.