Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - An evening with the cows!

Six-cylinder

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

. No one knows but I went over the passenger side rear flank of the rolls with Dodo Juice Rainforest Rub paste wax and it left such a deeper glossier finish. 

Don’t worry, your secrets safe here. Useful  information thanks. I’m interested to know of any product that seems to offer protection for longer than a month or so. I’ve a vehicle that has paint that oxidises as soon as you look at it, so would like to find something that lasts a while longer.

5 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

When I attended the RR School in 1983, I remember being warned about the annoying noises made by these modern leather rimmed steering wheels when shuffling the wheel. The only time passengers should be aware of the chauffeur is if you’ve been asked to hurry somewhere, then you should drive at the same speed but make a few exaggerated steering or pedal inputs to give the impression of going faster. 
To be fair the senior instructor was probably there when @Six-cylinder’s car was made.

Back in the mid 1990's one of the directors of the company I worked for had a new Bentley Turbo R which I got to ride in, they were several annoying squeaks that I was told was the leather rubbing. 

Today has been a Rolls Royce day, first I topped off the fuel as I had no idea what the fuel consumption is. It took just 7.2 gals to top off its 18 gal tank, driven 104.5 miles = 14.5 mpg.

Next was a trip to Milton Keynes Car Club breakfast meeting followed by a drop in at Buckinging garden centre where Mrs6C was participating in an Apple weekend. My friend Gerry was also there with his MG3.

42 miles today brings the total since I have owned the 20/25 at the end of July to 350 miles.

IMG_20231001_084910 broad.jpg

IMG_20231001_092524 broad.jpg

IMG_20231001_125047 broad.jpg

Oooh very nice! Tighter, more rounder beading from the paste wax but that ceramic everywhere else is doing a good job! By the end of your road that will all have run off and it'll be dry

We need to find something for the top vinyl. Almost like just a plain wax so the water beads straight off but that doesn't ruin the vinyl

Waaaaaay back in time I worked for a professional valeting company collecting and delivering cars. I was 17/18 so this would be around 1979. Vinyl roofs were common then, and the treatment for them was a 50/50 mix of kerosene and new engine oil. Mixed in a jam jar, shaken before use and applied with a new clean duster torn up T-Shirt. Always looked good when they went to auction though how long it lasted I have no idea.

9 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

These things are made to be used - go on get it grubby.. 

I fully agree! 70% of all this is making it water repelling! There's alot of places water sits in it and on it I found, they all need to be addressed so all it needs after a good rain shower is a brisk drive to dry off! 

The 30% making it look nice part comes by accident 

On 9/30/2023 at 8:20 PM, beko1987 said:

tbh I use the Autosmart Korrosol nowadays, it's so good and goes a long way! 

I ordered a sprayer of this when I read the post and tried it out yesterday on a much manky set of Pug wheels that are a total b'stad to get clean - absolute time saver plus they're cleaner than they've ever been in my ownership - thanks

19 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

I ordered a sprayer of this when I read the post and tried it out yesterday on a much manky set of Pug wheels that are a total b'stad to get clean - absolute time saver plus they're cleaner than they've ever been in my ownership - thanks

Awesome, glad you like it! The smell is an acquired taste though 😂

Should find you won't need as much next time, that purple reaction is all the fallout being dissolved (mist it on the car paintwork too and marvel, although don't let it dry) so once their clean once a few light mists and a general scrub down should see it done! 

I have collected the Xantia Activa today with a fresh MOT. It failed first try because of number plate XAN 71A character spacing. We knew there was an issue over the number plates after last years MOT and my garage recommended I had some new ones made. I had forgotten, but my garage found them in the boot to please the MOT examiner.

Lucky lacquer peel is not an MOT failure point!

IMG_20231003_132513 broad.jpg

On 10/1/2023 at 10:43 AM, NorfolkNWeigh said:

When I attended the RR School in 1983, I remember being warned about the annoying noises made by these modern leather rimmed steering wheels when shuffling the wheel. The only time passengers should be aware of the chauffeur is if you’ve been asked to hurry somewhere, then you should drive at the same speed but make a few exaggerated steering or pedal inputs to give the impression of going faster. 
To be fair the senior instructor was probably there when @Six-cylinder’s car was made.

A good friend in the 2cv club did the course when ( or probably before ) he was chauffeur to Cyril lord ( carpets).  He told me a few tricks to smooth driving.

On 10/1/2023 at 4:08 PM, Six-cylinder said:

Back in the mid 1990's one of the directors of the company I worked for had a new Bentley Turbo R which I got to ride in, they were several annoying squeaks that I was told was the leather rubbing. 

Around the mid to late 90s, the Bentley factory in Crewe would regularly send some of their youngest staff out in the cars to listen for any squeaks and/or rattles. I think the logic was that younger ears are capable of hearing a wider range of frequencies and would detect any annoying squeaks. The result was often young scrotes hooning brand new Bentleys round certain routes near Crewe in a most un-chauffeur like way. 

Tonights motoring job was to knock the large dents out of the front doors in the Vauxhall Royale. My fiend Colin came round and took the driver's interior door trim off and worked away at getting the worst of the dent out but really the door is quite rusty. We were going to do the passenger front door as well but the sun broke and it got dark!

IMG_20231004_182727 broad.jpg

IMG_20231004_184359 broad.jpg

IMG_20231004_184852 broad.jpg

6 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Tonights motoring job was to knock the large dents out of the front doors in the Vauxhall Royale. My fiend Colin came round and took the driver's interior door trim off and worked away at getting the worst of the dent out but really the door is quite rusty. We were going to do the passenger front door as well but the sun broke and it got dark!

IMG_20231004_182727 broad.jpg

IMG_20231004_184359 broad.jpg

IMG_20231004_184852 broad.jpg

You should get him looking at the deer dents on my* merc.

Today’s car adventure was to visit my friend Ian who has a 1935 Rolls Royce 20/25. Ian has recently bought a 5 ton 4 post lift large enough for a Rolls Royce and he invited me bring my 20/25 over and we would have a look over/under it. Three thing have been concerning me about my car, the brakes seem to pull to the right, it is hard to get it into gear when stationary and is the chassis lube system functioning.

We started with the brakes which are cable operated, but have a mechanical servo. In fact the front brakes are not directly pulled on by the brake pedal but are pulled on by the servo which has a drive plate from the gearbox and friction clutches to power the activator. The hand brake has separate cables. We tested the movement of the brake shoe operating arms by manually pulling on the cable and found the left front moved a lot further that the right front. We adjusted the front brakes so they had equal movement and now the car pulls up square with reasonable authority.

The chassis lubrication is a lever under the dash that pushes oil out to various points under the car and it all seems to work well leaving oil drips on many points. This is why the underside of the car is rather oily.

The problem engaging gears when stationary appears to be the clutch is not quite fully disengaging leaving gears turning in the gearbox. We tried taking some of the free play out of the clutch pedal but that did not help. The next thing to do is check the clutch finger clearances, but this involves taking up the floorboards and unbolting the clutch inspection plate on the bellhousing and Ian did not have time to do that today.  

Between my trip to see Ian, test drive and taking some fiends for a ride this afternoon I have driven my Rolls Royce 66 miles today.

IMG_20231005_105421 broad.jpg

IMG_20231005_102933 broad.jpg

IMG_20231005_104314 broad.jpg

IMG_20231005_120536 broad.jpg

IMG_20231005_122556 broad.jpg

IMG_20231005_122720 broad.jpg

IMG_20231005_145419 broad.jpg

21 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Yours looks cleaner too! 

Yes I heard you kidnapped some OAP's and went for a joyride

FB_IMG_1696529027961.jpg

Nice fix re the brakes! Did you note where these oil ports were and if I need to be careful of any cleaning it next year? 

And how did the carpet dry? Does it smell still? Hasn't gone crispy has it? 

I had the idea the OAPs were disapointed their grand children had been taken out, but not them.

The oily bits are under the car and not a problem for cleaning the body.

The carpets have dryed and still in good condition. Mrs6C thinks I should shake and vac before they are refitted to the car.

Not sure your poor miele will cope with such abuse! (does terrible things to vacuums and sealed bearings does shake n vac! Ironically the Hoover Ranger they used in the original adverts was the worst cleaner as its not sealed up. It must have killed thousands of them 😢