2000 Jaguar XJ8

PhilA

now thats all of the Brave, especially in the US where I cant imagine there are many other dead XJ's you can pillage parts from is there?

seeing the AJ-V8 makes yearn for the RHD Lincoln LS they made like 1 or 2 of and no more, what a cock-tease, weirdly 3.9 vs 4.0 in the Jag, go figure....

4 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

now thats all of the Brave, especially in the US where I cant imagine there are many other dead XJ's you can pillage parts from is there?

When the ex me, ex Volksy, ex Barefoot, ex Volksy again XJ8 shat its gearbox at the beginning of Covid, they guy who bought it ran a business just crating the engines and sending them to the USA . He didn't even break the rest of the body, he just fragged it as there wasn't any money for him in  the rest of it.

4 hours ago, SiC said:

It's a bit of a shame that cars in the UK need a front number plate. They definitely spoil the line of a car. 

Depends on the state, some require a front plate also. Louisiana is not one of those states though thankfully. 

Also, the trunk lid appears to ne a USA-specific pressing...?

14 hours ago, PhilA said:

This one arrived in pieces. 

It has suffered severe OMGHGF and then the red lights were ignored and it was driven until it drove no more. 

one thing I find interesting about modern cars, is that they have no protection against that

what I mean is take a computer processor for example, for a long time now if you remove the heatsink and try to overheat it, they will throttle themselves back and eventually turn themselves off to stop them cooking themselves

so I have to wonder why cars dont have a similar thing, if the temperature goes silly or oil pressure suddenly vanishes for one reason or another, why dont they shut down to protect themselves?

EDIT: thinking about it, is it a safety thing? the car keeps running to allow you to (in theory) get to a place of safety?

10 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

one thing I find interesting about modern cars, is that they have no protection against that

what I mean is take a computer processor for example, for a long time now if you remove the heatsink and try to overheat it, they will throttle themselves back and eventually turn themselves off to stop them cooking themselves

so I have to wonder why cars dont have a similar thing, if the temperature goes silly or oil pressure suddenly vanishes for one reason or another, why dont they shut down to protect themselves?

EDIT: thinking about it, is it a safety thing? the car keeps running to allow you to (in theory) get to a place of safety?

They do, limp mode. I'm guessing you've never owned a Peugeot?

1 minute ago, PhilA said:

They do, limp mode. I'm guessing you've never owned a Peugeot?

hey my car doesn't even have head gaskets, let alone a water-based cooling system!

it does have the front number plate integrated into its design and would look weird without one in place, so I guess its the Anti-thesis of @SiC's comment at least? :) 

2 hours ago, PhilA said:

There is, and a full electric adapter setup to get the computers talking to the GM hardware.

Oh, come on!

You know it makes sense.

It also needs an absolutely filthy lumpy cam, with a hidden but very free flowing exhaust system.

11 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Oh, come on!

You know it makes sense.

It also needs an absolutely filthy lumpy cam, with a hidden but very free flowing exhaust system.

Oh common now this is @PhilA we are talking about, I expect him to rebuild the cooked XJ-V8 and shove it into something GM just to show it who's boss :mrgreen:

32 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Oh common now this is @PhilA we are talking about, I expect him to rebuild the cooked XJ-V8 and shove it into something GM just to show it who's boss :mrgreen:

Probably not. This is the smallest capacity 8 cylinder engine I own.

16 hours ago, PhilA said:

This one arrived in pieces. 

It has suffered severe OMGHGF and then the red lights were ignored and it was driven until it drove no more. 

20240411_184344.jpg.2c120670478e8623ad63a7c6111161d2.jpg

20240411_184409.jpg.3e46e44619570b64b8abbb6af4d7596a.jpg

Not even going to bother with that one. 

Phil

That is broken with a capital F!! Be great to see what you do with it. 

10 hours ago, PhilA said:

Depends on the state, some require a front plate also. Louisiana is not one of those states though thankfully. 

Also, the trunk lid appears to ne a USA-specific pressing...?

don't know about that but the boot lid looks murican or japan sized plate recess 🤣

Battery charger and battery arrived.

20240417_161335.jpg.f07b2472269c4968e77e9a08c87b06ab.jpg

Battery duly inserted in the hole, lubricated the mounting bolts and put the thing on charge because it's spent a lot of time in the box. 

20240417_154637.jpg.c6a6ecf532ddaab606e4d1cb4b69ceb1.jpg

Connected up, the dash provides a litany of faults. It all seems to work though. Climate control screen is half working, but the segments that are broken only show up at a temperature not normally set so that's good. 

20240417_155602.jpg.ed71b4795821430c60f11400f7f1caf8.jpg

Sunroof and windows all work, which is surprising.  Someone's been in there before, it's all nicely greased up.

20240417_162118.jpg.d22dd12be6f2f13768e877fa3c4967ad.jpg

Most of the other electrical things also work. Oddly this car has side repeater indicator lights, rear fog lights and the dash says BOOT OPEN when you pop the trunk. 

Driver's side seat has two movements that don't work, the front of the seat just whirs and doesn't move up or down, and the headrest just goes click. 

Radio also needs investigation.

Overall quite surprising how much of it still works. 

Phil

Very nice Jagwar. Funnily enough just yesterday I watched Tedward of The You Tube driving a lovely black XJR 100. A wonderful thing, but all the plasticky Ford switchgear in the centre console is a bit of an odd contrast with the rest of the interior.

I forget how well these did Stateside. Good luck with the engine. Will be following with interest.