Had my head turned by this

Rocket88

39 minutes ago, Rocket88 said:

Spoke to a classic car dealer well known to this site ( Martin Howey) who says that the feeling in the trade is that they’re going to rocket in value……

I think you are right. The Etype is, and has been for ages up in the stratosphere, the XJS is now getting there. These are so cheap at the moment. 

Definitely will increase in time as they are a V8, fast, comfortable and a classic British design. Even more crucially is rust and mechanical failure has been thinning them out over the years. 

The whole market is definitely softening off though. Especially anything expensive or complex to run. 

Still looking to get an XKR eventually. Right now they are as cheap as they will ever get so of course they will increase in value eventually. That'll be the case for the lowest mileage, cleanest and most desirable versions anyway. Every classic car auction currently has two or three clean XK8/XKR for sale though, none of which indicate that there's much interest in them due to the sheer number of them available. I think supply really is much higher than demand. Especially with so many rotten sub-2 grand examples on FB marketplace.

6 hours ago, Rocket88 said:

Spoke to a classic car dealer well known to this site ( Martin Howey) who says that the feeling in the trade is that they’re going to rocket in value……

I doubt it. Lack of disposable income, running costs, people unable to spanner themselves - they would have rocketed by now as the oldest is now 27 years old.

They may increase in value - but not rocket.

51 minutes ago, Bren said:

I doubt it. Lack of disposable income, running costs, people unable to spanner themselves - they would have rocketed by now as the oldest is now 27 years old.

They may increase in value - but not rocket.

XJS has pretty much doubled in price in last 5 years

1 minute ago, GeordieInExile said:

I reckon I could get that for the C6. 

... Can you get a child seat in the Jaaaaag?

1 minute ago, GeordieInExile said:

I reckon I could get that for the C6. 

... Can you get a child seat in the Jaaaaag?

I reckon so….. just watch rear wheel arch rot….

And the inner sills/floor pans. I think if you buy a really well cared for 4.2l XK8 for 5 grand you should be fine, mechanically there isnt much to go wrong on them aside from all the typical old car stuff. All the fcked 4.0l engines should have gotten replaced 20 years ago (Nikasil bore liners) by now as well. But the rot, they arent any better than the XJ, which all die because of rust. Jaguar doesn't know how to rust-proof a car until they switched to aluminium on the X350 and 2nd gen XK, and even those corrode more than anthing comparable (XJ anyway)...