Just came off in me ‘and Guv - Ohdearme’s turn of the century emporium

Ohdearme

2 hours ago, Ohdearme said:

Fucksticks.

Repeated attempts to disengage the bonnet have succeeded in freeing off the cable.

Sadly it has done so at the lever end so I now have a loose release cable mechanism flopping about the cabin like a geriatric’s limp todger.

Long weekend ahead at least to figure it out…

I feel your pain. I've had this happen on both my W210's, and had to go in from underneath to get back into the engine bay. My Disco 3 is threatening to break in the same way soon too.

On both the mercs it was a stretched cable that was causing grief and cost about £30 to replace. Sounds a lot for a cable but well worth it for the knowledge that the bonnet will stay closed when you shut it and then also open again later.

I can't help but wonder if a new cable would sort yours out once you get back into it again.

Frustratingly I’ve got one side that won’t latch down and one side that won’t free up so between them they’re feckering my odds off passing an mot.

Battery is also goosed so once I’ve got the front open I’ll throw some more money at it.

Annoyingly, I was going to slip a cable tie round each part of the cable so I could tug them locally from the front and pop it.

i think there’s some stretch and wear in the cable but not sure if the cable is a stante audi 80 or if it’s a special convertible-cost-a-fortune-technic part.

7 hours ago, Ohdearme said:

special convertible-cost-a-fortune-technic part

Knowing this car, more than likely.

I found the only way to reliably get parts is from Donald Munn via Messenger. I had to get a brake bias valve from him last year on behalf of Fairkens so it could pass its MOT. There was 0% chance of one being found elsewhere.

Remember this car is based on an 80s design 80 B4, modified into a convertible but excluded from the B5 facelift, instead getting a unique but B5-looking front end and in 1998 was updated again to take a modern 5v engine. That's why I bought all the suspension and steering bits as they're unique to the 1.8 5v model which was made for only 2 years or so, and in quite small numbers.

You have to love them!

Sorry man I can't help about the bonnet. It was up and down a lot while I tried to figure out the problem that turned out to be the starter motor and I never had an issue with it. 

Related - I replaced the battery as part of my troubleshooting so its a bit shit that it's discharged to that extent even if it has been sitting. The old battery is doing good work powering my electric fence.