The "WTF is that?" thread

bunglebus

7 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

There are professional picture researchers, and also a lot of people into vintage photography who could make informed comments on the photo, and maybe even suggest a photographer who used that style.  Get some of those people interested, and you might get some results. 

I love looking at old photos and trying to figure out when and where they were taken.

When were the cars launched, when did that business get bought over, when did that building get demolished, what’s the time on the town hall clock, is that a steam train, how tall are the trees?

I never realised that people do that for a living.

8 minutes ago, Tayne said:

Picture research is mostly about finding suitable images to illustrate books or magazine articles, as the writer may not do that themselves.  But it seems to me that they would be the sort of people who would know where to look for old photos of Oxford Street.

IIRC the blue car photo can be dated quite accurately by the buses.  The photographer wouldn't just have taken one shot, because they never do - so where are all the others, and what else do they show?

35 minutes ago, Tayne said:

I love looking at old photos and trying to figure out when and where they were taken.

Wouldn't get me doing that..... :-)

No idea what the car is but I reckon it's coming out of Vere Street, W1 going left to be eastbound on Oxford Street itself. If it went straight on that'd be New Bond Street. (Vere St/New Bond Street cut across at a slight angle).
Building with the canopy on left is Marshall & Snelgrove Department Store, turned into Debenhams and, like everything else around there, has been demolished and rebuilt at least once since the 1960s (money, money, money)

Other than that may be the true answer lies in here....
AR66_500x713.jpg?v=1633271484

21 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

No idea what the car is but I reckon it's coming out of Vere Street, W1 going left to be eastbound on Oxford Street itself. If it went straight on that'd be New Bond Street. (Vere St/New Bond Street cut across at a slight angle).

If you have a few minutes to spare, the whole story (such as it is) is on Pistonheads: "Another mystery car."

I'm 99% certain it says in the book exactly where the photo was obtained from, a transport museum but I don't recall which one. 

I was tempted to buy the book when I saw it at a boot sale but it was a bit expensive just for one picture that's all over the interweb anyway

On 12/02/2024 at 16:24, lesapandre said:

Interestingly the car we are looking at appears to have a bench seat? Lifted out of something. That would reinforce the economy car idea - 3 seater idea.

Screenshot_2024-02-12-17-54-01-046_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.bc867e978391d44a31b9761bf8eb0031.jpg

Other things to note:

It's skillfully done - the doors have internal door hinges and recessed door handles - crude kit cars often had easy to fit external hinges - and internal door latches only. Except the bonnet which has been very crudely modified - which might mean there has been an engine swap for something taller.

I wonder if it is a development mule of some kind or a factory apprentice piece?

I find stuff like this fascinating .

On 11/02/2024 at 17:14, barrett said:

It's obviously not an 'off the peg' job and I do not think it's a special at all, but some sort of prototype.

Not sure about this.  It seems to be metal construction and all welded in one piece.  That is a coachbuilder's method.  If it was prototype for series production surely it would have separate panels with visible joint lines.   Also I think if it was a professional design it would be better styled.  I think it's more likely to be a one-off, where some wealthy amateur has taken a chassis and a few sketches to his local coachbuilder and they have done their best with it.  Like this one:

motoring-graphics-_1328205a.jpg.97619cddd5383f0139da14d5e3a9c15a.jpg

19 hours ago, Tayne said:

When were the cars launched, when did that business get bought over, when did that building get demolished, what’s the time on the town hall clock, is that a steam train, how tall are the trees?

Please tell me I'm not the only one who on seeing an old photo instinctively looks for cars to date it. Even better if there's a numberplate visible as that can give you an earliest possible date, which is often later than other people who aren't into cars thnk.

1 hour ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

It's a MAN but not sure which model but think it's an SX45.

Correct, MAN SX45 8x8 or "Support Vehicle - Recovery (Improved Medium Mobility)" in military parlance. The standard MoD wrecker that replaced the 6x6 Fodens, with 288 delivered but some now demobbed. Big impressive beasts to see on the road and I'd love to see one in civvy colours like Crouch's bright orange or Egertons' yellow.

• 1 month later...

I saw this nice picture in a junk shop in Hastings and wondered what the car is, looks to be rear/mid engined and rear lights look to be VW so i imagine it's a VW or Porsche.

I think it must be the Targa Florio in the mid 60s and Google finds several cars in the same place, but not this one.

IMG_9166.JPG.2cdee79412bfad565c4b321ee353c989.JPG

250 GTO in same place 1966

1966-05-08_Targa_Florio_Collesano_250_GT

27 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

Nice photo, wonder if the signature is the driver or the photographer.
Sure I've seen that car before, might be a Porsche but looks a bit dumpy. Definitely looks rear engined, I was thinking Fiat/Abarth/Simca maybe but can't find anything.

I also wondered about the signature and tried googling variations of what I thought it could say together with Targa Florio, but came up with nothing so far

image.png.2bb3566e8366368f501674b6b009fc99.png

1 hour ago, FakeConcern said:

I saw this nice picture in a junk shop in Hastings and wondered what the car is, looks to be rear/mid engined and rear lights look to be VW so i imagine it's a VW or Porsche.

I think it must be the Targa Florio in the mid 60s and Google finds several cars in the same place, but not this one.

IMG_9166.JPG.2cdee79412bfad565c4b321ee353c989.JPG

250 GTO in same place 1966

1966-05-08_Targa_Florio_Collesano_250_GT

I think its a 1960 Fiat Abarth 1000 Zagato, the rear lights are Fiat 600 rather than VW, and the wheels also Fiat-ish?  The signature is surely the photographer Maurice Rowe. 

9 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Thanks for that I thought I tried that name, maybe I didn't!

9 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

I think its a 1960 Fiat Abarth 1000 Zagato, the rear lights are Fiat 600 rather than VW and the wheels also Fiat-ish?

It does look a lot like it...

abarth%201960%20lemans_49.jpg

image.png.666efab2081f63707bafbe2ae47e7adb.png

Not sure about the window shapes though

• 2 weeks later...