Tyres, round and black.

Barry Cade

good tyres

different things to different people.

Superb grip in the dry means a soft compound that will wear quicker so not good for high mileage people.

Superb grip in the wet means they have done a lot of research so expect to pay for it.

Superb wear means a harder compound so not such good grip

Not sure where tyre noise (db) appears in these equations.

Its all a compromise. Just fit and hope.

Right, wobbler over, and back to normal operation. Lassa tyres ARE made by Bridgestone, but I hate Bridgestone tyres as they seem to be made of a hard plastic,crack at less than 3 years old and are fecking pricey, also had real trouble with their BT21 bike tyres cupping and causing really odd handling. Goodyears are very quiet, but have really soft sidewalls and wear fairly quickly. I HATE Avon tyres- seen tread seperation,sidewalls splitting and very odd wear patterns. I really dislike directional tyres, as it's a pain if you need to swap them around. Continentals are good, but also crack within 3 years. Pirelli's also- all 4 on the Volvo were cracking badly, had done 18k and 2.5 years. All 4 needed replaced even though they were 3mm front and 5 mm rear.

BCT tyres impressed me.. I kinda rated a tyre on how it felt when fitting,the give in the walls and how easy they were to balance. Blindfolded,BCT's were like Conti's but 40% of the price. Tigars were also good. I used to really rate Ceat- Kwik Fit's old budget tyre and made by Pirelli. P600's were really crap, had, but wore quickly. Michelins are/were always good, but they'd dry out and perish before they were done..still saw some old Citroens come in for test with MXV's on the back, and were turning grey.

Autogrip- shite...made for taxiists. Bring back Colway!

On my Z3 it came fitted with a set of new budgets called Landsail and I've got to admit these tyres really do inspire confidence and are good in the wet..

My other BMW which has the same suspension set up is fitted with a set of Pirelli P6000s and these are terrible in wet conditions and when it needs a new set it won't be getting anymore..

I've got to admit though if it was my money I would be going on tyreleader and buying a decent set of uniroyal rain-sports and they can be had at quite reasonable prices if you shop around.

We fitted a set to a friends R53 mini and it's now glued to the road so that's what I'm buying in the future.

Had a pair of Ceats on my old Corolla, and thought they were excellent. They appeared to be an older Pirelli design made in India I think. Probably appropriate for a then 15 year old car to be rolling on a 15 year old design.

Echo the Bridgestone comment. I had some on my R50 Bini (£110 each as I recall!!!) and when I looked up its MOT history to see what problems it had since I flogged it, I noticed an advisory for perished tyre sidewalls. Assuming the original wheels and tyres were still on it, that would have made them three years old. Interestingly I rarely see a Bini on cheap tyres, the owners always seem to have something half decent on them.

Falkens are very good tyres. Most mid rangers are good (Uniroyal, Hankook, Kumho, etc) and I would be very happy on them. Indeed Mrs P rolls her Fiat 500 on a set of Falken Ecorun Sinceras which are quieter, gripper, and lasting better than the original Conti's so far.

• 2 years later...

Putting in a couple of pennies worth (at the risk of opening up an old thread).

Avons - I personally can't fault the ones I have on my Saab, they transformed the front end when they were fitted last October. Have very good wet grip, not too much road noise. They also livened up the handling of that shitty focus I had at the beginning of the year.

Nankang - only had these once as they were the only ones I could find at the time in 185 HR 14 size for my first Scimitar as it was wearing 205/70 14s which were too wide and put excessive strain on the trunnions. They were awful - had less grip than a well-oiled teflon coated frying pan cooking eggs, road noise was horrendous, they didn't seem to wear and were lethal in the wet. I soon switched them over to a set of Marshals

Marshal - not a bad tyre for the price, bit noisy but quite grippy, especially important on a tail-happy plastic pig. Quite noisy is the only real drawback.

Hankook - run a few cars on these when they were at the budget end of tyres. Always thought they were good but I notice their prices are up there with the big boys.

Centara - some shitty budget make Mrs D fitted to the corolla and also a set on my Saab last year. No grip. Wear quickly, go out of shape fast, really noisy.

With Miss D taking her test soon and taking ownership of the Corolla if/when she passes, I'm hoping I can persuade her to fit some decent boots to it, especially as she wants to make the car her practice vehicle for her college work.

I have found that some cars run really well on on brand but are awful on others. I don't mind budget tyres if they are decent in terms of weather performance and grip.

Got Hankooks on the merc and they seem fine.

Had uniroyals, avon, toyo, yokohama, Bridgestone without issue.

Old man rates firestone, he's had them on a few cars and he only bought Michelin before....

Bought an espace shod with sunny tyres. Proper shit. Thought the suspension was fucked somewhere as it struggled to stay in a straight line. Really was horrible, changed the tyres and all was well.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Pirelli P1 Cinturatos on my Golf.  No complaints.  Got four fitted last year, fronts and backs a month apart and I've done a lot of miles on them.  They're good all-rounders and quiet.  Not quite as good on fuel as the Continentals that were on there when I got the car but there wasn't any tread left on them at all by the time they were replaced so it's not a fair comparison.

Good tyres.  Would buy again if the price was right.  Otherwise would consider alternatives but have no reason to change. 

I had new Uniroyal rain experts on my zx and they were fu King ace for the price! Had to slow myself down on very wet days as it drove as if the road was dry.

Wore fucking quick though, even on a light zx. Had the fronts half worn in about 7k and that was just commuting, no wheelspins etc (because it wouldn't!)

Has 2 Avon zv7's on the front of the xantia which were ace for the brief time I had it before selling. Will beeline for those if I put tyres on the gooner if their still cheap (£45 fitted per corner by a man in a van)

Has 2 Avon zv7's on the front of the xantia which were ace for the brief time I had it before selling. Will beeline for those if I put tyres on the gooner if their still cheap (£45 fitted per corner by a man in a van)

The Saab has ZV7's on the front - good tyre for the money. Same ones I fitted to that shitheap Focus. Saab's ones were £56 a corner at Formula 1, same place £38 on the Focus. They transformed both cars

Avons - I personally can't fault the ones I have on my Saab, they transformed the front end when they were fitted last October. Have very good wet grip, not too much road noise. They also livened up the handling of that shitty focus I had at the beginning of the year.

I threw a set of ZV5s at the Merc 300E I had from the Wobbler.  Worked a treat, especially at fifty sheets a corner on a deal.

I’ve got Goodyear efficient grip performance on my merc. £66 each fitted with tyresonthedrive.co.uk

195 65 91v.

Pirelli on the fiat as it’s italian!

I swear by Goodyear Efficient Grips. I put 4 on the Rover 25gti that was roffled and theres 4 on the Passat currently. I dont really hoon but theyre decent enough for grip in all conditions, theyre quiet and wear well.

Cheap enough for a big name brand too.

I swear by Goodyear Efficient Grips. I put 4 on the Rover 25gti that was roffled and theres 4 on the Passat currently. I dont really hoon but theyre decent enough for grip in all conditions, theyre quiet and wear well.

Cheap enough for a big name brand too.

Exactly. Good grip, quiet and wear ok, good brand and not expensive. Unlike continental which I bought first ( as German for the Mercedes ) and wore very quickly.

My colleague has just been to Kwik fit for two tyres on his new(ish) focus. First option in stock which I think he said were Michelin all weather were £170 each! He declined and ordered some others that were still £110 each.

The Blingo (185/65x15) has older Barums at the back with newish CrossClimates at the sharp end; the Michelins are infinitely better than the very disappointing Dunlops they replaced.

The 205 (165/60x14) had a full set of Barums until one picked up a nail and was replaced with a Landsail.  Still handles like a go-kart.

The Dyane runs Michelin XZX 135/15s that cost more per unit than any of the others!  I really must use them some time...