Give me some ideas for a daily driver

egg

Well, Autoshite talked me out of going to look at an expensive Volvo 740 (quite rightly on reflection), but I can't stand my hateful Ford Fusion that much longer.

So, give me some ideas for a shite replacement that isn't a 80,000 mile 8 year old Ford Focus.

must haves:

- low reving motorway cruiser (but doesn't have to be fast at all - I do town and motorway - no dashing around a and b roads)

- reliable enough to cover 8,000 miles a year 

- working air conditioning

- reasonable servicing costs because most things beyond changing a filter seem beyond me!

- autoshite credibility (you'd put it in a spotted thread)

- something that feels safe enough to transport my 5 year old in (i.e. reasonable space in the back)

Don't like Rover 75s. Not a Lagoona! Prefer under £1k, but would go to £2k for a keeper.

Talk to me...

Ford sierra. Twin cam ideally. I've had a few, really torquey engine and surprisingly frugal for what they are ( mid thirties mpg for the ones i had.)

You'll be looking the higher end of the budget though for a decent car.

Alternative, for me at least, would be a mk3 cavalier. Bomb proof in nye on everyway.

Ford sierra. Twin cam ideally. I've had a few, really torquey engine and surprisingly frugal for what they are ( mid thirties mpg for the ones i had.)

You'll be looking the higher end of the budget though for a decent car.

Alternative, for me at least, would be a mk3 cavalier. Bomb proof in nye on everyway.

I had a 1991 Sierra Saph Ghia 2.0i which I sold in 2006 to a bloke who came over to Kent from Northern Ireland for it for £500 (mistake). Agree, it should be on the short list, but I think a lot are over priced.

Cav's might be cheaper? Wouldn't mind a high spec one.

I know I keep punting mine on various ebay posts, but seriously, a Saab would be a good choice.  Ask Doobietoo before he starts breaking his!

Or a Volvo 740...

Not many 740's have air con - would need to be a 760? (And they don't seem cheap)

Any particular engine/trim config?

Not a 9-3 !

For economy go for the 2.2 diesel . Estates are great load luggers .

Other wise the 2.3 turbos are the ones to go for . Aero is always nice with 240 hp but the 2.3T is 200 ish and had better ride etc .

Make sure it's had a sump drop and latest pcv system fitted and your good to go .

There's a nice Fiat Coupe on RR

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/185314/1997-fiat-coupe-20v-glasgow

probably not what you want really but I like it!

Or I have a nice mk2 focus if you really want......but it has 98000 miles on it, is 9 years old and the ac needs a regas :)

Generally love classic fiats, but need more space in the back for my kid (and trips up the tip!)

I had a 1991 Sierra Saph Ghia 2.0i which I sold in 2006 to a bloke who came over to Kent from Northern Ireland for it for £500 (mistake). Agree, it should be on the short list, but I think a lot are over priced.

Cav's might be cheaper? Wouldn't mind a high spec one.

I agree they can be overpriced, i would say though if you want another, get it before the omgoldfordtax takes hold because unfortunately it will and then they will go out of reach, i am glad I bought my saph twincam that I use daily when I did just over 3 years ago because prices shot up shortly after.

Cavaliers are a good steer and don't appear to command scene tax

All that talk about suspension spheres worries me...

Grammar corrected. ;) Seriously, spheres are no more trouble than an oil filter (they just occasionally seize in place). Far easier to change than coil springs and dampers. I'd not seriously suggest one though because FRENCH ELECTRICS.

No, I'd recommend a Volvo 850TDI instead.

volvo 850?

ford mongdio?

ford fiesta? the one after the smiley mark 4 (mark 5 or 6?) they are getting cheaper now.

£2k buys just about anything, just depending on what you fancy or can see your self driving.

Don't really fancy another Ford (Sierra excepted). 850 is a maybe though.

Had a 1990 Cavalier 2.0GL in ...er 1990 (company car).

It was low reving on the superslab (about 2k at 70) and an all round decent steer.

They had good secondary safety for the time.

Tricky to find one with aircon I suspect, and no-one's going to put one in spotted.

Had a 1991 Saab 9000 in 2002 - it was fabulous in every way.  And it had aircon.