Give me some ideas for a daily driver

egg

I'm lining myself up for a proper pasting here... But I've got a mk3 G##f Gti and its great. 37 mpg at 70ish on a motorway, cheap easily available parts and because they're relatively unloved they're cheap...

Hit me with it, I'm ready!

I'd like to agree with you. But I can't!

how about one of them big kia things, i it the magentis/magenta? something like that..

OR

one of the big hyundia things, one of their big saloons, which i cannot remember the name of right now....

(elantra or sonata maybe?)

Considered those but most post 2001 so have £290 or even £490(?) VED which puts me off a little.

406 coupe. There was a 2.2 HDI on ebay just before Christmas for £695. Decent amount of room in the back and a fine looking car.

On a similar, but smaller, note. Astra Bertone Coupe. I had one last summer. 1.8 so not mega fast, but was getting 40 mpg on a 25 mile commute. Kids never complained too much about rear legroom either, and it had a massive boot.

As you can tell, I like coupes.

Well, Autoshite talked me out of going to look at an expensive Volvo 740 (quite rightly on reflection), but I can't stand my hateful Ford Fusion that much longer.

So, give me some ideas for a shite replacement that isn't a 80,000 mile 8 year old Ford Focus.

must haves:

- low reving motorway cruiser (but doesn't have to be fast at all - I do town and motorway - no dashing around a and b roads)

- reliable enough to cover 8,000 miles a year 

- working air conditioning

- reasonable servicing costs because most things beyond changing a filter seem beyond me!

- autoshite credibility (you'd put it in a spotted thread)

- something that feels safe enough to transport my 5 year old in (i.e. reasonable space in the back)

Don't like Rover 75s. Not a Lagoona! Prefer under £1k, but would go to £2k for a keeper.

Talk to me...

Primera

Doesn't seem to be much interesting stuff around for a grand these days.....If I was in this situation (which I sort of am, really, its only an abrupt FTP in the 190E that will have Mrs R. with hands on hips demanding another car - I can guarantee I wont have more than a bag of sand to replace it with) I would reluctantly be looking for a decent Pug 406.  

Probably not the answer you (or I) want to hear but for something that isn't modern enough to be shit (or shit enough to be modern) there does seem to be a fair few about for under target price.  Having driven a few I know I could live with one.   Failing that I would possibly consider an Omega on the strength of RWD....

It's not a fusion but any thoughts on the c-max? Mines a 2.0 turbot diseasel. All the toys:cruise/air/leather/shit nav/heated seats- even DVDs screen in the back. Six speed box means 50 mpg at 65. On an 04 plate and cost me less than a grand (just!).

probably a sensible solution!