SAFRANE Kolectshun (was) LIVE. Now owners thread.

andyberg

2 hours ago, andyberg said:

Arrived home. What a supremely cosseted waft. Yes the seats are as comfortable as they look! Not packed with horsepower but for a relaxing way to get about it's going to take something  special to beat it for a car in every day use.

IMG_20240313_164755.jpg

IMG_20240313_164802.jpg

I remember my pre-fl one to ride incredibly well. Not sure if I'd still think the same today but it was one of the best riding cars I owned, and I might have had my W140 back then already.

• andyberg changed the title to Kolectshun (was) LIVE. Now possible owners thread.
14 hours ago, Soundwave said:

Nice! Is that the ex-Petrolblog one?  I know he had a black Safrane at one point.

Sorry missed your post. As you may have gathered by now, yes this is the Petrolblog Safrane. A bloody nice chap he is too. 

She rests at her new home. A quick wash on the outside. Inside the radio is tuned to the stations I listen to. I had a good check of what buttons do what. There is some sticky plastic, as mentioned in a previous Petrolblog video, I have tried isopropyl alcohol and it's better but still not perfect. I will look into other options. Service history is mad! Everything has been covered. 23 services in the book upto 127000 miles. I am missing the drivers handbook so will be looking for one of those. 4 almost new Falken tyres. A few foibles to be expected from a 25 year old Renault, but otherwise a bloody brilliant car. I feel very lucky to have been given the opportunity to own her.

IMG_20240313_175433.jpg

1 hour ago, andyberg said:

She rests at her new home. A quick wash on the outside. Inside the radio is tuned to the stations I listen to. I had a good check of what buttons do what. There is some sticky plastic, as mentioned in a previous Petrolblog video, I have tried isopropyl alcohol and it's better but still not perfect. I will look into other options. Service history is mad! Everything has been covered. 23 services in the book upto 127000 miles. I am missing the drivers handbook so will be looking for one of those. 4 almost new Falken tyres. A few foibles to be expected from a 25 year old Renault, but otherwise a bloody brilliant car. I feel very lucky to have been given the opportunity to own her.

IMG_20240313_175433.jpg

You lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky bastard :)

Top motor. 

• 2 weeks later...

The superb ex Petrolblog Safrane has gone in for her MOT, she's only done 1500 miles since the last one and has been in a dry garage over the winter so fingers crossed she's going to be ok. I have taken the precaution of lanoguarding the heck out of her prior to the MOT, if nothing else the garage will smell like a farm for the day!

After a chat with the garage it appears that the only welding required is a patch to the rear seatbelt mount. The front shock mount is the cup the spring sits in and a new one comes with a new spring. So for an old bus she's doing well I think. Booked in for the work and retest next Thursday/Friday.

Further to the previous post. Looking at the extensive history of the car the shocks are original. Not bad going, 27 years and 137000 miles with no signs of leaking or losing damping. I just hope the replacement shock (KYB I think) is as good. Our local friendly parrot is doing the welding!! @Cookiesouwest😉😉

• andyberg changed the title to SAFRANE Kolectshun (was) LIVE. Now owners thread.
49 minutes ago, brownnova said:

How did I miss this when it was purchased! What a car! Love it!

Please put me on the list of interest parties when the time comes to sell! 

Will do, but be prepared for a long wait. It's such a lovely car to drive.

• 3 weeks later...

Lovely motor! Such a rare sight now. 

I drove a Safrane several years ago and it's one of the most comfortable cars I've been in.

I seem to recall that one had a 5-cylinder engine, but that could be my brain getting muddled! 

1 minute ago, MrGTI6 said:

Lovely motor! Such a rare sight now. 

I drove a Safrane several years ago and it's one of the most comfortable cars I've been in.

I seem to recall that one had a 5-cylinder engine, but that could be my brain getting muddled! 

You are correct sir. There was indeed a 5 cylinder motor, it was the Volvo 5 cylinder engine. 

She is indeed very comfortable, a very good mile muncher. Even if the pace is a little sedate.

6 minutes ago, MrGTI6 said:

Ah, that would make sense!

There was a lot of Renault/Volvo crossover going on in the 1990s.

You learn something new every day! 

I changed the plugs on mine last weekend and the engine casing has a Volvo stamp on it. The guy I got this one off, Petrolblog, has the 5 cylinder version. Same spec as mine, executive, but these were the days when if you chose a bigger, better engine you got more upgrades on the spec. So he has puddle lights, better stereo, electric rear windows and the famous voice synthesized computer.

8 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Quite fancy a Safrane, liking the look of this one..

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2129469074089716/

Sadly no budget at the mo, so if someone wouldn't mind buying it and bringing it into the fold. 😉

This one has been for sale for a while, it does need to be bought. Strong money though, a bit* more than I paid for mine.

6 hours ago, andyberg said:

Took the Safrane to its first local car show. Ok turn out. But why is there always a few knobs in newish BMW 's that think their cars deserve to be in a car show? Entering the area with their heavy bass booming out of the car and massive (ly stupid) spoilers.

IMG_20240421_103335.jpg

IMG_20240421_103321.jpg

Where was that?

I passed by Atwell Wilson and found out that it was a drive-it day. Pretty busy (maybe everyone went there instead?)