Warren Works... An MG6. In for test. It fails. NOW PISTONHEADS APPROVED CAR!

warren t claim

12 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

mg5.png.b74a0c74b542c76a10ea8424bbe79ac6.png

Yes I know we've been together for less than a week, and I do understand not to rush things in any new car relationship, but I do think that it's healthy for a man and car to be open with each other regarding needs and desires in the bedroom/garage. 

I totally understand that you all think that I'm rushing into things by taking her to a sex shop after only a few days but I want our relationship to be secure enough for there to be no shame in us sharing our deepest fantasies with one another. 

just curious if you dont mind me asking,  is there a reason all your pictures are sized to fit on a mid 2000's blackberry by way of 3.5 inch floppy disk?

I know the forum is a bit extreme with its image shrinkage, but its not that bad! :) 

Just now, LightBulbFun said:

just curious if you dont mind me asking,  is there a reason all your pictures are sized to fit on a mid 2000's blackberry by way of 3.5 inch floppy disk?

Not all of them are. My phone is low on memory so I've had to snip the pics from a WhatsApp Web thread. 

I shall hang my head in shame and fuck off in disgrace after my next beer!

Let's get this thread back on track.

What quirks and faults have I noticed?

The HVAC fan increases speed when reverse gear is selected.

The undertray has become loose after driving through standing water. This may be down to a poor crash repair in the past.

Occasionally it'll flash up an error message regarding the traction control and hill start assist, although strangely enough not the ABS.

In the last couple of hours it's started to sound the seat belt chime even when the belts are clicked in.

TPMS light on.

Steering wheel wobble at certain speeds that I think might be a slightly buckled alloy. Only minor. I don't feel like Michael J Fox driving a Hillman Avenger.

Reversing camera seems to be suffering from cataracts.

Motor occasionally hunts between 800-1100 rpm.

I never thought that I'd ever have a use case for having a car with a chilled centre console but as I'm suffering from the 100 Day Cough, keeping my cough linctus chilled has helped!

38 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

Not all of them are. My phone is low on memory so I've had to snip the pics from a WhatsApp Web thread. 

I shall hang my head in shame and fuck off in disgrace after my next beer!

ahhh in that case if you open the image, then right click the image, or if your on a phone long press it, (as in tap and hold for a second or so) it should bring up a little menu giving you the option to copy the picture to your clipboard

image.thumb.png.6c8944ff8f4b5eb60e519b80382a40e3.png

IMG_0897.thumb.png.617c02204faebe5472610f6a7a96d83f.png

this will copy the full size image to a temporary space to so speak, you can then go to a post your writing on the forum and past it in, much in the same way right click/long press and click paste :)

doing it this way means you dont have to worry about having space to save the image to your phone directly, while still letting you share a decently sized image :) 

11 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

ahhh in that case if you open the image, then right click the image, or if your on a phone long press it, (as in tap and hold for a second or so) it should bring up a little menu giving you the option to copy the picture to your clipboard

image.thumb.png.6c8944ff8f4b5eb60e519b80382a40e3.png

IMG_0897.thumb.png.617c02204faebe5472610f6a7a96d83f.png

this will copy the full size image to a temporary space to so speak, you can then go to a post your writing on the forum and past it in, much in the same way right click/long press and click paste :)

doing it this way means you dont have to worry about having space to save the image to your phone directly, while still letting you share a decently sized image :) 

But I'm not on my phone!

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

I know the forum is a bit extreme with its image shrinkage, but its not that bad! :) 

Gone on my phone to retrieve a picture of an MG6 in front of a sex shop just for you. xIMG-20240104-WA0001.thumb.jpg.8e2b700d4b0068a197356291ba9b9fc2.jpg

1 hour ago, warren t claim said:

Let's get this thread back on track.

What quirks and faults have I noticed?

The undertray has become loose after driving through standing water. This may be down to a poor crash repair in the past.

Occasionally it'll flash up an error message regarding the traction control and hill start assist, although strangely enough not the ABS.

In the last couple of hours it's started to sound the seat belt chime even when the belts are clicked in.

TPMS light on.

Steering wheel wobble at certain speeds that I think might be a slightly buckled alloy. Only minor. I don't feel like Michael J Fox driving a Hillman Avenger.

Reversing camera seems to be suffering from cataracts.

Motor occasionally hunts between 800-1100 rpm.

I never thought that I'd ever have a use case for having a car with a chilled centre console but as I'm suffering from the 100 Day Cough, keeping my cough linctus chilled has helped!

You should think yourself lucky that's all it's got wrong with it 😂

Does the scan tool at claim_motorz talk to it? They'll have cable ties to fix the undertray at least

That's good then, your keeping busy and it's not properly shit itself yet! 

What's the milage on it? Missed that in your op and I cba to scroll back now.... And what's the milage you'd like to get it to before it's recycled into another mg? 

3 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

That's good then, your keeping busy and it's not properly shit itself yet! 

What's the milage on it? Missed that in your op and I cba to scroll back now.... And what's the milage you'd like to get it to before it's recycled into another mg? 

116000 on the clock.

I've covered 850 miles in it since 7pm on the 2nd of January!

1 hour ago, warren t claim said:

That's a normal feature on many cars. It's actually because the ECM changes the air intake from external to internal recirculation allegedly so the car doesn't drag exhaust fumes into it whist reversing.

EDIT -beaten to it.

6 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

All being well, this MG will have to survive 5000 hard and demanding miles in less than 4 weeks.

Out of interest, what is demanding about the driving - is it the start-stop of city traffic, or do you drive it like you stole it? Or both? 

I reckon it's going to improve with use. 

Probably not worth bothering with the buckled alloy yet either if the worse of the shit weather is still to come when it all freezes. You're bound to smack something anyway, may as well just hope it's that wheel. Smash it out a bit rounder and fit it to the front pass side so it takes the brunt of the beating? 

I used to do 850 miles in about 3 weeks when I was in the office. Now I go in 2 days a week and only drive one of those as I lift share with a mate I doubt I've done 850 miles since the mot in late August 😂

Just now, beko1987 said:

Probably not worth bothering with the buckled alloy yet either if the worse of the shit weather is still to come when it all freezes. You're bound to smack something anyway, may as well just hope it's that wheel. Smash it out a bit rounder and fit it to the front pass side so it takes the brunt of the beating? 

I used to do 850 miles in about 3 weeks when I was in the office. Now I go in 2 days a week and only drive one of those as I lift share with a mate I doubt I've done 850 miles since the mot in late August 😂

When I got the puncture last night I had to phone the lad I'm renting it from to bring me a wheel brace as the one in the boot was for 17mm nuts, much bigger than those fitted to the MG. He owns three of them and told me that the 190000 white MG6 I mentioned earlier is the nicest driving one of the lot. That particular MG6 has been a taxi from the day it was first registered. He did tell me that although they're great cars, getting spares is somewhat challenging to say the least. 

Yes I guess you need to avoid body damage, that'll be where your fucking around for weeks waiting for a simple panel... Getting friendly with local breakers for when they get them in and stashing a bumper or wing away might not be a bad investment 

When me and my dad were passing an afternoon in a pub on shepherds bush green earlier in the year right by the main road waiting for a concert there were a crap load of mg taxi's going by, the smoll estate and probably these although their so bland their hard to spot (not a bad thing) and I probably didn't note them. Can't be that bad/cheap enough not to worry much about, especially if their up at 200k already for the cost/rental money he gets. Same when we passed another afternoon with a tube ride to nowhere and lunch in some random pub, mg after mg after mg

7 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Yes I guess you need to avoid body damage, that'll be where your fucking around for weeks waiting for a simple panel... Getting friendly with local breakers for when they get them in and stashing a bumper or wing away might not be a bad investment 

When me and my dad were passing an afternoon in a pub on shepherds bush green earlier in the year right by the main road waiting for a concert there were a crap load of mg taxi's going by, the smoll estate and probably these although their so bland their hard to spot (not a bad thing) and I probably didn't note them. Can't be that bad/cheap enough not to worry much about, especially if their up at 200k already for the cost/rental money he gets. Same when we passed another afternoon with a tube ride to nowhere and lunch in some random pub, mg after mg after mg

I must admit that until recently I thought the MG5s were a punk band that had a hit with Kick Out The Jams Mutherfuckers!

All the cabs round here (high Wycombe) are becoming ioniq's more and more, all 3/4 years old and driven slowly as fuck presumably because rolling along at 45/50 is the efficiency sweet spot. 

Dad's is always happier at 85/90 on a run than central London crawling. I used the paddles last time to make it change up sooner when I knew we just needed 3rd not 2nd for the next 800m to the next lights, as it sits with the engine fired up as it thinks we're off

Someone probably recently ram raided the shop opposite [/scouse sterotype]

More to the topic - there's a grey MG6 lived at a bungalow round the corner from me for quite some time, although last time I saw it it looked like it had some crash damage.  Will go and see if it's still there.