Rover RDX60

They_all_do_that_sir

Having a good skim through AROnline earlier, and I read the following piece on the RDX60 project:

https://www.aronline.co.uk/concepts/concepts-and-prototypes/mg-rover-rdx60/

I had some awareness of it before, but looking at these pictures, it's uncannily close to being a Vauxhall Signum?

Check out those door cards, and interior door handles as well, lots of very vauxhall touches. Maybe it's just me?

61155c0566c40ec8b450d51c8ac1a4ee.jpg960f67c09f445f39616810df434149f1.jpg

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Having a good skim through AROnline earlier, and I read the following piece on the RDX60 project:https://www.aronline.co.uk/concepts/concepts-and-prototypes/mg-rover-rdx60/

I had some awareness of it before, but looking at these pictures, it's uncannily close to being a Vauxhall Signum?

Check out those door cards, and interior door handles as well, lots of very vauxhall touches. Maybe it's just me?61155c0566c40ec8b450d51c8ac1a4ee.jpg960f67c09f445f39616810df434149f1.jpg

Interior is very different...

post-4721-0-67209200-1547056967_thumb.jpeg

post-4721-0-09478700-1547056982_thumb.jpeg

Side profile similar though:

post-4721-0-75251800-1547057127_thumb.jpeg

post-4721-0-76498900-1547057143_thumb.jpeg

I reckon Rover ripped off the headlights, and then made the rest vaguely similar.

Could* have worked though.

Fair point, interior nothing like.....

Exterior could be just the angle of the photo. I wonder where that car is now?

Could it be argued that Rover were inevitably doomed, if their management could see a Vauxhall Signum and their first thought was "Fuck me lads, we need to get one of those bad boys in our line-up..."

Though in fairness, I suppose the Signum was an effort to market an executive-type car that didn't look like it would appeal mostly to retirees - and despite the best efforts of the MG range, Rover could have done with a genuine aspirational car that didn't just look like your grandad's car after he'd won a Ripspeed trolley-dash...

Ah, what might have been.

Fascinating article. It has struck me how similar in look the front 3/4's of the Rover 75 is to the 2004 BMW 1 Series - and BMW have subsequently done very well with that. BMW/Rover pulled the retro thing off with MINI but as James May pointed out in a contemporary review taking Rover down the pipe and slippers route (however attractive) was ultimately going to limit its appeal. This is the company after all that ran a gas turbine powered car at Le Mans, gave us the ultracool interior of the original Rover 2000 and the design language of the Range Rover still in use today.

So a snipped down and simpler hatch 75 might have been the way forward. We will never know.

That double-bubble dashboard binnacle is ripped off something else but I can't for the life of me think what. 

Passenger door armrest/electric window switches/release handle are straight out of a Mk5 Golf though.

I guess at that stage they just need random parts to fill gaps, that car was shown off to dealers and buyers so just needed to look more finished than it was.

Hmmm, no, the "Rover" one has a bridge between the two binnacles quite high up. But not as high as a 2009-ish Fiesta which is also close (albeit 6 years younger than that design)

I can even picture the plastic it's made from, quite a scratchy hard thing. Naturally that made me go looking at Volkswagen but no, can't find anything with that design.

That double-bubble dashboard binnacle is ripped off something else but I can't for the life of me think what.

Passenger door armrest/electric window switches/release handle are straight out of a Mk5 Golf though.

I guess at that stage they just need random parts to fill gaps, that car was shown off to dealers and buyers so just needed to look more finished than it was.

Thats where I've seen those bits before....

For me the best bit from that AROnline article is this...

One Engineer involved on the programme said: ‘I’d been tipped off by an Engineer, who had seen the RDX60 at the TWR Design Centre, that the car looked interesting. Apparently, Kevin Howe had overruled Peter Stevens and chosen the final design over some much more stylish options.’

He added mischievously: ‘From my experience, I’ve leaned that when Styling Departments present a number of design themes for Directors to choose one for development, they usually already know which one they want, and present a couple of lame ducks as alternative options, thus increasing the chances of their ‘favourite’ being chosen. To me, it sounded that had such a plan been pursued, but had backfired.’

I believe the green car still exists in some shape or form. If memory serves it did some time in the Elephant House at Longbridge whilst it was MG Motor UK's (lack of) sales HQ. It might even still be there. I think it might have had a KV6 in it as well. 

I always thought it was very Signum. Not a bad effort though from a team who, towards the end, were forced to divide their time between taming axle tramp on V8 ZT's and tarting up Indicas. Oh and manning sales booths in motorway service stations. Cheers Kev.

Made me think of the T4 Rover (it's not obvious from the angle of this pic but I reckon that's what they were "paying tribute to"-

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-1961-rover-t4-gas-turbine-car-artist-unknown-135283618.html

Edit - this shows it better

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/triggerscarstuff/28302171840/

I hope that still exists as dougiefourspeed suggests. I remember reading that it was driven on stage by Peter Stevens to show dealers.  It must have cost a fortune to make by whatever contractor was handed the job.  Its quite surprising we don't know more about that prototype considering all the time that has passed.   

Currently trying to draw the earlier 3 door TWR MG version.  Still quite Vauxhall but a bit more rakish and aggressive.

post-18268-0-30720600-1547142865_thumb.jpg

Keith Adams refers to seeing it ‘in the flesh’ for the first time in a visit to Longbridge in 2011, so I assume it exists if MG Motor UK haven’t scrapped it.

For me that two-tone dash looks very Fiesta Mk6 (2002) of which the interior was designed in Dunton. In the end Ford didn’t do much with this, but the original intent of the designers was all sorts of colour combos.