Commander BOND Hemi - EMISSIONS MATTER

Ian_Fearn

can you stand up straight after the email from dvla? :o

can ya not pay dd for old stuff?

I think it was an option but I just swallowed hard and paid up.

The guy I bought it from was a really nice guy, 1 family owned from new. £2500 worth of Prins LPG conversion and runs perfectly on it, no spurious warning lights etc. The only thing I can really see wrong is that the alloys really want a refurb as the lacquer is gone. Stacks of service history and stamped up books.

First impressions are as expected really. Huge effortless power and floaty handling. I've just driven 150 miles through awful rain in complete comfort. I LOVE IT.

£2500 worth of Prins LPG conversion

As you probably know, you've got the best made system there, designed to have the same sort of lifespan as the original vehicle components. Not a cheap conversion, but the people who get a gas conversion done on the grounds of cost alone tend to be those moaning that running on LPG is full of problems...

Well bought!

As you probably know, you've got the best made system there, designed to have the same sort of lifespan as the original vehicle components. Not a cheap conversion, but the people who get a gas conversion done on the grounds of cost alone tend to be those moaning that running on LPG is full of problems...

Well bought!

Mat, thanks, that's useful to know, most of the LPG Jeep's on eBay seem to say "ECU light on, has always done it" but this seems fine. I believe this should have MDS (cylinder de-activation) which again a 5.7 Grand Cherokee I was looking at said was a problem on gas.

I've been trying to get on the LPG forum to ask about servicing it but it seems to have gone..... Any ideas?

Aye. Fuel bill savings likely to easily make up for the hefty tax. Now, can we have a video mister?

If you want to hear the engine, you'll be disappointed, its whisper quiet with a very subdued snarl when prodded. There's simply no exhaust note, just engine. Perhaps this should be remedied? 

Believe it or not, I was actually looking for a Rickman Ranger when this popped up.

Check see if it's had the timing chain tensioner done- they've a fault where it running on 4 causes some sort of vibration at about 2000 rpm and the tensioner breaks up and the engine lunches itself. Here it was a factory recall on all 5.7's built from about 2012 through 2016.

Found my 5.7 happy to buzz along on 4 at 70 and give really respectable fuel economy for the size engine.

Phil

My Challenger put up ECO on the dash display.

Also the "Driving a Ford Corsair" feeling gives it away. You can feel the difference in how smooth the engine is. Mine would go into 4-pot mode from third gear and about 25 mph and with gentle acceleration would get to 70 on 4 with ease in the flat. Unlike my Chevy it would hang in on 4 until you began to lean on the throttle a bit.

Phil

These have strong future shite potential, I mean just see what the boss of Chrysler said about them: http://www.leftlanenews.com/marchionne-jeep-commander-was-unfit-for-human-consumption.html

"That car was unfit for human consumption, we sold some but I don't know why people bought them."

Does anybody know what my options are for a spare key?

It came with 2 but one is basically useless. The remote doesn't work and the key will start the car but only instantaneously until the immobilser kicks in. From what i've heard Jeep dealers are mega bucks but will give them a try tomorrow.

In all seriousness, I had a mega result with Timpsons on a transponder key for my 306 cabrio. £40, reduced to £30 as I had to queue for about 15 mins to get served.

Dearer if you want a remote fob, but I just locked it with the key each time and was fine.

Looks great this. Enjoy:

My Challenger put up ECO on the dash display.

Also the "Driving a Ford Corsair" feeling gives it away. You can feel the difference in how smooth the engine is. 

I've been through the book and there's no tell tale giveaway lights on the dash but i have noticed a certain 'less smoothness' at light cruise so i'm assuming its all good. Apparently the light came from 2008 models so i'm 2 years prior to that. 

According to google, when activated MDS might give you another 2mpg???? Was it really worth it?

I'm still marveling at how bloody good this LPG malarkey is. Its absolutely seem-less. I've read the blurb before on LPG but always thought, yeah right WHATEVER but it really is:

Turn key to start

Its automatically on petrol

Drive for less than a mile when it switches to LPG. 

No noise, no clicking, no hesitation.

You simply don't know its changed except a tiny little light on the centre console that goes from orange to green. Marvelous, why didn't i buy an LPG car years ago??

Mat, thanks, that's useful to know, most of the LPG Jeep's on eBay seem to say "ECU light on, has always done it" but this seems fine. I believe this should have MDS (cylinder de-activation) which again a 5.7 Grand Cherokee I was looking at said was a problem on gas.

I've been trying to get on the LPG forum to ask about servicing it but it seems to have gone..... Any ideas?

Wouldn't have thought it should be an issue with a decent system - it's slaved from the petrol ECU so if the petrol injector pulses stop, so do the gas injections. I haven't been on the LPG forum for a while, as I don't use a gas vehicle at the moment and am cutting down on browsing!

The Prins software doesn't tend to be available outside their dealers, which may restrict you a little as to who can service it. Filters you can do yourself easily, but worth checking the mapping to make sure nothing has drifted.

I'm still marveling at how bloody good this LPG malarkey is. Its absolutely seem-less. I've read the blurb before on LPG but always thought, yeah right WHATEVER but it really is:

Turn key to start

Its automatically on petrol

Drive for less than a mile when it switches to LPG. 

No noise, no clicking, no hesitation.

You simply don't know its changed except a tiny little light on the centre console that goes from orange to green. Marvelous, why didn't i buy an LPG car years ago??

Yup, how it should be :-) It'll switch to gas one cylinder at a time, so there's no jolt between fuels. I was toying with the idea of something like a Kenlowe Hotstart, so you could switch over straight away. Depends what proportion of your usual journeys are in that mile or so on petrol.

up.

Welcome to LPG motoring!

http://www.lpgforum.co.uk

Now you just need a disability to get free road tax and you'll be laughing*

That sounds low my fathers v8 grand cherokee is topping 3 miles per litre towing on lpg

How are you checking? Completely ignore the gauge for gas nobody in the uk seems able to make one that's accurate.

Fill to fill and reset the trip meter is the only reliable way preferably from the same pump as they vary.

I've just checked the trip computer and it shows 16.0mpg which is much more what I was expecting. I'm happy at that but i'll keep an eye on things over the next few fills.

I suspect the previous owner had perhaps done maybe 100+ miles rather than the 50 he originally said. I don't think he was conning me, he lived right out in the country so i suspect a drive to the local shops was probably 25+ miles.

I've just checked the trip computer and it shows 16.0mpg which is much more what I was expecting.

That won't tell you anything unfortunately. Reason being that this is calculated from the petrol injector opening times, so when you're running on LPG the gas system works out its injection times from the petrol times, with a fiddle factor, and pressure/temperature compensation.

In a perfectly mapped system, the petrol injector times (and therefore the displayed mpg) would be identical regardless of fuel, but there may be a small difference in the mapping so when on gas the lambda feedback trims the petrol times (and hence the gas) to get a perfect mixture. Even if the injector times are identical between fuels, it tells you nothing about the volume of LPG being used.

I've just checked the trip computer and it shows 16.0mpg which is much more what I was expecting. I'm happy at that but i'll keep an eye on things over the next few fills.

I suspect the previous owner had perhaps done maybe 100+ miles rather than the 50 he originally said. I don't think he was conning me, he lived right out in the country so i suspect a drive to the local shops was probably 25+ miles.

Is that US gallons rather than UK?

My friend had a 96 cherokee and, from memory, that worked on the whole 4 litres to the gallon calculation. 

I think you might be right about it being an imperial gallon rather than our 4.456 litre conversion. Either way, based on Mats explanation I probably need to keep a check over the next few tanks. 

Starting to make a mental list of jobs that i'd like to do. I've read up on timing chain tensioner failure, thanks to PhilA on that tip off. An upgraded kit is available from Summit for $240 but it seems to mostly affect the VVT Hemi's (during normal service life) that came in around 2009. I have seen various bits of info that say the pre-VVT tensioners will fail eventually so an eye should be kept on them anyway although its a tougher design.

Looks like a fairly involved job to change but not overly complex.

I really love the way the US aftermarket jumps on cars where problems exist.