Scruffy Saab---What to do--HGF again!

Vantman

• 1 month later...

I would love a 900 Aero in black, but their now about 4000 pounds to buy.

One of these

1990-saab-900-9.jpg

I had one way back in the day, was advertised very miserly,when you had to pay by the word. Saab 900, black,MOT £400. That was it. Turned up to a flat front T16s, black,whale tail, tan leather, aircon,3 spokes,acc. gauges the lot. I nearly widdled a bit when he opened the garage door. I was THE MAN for a bit. Turbo lag was stoopid though . ...... .. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..BLAM.

Had to totally change my driving style, and hang well back from the car in front, but by gum when you got it right it was a missile. This car is a big part o the reason I'm back in a Saab, but now I'm older and slower it's a 95 2.3 turbo..... auto......estate.

I have now done 800 trouble free miles in this and fixed a few niggles since I bought it.

Two new Falken tyres as the ones on the car when I bought it had numerous sidewall cracks that looked decidedly unsafe plus they were 12 years old.

I then changed the engine oil and filter again and had a general walk round with an oil can and also checked the other fluid levels.

Fixed the heated screenwash 'thingy' now working as it should,squirting hot water on to the screen',so I fitted some new wiper blades as well.

post-4998-0-71294700-1458411651_thumb.jpg

Things to do are-- Change the brake fluid, change the transmission fluid and replace the vacuum hose as it is all rather brittle. I expect other things will come to light the more I use it especially after standing a few years.

All in all I am well chuffed with it,this is my 15th Saab but this one makes me smile more than the others did.

I still haven't washed it,apart from the windows. I took it to a local Saab meet where it was scorned by all the shiny ones and their drivers.

It does. http://www.iflscience.com/chemistry/hot-water-freezes-faster-cold-and-now-we-know

Never seen a Saab screenwash heater though, even though there've been a few old 900s in the family down the years. I adored my '85 T16, it was keen and raw yet comfortable and civilised, one of the early ones with two-tone grey paint. In 25,000 hard miles, all it ever needed was a set of dampers and an exhaust manifold gasket - just as the mileometer rolled round to 200k. Happy memories -  those cars were beautifully designed and made.

Here's the Stuttgart take on screenwash heating, it's a small s/s coil fed with coolant which is sat in the washer fluid.

post-4845-0-14974100-1458486731_thumb.jpg  post-4845-0-46056600-1458486765_thumb.jpg

Ooof! That doesn't look too shabby!

A convertible one of these (badged as a 'turbo s' - not sure if accurate but certainly looked plausible) in post office yellow overtook me near Banstead today - front end looked a bit wonky but overall that one and yours has reminded me how much I would love one of these, even for a short while! 

Wait, the hot screen wash thing, is that just mounted on/in one of the coolant hoses to heat the screen wash by heat exchange?

Yes,that is how it is done. A genuine Saab 'Hotwash' accessory, £17.48 in 1991.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

My name is John Hollingworth and I am desperate to find a characterful late 1980s/early 1990s Saab 900 to star in a short film I'm producing that will film on location around Sussex April 28th - May 2nd.

Bunny and Clive is directed by Rob Ford and shot by John Redford. It is our third time of working together as a team. Our first short Ham did well on the festival circuit; our second 1946 - starring Andrew Buchan (Broadchurch; Garrow's Law)- did even better and was BAFTA long-listed; we're hoping to go even better with this film.

Bunny and Clive was selected as one of eight short films out of five hundred to be backed by Film London as part of their London Calling scheme which will give us a platform at the London Film Festival.

We have been lucky to attract a great team already: Lorraine Ashbourne (The Selfish Giant; Oranges and Sunshine; Jericho) will be our Bunny and Gerard Kearns (Red Riding; Looking for Eric; Shameless) our Clive. Edel McDonnell (New Blood; The Tunnel; Jekyll & Hyde) will be editing, Technicolor are doing our post, Julian Lloyd Webber's assistant is scoring the film, Panalux doing a deal on our lighting and Anna Cooper CDG (Untitled Christopher Nolan project 2017; Lady In The Van; Belle; Fast Girls) is casting.

We need our Saab to be free from April 27th - May 3nd to be driven on our shoot days by our well-known lead actor. We can pick up and drop back to owners and will pay for the adding of our lead actor as a named driver on existing insurance for our shoot dates. We would also need to add a nominated crew member to this insurance to take individual care of the car during the shoot and make sure it is handled with appropriate care when travelling between locations - we would pay for this additional insurance too. I would also leave a cash deposit along with photocopied passport and utility bills to serve as proofs of address.

The car would be parked securely on a private road every night after filming and we are happy to cover it as appropriate. As the son of an ardent vintage VW Beetle owner I know what it is to love a period car!

A south-east location is an advantage but I will travel to find the right car. We can offer a small day rate in cash for each day used and are happy to provide digital copies of stills form the film featuring the car as well as at least one hero shot of the car itself. For more information please contact me at jahollingworth@yahoo.co.uk with some contact details and a few pictures of your car.

For more information on the film please see our Kickstarter crowd-funding page https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bu ... -and-clive

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
John

A promising response!!

Hi Brian,

Thanks very much for getting in touch.  You car looks absolutely brilliant!  Battle scar and all.  It's got tonnes of character and that's a fantastic mileage for the age of the car!  

It's very much the sort of thing we are after.  Would you have any pictures of the boot in an open and shut position?  Thanks for your numbers - I'll try you on the phone in about an hour if that suits?  I'm contacting all car owners who've contact us en bloc then.

Very best,

John

Fabulous!

bonnie-clyde-car-bullet-holes.jpg

Might be worth checking the small print...  :-D

Yes it is a retelling of the original but my car is not involved in the actual shoot scene,it is used more as a getaway car,not at great speed though! I have been told that I may be able to actually drive the car in the final scene. Sounds good to me.

Yes it is a retelling of the original but my car is not involved in the actual shoot scene,it is used more as a getaway car,not at great speed though! I have been told that I may be able to actually drive the car in the final scene. Sounds good to me.

You really need to check the small print in the contract......