Heather Mills offers me the works.....

tooSavvy

... Total Fantasy element ALERT.....

How come, if I currently drive one of their vans, do I need to provide this 'Access DVLA' 8digit number, so Car Hire can check me out for hiring a car..???

Anyone know where this Access number is created..??

TS

Paper counterpart of the drivers licence was abolished a few months ago.

However the fucknut that decided this would be a good idea failed to realise that points are NOT noted on the card section, therefor there is no record of your points anywhere except on DVLA computers.

So now you have to do some bullshit hoop-jumping to get an attestation of how many points you have before you can hire a car if the car-hire place requires this information. I dont know how you do it though.

You walk home without your hire car, wondering what was wrong with a bit of paper and also wondering why the guy who thought it would be a good idea to replace it with a website and SMS service that works when it wants to and leaves you kinda screwed if you dont have a smartphone still has his job.

Paper counterpart of the drivers licence was abolished a few months ago.

However the fucknut that decided this would be a good idea failed to realise that points are NOT noted on the card section, therefor there is no record of your points anywhere except on DVLA computers.

So now you have to do some bullshit hoop-jumping to get an attestation of how many points you have before you can hire a car if the car-hire place requires this information. I dont know how you do it though.

You can print off the information or give them a code to access your driving information.

I've never been asked for my paper driving license to hire a car, bear in mind I've only hired a car once and it was in Cyprus.

I've noticed insurance companies asking for that number too, presumably so they can make you prove you're not actually one 33 in a 30 zone away from court.

No idea how it works though. Was going to say "they'll prise the paper counterpart out of my cold, dead hands!", but then I remembered it's up for renewal next year so I'll have to be repressed by da system anyway and give it up.

The system changed because the old one was bollocks. My mum had her handbag stolen once, with her paper licence in. Applied for a new one. Police then phoned her the week after when someone handed her handbag in, minus cash but with cards and licence. She then had two licences, so as far as the old system went she could have points put on one, and show the other to prove what a good driver she was.

Nothing to stop that happening without the theft, if you're regularly borrowing cars or applying for driving jobs just apply for a replacement licence as a clean spare. The new system is guaranteed to offer up to date information.

It also means you don't have to carry a dog-eared piece of paper around in the 21st century as proof of your entitlement do do something.

I have lived at my current address since the last millennium, and I fear that hiring a car with my paper parchment may be a problem in future.

Wifey thinks I should apply for a photo card. Please tell me this is pointless. My points are clearly on the paper for all to view.

Pah!! I was summoned to Newmarket & presented with a brand new Partner (not Ms Mills, worse luck).

11 miles showing and Empty!!

The office sent me off to a local who takes KeyFuels (ESSO) and I asked the lass on the counter to confirm they DO take the card....

I dropped in £55 DERV and went to pay : : 'Blaep'... card not validated.

I rang back to the office and my line manager paid with his company expenses card, over the phone.

Card is 100% hot & works day in day out at my Morrisons..... very mysterious  :?

No 'auto destruction derby' folks  :-(

TS