Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Zel's Motoring Adventures...Lada, Citroen, Saab, Sinclair...and a Pug 107.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 175 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:09 PM

Only had an hour or so today to allocate to car stuff, but did manage to give the Skoda a bit of a pre-MOT once-over.  Most importantly I had a crawl around underneath...

IMG_20171109_151159.jpg

...and am happy to report that there doesn't appear to have been any material degradation since the last MOT.  Still plenty of surface rust, especially on the suspension components, but nothing that a wire brush and treatment shouldn't put stop to.  A few nasty looking areas on the sills revealed some peeling underseal, but nothing horrible underneath - I'll be going back and treating that in the next couple of days.  Most importantly though, despite being quite firm with the screwdriver I use for testing for nasty rust, I didn't poke holes in anything!

I'm also going to get a set of brake hoses ordered in because these are the originals and I don't trust them (once I ascertain exactly which set I need), and I've already got a new thermostat on the way to replace the current one which appears to be sticking occasionally.

Really do need to figure out a better way of securing the ramps...getting on and off them is a royal pain.  Both of these launched themselves into the garage the moment I started driving off them. 

I never realised before how ridiculously long the rear suspension springs on these cars are...they must be a foot and a half even when fitted to the car...No wonder the ride's quite soft...

Hopefully getting quite close to being ready to move on to her new home now.

• Heidel_Kakao, danthecapriman, Shep Shepherd and 2 others like this

Current fleet: 1989 Saab 900i Auto.  1987 Skoda Estelle 120LX 21st Anniversary Special Edition.  1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate.  2009 Peugeot 107 Verve.  1985 Sinclair C5.

#32 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 175 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

So today I went to do some work on the Skoda, my intention being to replace the suspect thermostat and to refit the original water pump given that it's now been proven to be nothing to do with the overheating problem.  The fact that the aftermarket one on there (which came on my original 130GL) lacks the grease cup and that being missing bothers my sense of OCD.

Difference between the original pump (left) and the aftermarket one (attached to engine) below...

IMG_20171114_140439.jpg

I wound up giving up on that today...Turns out that the tiny smear of gasket sealant I put on the seal when I fitted it apparently forms a *really bloody strong* bond after a couple of years, so it really didn't want to come off.  So have filed that under "come back to later."  Likely with the engine still warm too as that will hopefully soften the sealant a bit.

Only took me half an hour to get that horrible little 2" bit of hose between the water pump and the rigid line to the heater return line back on after one of the hose clips fell to bits.  Third rear engined Skoda, and that bit of pipe has been an equal pain in the proverbial rear on every one of them when I've had to disturb it.

Anyhow, got back to the main tasks of the day - to flush the system out and to change the 'stat.  Glad to report that the coolant that came out both when initially drained down and when reverse flushed was spotlessly clean - so guess I did a good job last time.

The thermostat which came out is a Mahle one, so has been changed at some point before.

IMG_20171114_155701.jpg

Certainly not the worst looking one I've ever seen, wasn't obviously clogged up or collapsed...I'll test it tomorrow to see whether it opens/closes properly.  If so I'll keep it as a spare.  Annoyingly it didn't come with a replacement gasket, so I had to bodge things back together with the old one - I've ordered a new one though (all of GBP1.69), so will get that tidied up as soon as that turns up.

Then just had to wait an eternity while the thing warmed up after refilling the system.  Takes a fair while to heat up 11 litres of coolant to full operating temperature when you can't actually take the car out the driveway!  Heater nice and hot though (orders of magnitude better than that on either of the previous Estelles I've had), and about as much air as I'd expect bled out and it seems to be sitting right where it should on the gauge...Guess we'll find out once booked in for the MOT whether it behaves itself on the way there!  Will ring the garage up and book it in tomorrow.

• danthecapriman, Sigmund Fraud and Coprolalia like this

Current fleet: 1989 Saab 900i Auto.  1987 Skoda Estelle 120LX 21st Anniversary Special Edition.  1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate.  2009 Peugeot 107 Verve.  1985 Sinclair C5.

#33 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 3,750 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:32 PM

Great job so far. Fingers crossed for the MOT...
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#34 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 175 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

Okay, booked in for an MOT tomorrow.  Had a quick additional look over this afternoon, fluid check etc and gave the washer motor the obligatory once-a-year thwack with the screwdriver to get it to work again.  Also checked all the lights over and stuff so I don't wind up with a fail for something daft like that.  Nearside numberplate lamp, I'm looking at you.

Will need to stick a fresh set of wiper blades on in the morning (have them here, just need to clip them on - it's tipping it down outside just now though) as one of the blades is falling to bits, and stick a bit of air in the tyres, then we'll be off.  Fingers crossed, ending up with a fresh test an hour later - not breaking down in a cloud of steam half way to the test station.

As soon as that's done I'll also be taking the Activa in for its test - will be the first time I'll have ever even sat in the car, so quite looking forward to that.  Not expecting any drama on that for the test given the attention to detail that's gone into the work done on the car by the previous owner.

• Sigmund Fraud likes this

#35 OFFLINE   mk2_craig

mk2_craig

• Full Members
  • 2,142 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationIT'S CLEAN THE PLATES HAVE BEEN CHANGED THAT'LL BE $7438.

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:43 PM

Success?

1984 Ford Fiesta XR2 - Devaluing the neighbourhood since 2008

Nottinghamshite
Channel Island Cack
Everywhere Else

#36 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 175 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:40 AM

Sorry for the delay, been a manic day!

Skoda needs two patches to the offside inner sill but otherwise went through fine - and celebrated by bursting the hydraulic line for the clutch as I backed out of the test centre.  Was only slightly embarrassing...

The Activa unsurprisingly flew straight through the test with a clean sheet, unsurprisingly to me given the attention to detail of her previous owner.  Drove home like a new car too.  Doesn't half feel quick...

IMG_20171116_231703.jpg IMG_20171116_231610.jpg

No photo of any fuel stop en route as the tank is full.

The only brief failure to proceed is the fact that I now need to wait a bit for the DVLA to get their act together before I can tax it... hopefully won't take them too long.

More to follow soon.

• Heidel_Kakao, Six-cylinder, Sigmund Fraud and 1 other like this

#37 ONLINE   Ghosty

Ghosty

Some people get all the breaks...

• Full Members
  • 6,296 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationManchester

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:48 AM

That numberplate :shock: brilliant.

• Heritage motor centre, Sigmund Fraud and jumpingjehovahs like this

1987 Volvo 740 GLE

#38 OFFLINE   Heidel_Kakao

Heidel_Kakao

• Full Members
  • 819 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationBrierley Hill

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

That leather interior looks a very welcoming place to be.

1990 Proton Aeroback 1.5 GLS
1993 VW Corrado VR6
1996 Citroen XM 2.0 Turbo VSX auto estate
1996 Citroen XM 2.5TD VSX manual estate

#39 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 175 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:48 PM

It is a very nice place to be.  Having previously owned an S2 Xantia it's quite an interesting game spotting all the detail differences.  Most obvious so far being the lack of the clever door pockets and a comically tiny glove box.  Other differences are the mechanical rather than digital odometer, thermometer in the rev counter rather than by the clock, slightly different typeface on the instruments, the rear window heater having its own switch rather than a button on the wiper stalk an IR rather than RF remote for the central locking and of course the numeric keypad for the immobiliser.

The aux in socket on the stereo will be a bonus, and from what I recall it's not a bad sounding system.

Just a shame that cruise wasn't offered on the Activa, despite pretty much all of the other toys (including a rear windscreen sun shade) being ticked by default.

#40 OFFLINE   Daviemck2006

Daviemck2006

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 33 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

Having gone the other way, a mk1 activa to Zels old mk2 td I notice the same differences. The first time I closed the door on the td I thought I had broken the door pull lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#41 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 175 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:15 PM

If it makes you feel any better Davie, it took me nearly a week to find the cubby hole under door handle.

No excuse either as the Renault 25 has nearly identical ones...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users