*STILL LEAKING FML *Forum LCBL Star '05 Audi A8 D3 3.0TDi

Split_Pin

Bouyed by this successful fix I gave it a wash and discovered that the OSR rear brake caliper is pissing fluid.
New one seems to just be £94 and comes with a motor too. My code reader does the caliper windback as well so not so bad.
I'll just have to use the Saab for a bit until it arrives!
That's funny because I can't drive my Saab because my near side rear brake caliper is pissing fluid.

12 minutes ago, DirtyDaily said:
14 minutes ago, bangernomics said:
When you’ve fixed everything can you arrange to put it up for sale ready for October this year please when I will need a big comfy barge for a few months whilst working again.

Thanks.

Gzongenflatch

There's a queue I'm afraid

Yes quite a long one!

3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Cheers Ronnie!

I think our cars are indeed the same colour!

I can't contain my nerdiness and need to report that they aren't. Your's is Nordlicht Blau Perleffect (Aurora Blue Pearlescent) with a light tan interior which I forgot the name of. Great color combo.

21 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

I can't contain my nerdiness and need to report that they aren't. Your's is Nordlicht Blau Perleffect (Aurora Blue Pearlescent) with a light tan interior which I forgot the name of. Great color combo.

Nothing wrong with nerdiness,  thanks for confirming as I forgot the English name for the colour. 

I know all the colours for Fords from 1981, that's even more nerdy 😂

19 minutes ago, DirtyDaily said:
22 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

Can't tell you have German roots

I researched the exact spec before I even got the car😂 A lot of the stuff is £££ if you were spec'ing the car when new.

8 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

The options are on the bill of sale, you will know what those are without me even telling you though! I believe the wheels were a very expensive option.

Yeah, and with quite a few things standard in the UK (like leather) where you'd pay extra even for that back home it really is a nicely equipped car.

The caliper came today, it was dry outside and I had a few free hours in the afternoon and evening so I cracked on.

Horrible job tbh. I've done a few calipers but this one was very awkward. For a start, the only spanner size I don't have is an 18 and guess what the caliper carriers are held on by? A quick dash to Halfords netted an offset ring 18 and a combination 18 as well. Although almost everything bar the carrier is aluminium, all the bolts were incredibly tight and hard to access. I had to use a scissor jack under the spanner to get some leverage as my breaker bar would not get near the carrier bolts.

Got there eventually though:

20240420_161401.jpg.23a13b11851a41577eea9b684dbda5da.jpg

You can see that the rear seal of the piston has been pissing out fluid.

Cheerio

20240420_181148.jpg.ab715ba15d1cb76db9a35dea9cebfe5c.jpg

New one on:

20240420_181139.jpg.ae927acdceed92d06f01051a2b80be55.jpg

Comes with a new handbrake motor

20240420_181145.jpg.7d6455bc02c85cc40ba91851ae39fd0f.jpg

Theres a bit of a procedure surrounding all of this. First, you need to put the car in 'jacking mode' so the air suspension stays level when one corner is raised. Next, you need to wind back the handbrake motors via the scanner. Before fitting the new caliper, you need to remove the handbrake motor to access the torx fitting which allows you to wind the piston in with the pads fitted until they just touch the disc in no more. Next, after bleeding the caliper, you need to reset the parking brake with the scanner,  before finally turning off jacking mode via the MMI menu.

The brakes on this car aren't very good and the pedal has never been that sharp. The car rewarded my toil by throwing up a brake pad warning. There was at least 6 or 7 mm left on them so they were reused but obviously that's not good enough😅 I think it needs new pads all round but fuck that for today. At least I can drive it again when I come back from my holiday.

Caliper seems to be doing its job 👍 

45mpg on a run to Ayr from Falkirk last night.

Warning messages this week:

️ Brake pads low. I cleared this by telling the car they're 14mm thick (they are about 7) which made that one go away

️ Parking brake error (its always done that from time to time)

️ No key in vehicle (whilst actually driving 😳) Cue panicked pocket-  checking, key was indeed there 🤷‍♂️

I think its just trolling me.

32 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

Nice work on the caliper, was this the replacement handbrake motor from earlier that was replaced? I'm surprised it's still throwing a warning if it is, might indicate a connection issue considering it's so on and off.

The motor looked quite old so I think it's the other side that is the one which was replaced a while ago. Of course, the one I fitted was definitely top* quality 😅

43 minutes ago, SiC said:

I wonder if there is an EPB adaptation that can be reset on it. 

Yeah I did all that when I replaced the caliper. The brake still works fine so hopefully shouldn't matter come MOT time.

I had an A6 C6 - a 2004 model. The brakes were so good you felt as if the car would stand on it's nose.

Even after new pads and a rear caliper I would occasionally get a warning that the parking brake was on the fritz.

22 minutes ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

45 to the gallon!!!

A car of this size with a 3 litre engine should not be able to achieve this sort of MPG figure! I am glad though as I can use it for any trip I want to, near or far.

I've been using 'lift' mode regularly over all the shitty speed bumps round my way, its great, I feel like Michael Knight or something 😅

I also treated the seats to Gliptone Liquid Leather. They didn't really need it but it makes a nice smell :) Very nice material on the upholstery, I'm more used to crappy Vauxhall stuff.

I have noticed that the coolant level has been dropping slightly and today I spotted a small wet patch under the front bumper.

To investigate further, THE BUMPER WILL HAVE TO COME OFF!!11!1!!11!!!

On the plus side,  I think I have finally managed to get the parking brake warning to be quiet 👍

Ageing prestige German barge life.

I meant to ask, @Kiltox @83C @Schaefft who were the more recent owners, I think I'm looking at 2x Torx in each wheelarch and a row on the slam panel area, plus subsequent disconnecting of plugs and washer pipes. Can any of you possibly remember if there are any hidden ones which would leave me scratching my head as to why the bumper won't come off 😅🤔

Yeah I didn't tag you as I knew you'd been lucky with it 😀

I moved it across the drive this morning and it's definitely coolant t but it's right behind the bumper so it's something near or on the radiator. A Nissens one is £400, thankfully cheaper ones are available.

If it's anything like my A3 and A4 its the Torx you describe plus possibly a 10mm hex somewhere under the headlight which is accessed from inside the wing/wheelarch liner.

Sharp tug to unclip from the clips on the side and watch out for washer related gubbins.

16 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I meant to ask, @Kiltox @83C @Schaefft who were the more recent owners, I think I'm looking at 2x Torx in each wheelarch and a row on the slam panel area, plus subsequent disconnecting of plugs and washer pipes. Can any of you possibly remember if there are any hidden ones which would leave me scratching my head as to why the bumper won't come off 😅🤔

There are 10mm fasteners between the bumper and wings 

See where it’s scratched to fuck on both wings? There. 

Three on each side but I definitely didn’t refit all six. 

Definitely make sure it's coolant as it was the headlight washer pipe that leaked previously before I reattached it properly. Only a lower grille removal needed there. Bumper removal should be straight forward though, definitely was on the D2.

36 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

Definitely make sure it's coolant as it was the headlight washer pipe that leaked previously before I reattached it properly. Only a lower grille removal needed there. Bumper removal should be straight forward though, definitely was on the D2.

Yeah it is pink and the level is dropping slightly over time. 

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

No idea, I never had to remove the bumper 😂