Tommy's A-series Misery - Building an A-series engine

Tommyboy12

I love Minis, I’ve had a few over the years. My first two cars were 850s and over the next few years I had an 80s City with an MG Metro engine, a 70s 1100 Clubman and a very late 2000 registered Cooper. 

The Mini is a better drivers car, in standard form at least but I have to say that for some reason I love my current Beetle in a way that I didn’t with any of my Minis. 

Perhaps it was just the right car at a time when I was ready to properly enjoy it? 

I think being able to enjoy it has a lot to do with it. I am not enjoying the MGF and it puts me off using it when it is done. It's only the sentiment that drives me forward with it but it's not going to be the same as something I truly want at the right time. The Bug happened along at the right time and I'm enjoying it so far but it'll also go way before any of my Minis. I also do have a bit of a thing for picking up a bit of a snotter and getting it to a better place than it was

Last night I had fun...

PXL_20231115_174512959.thumb.jpg.6b2ffb5d91d341aef6753caf6eef17c3.jpg

PXL_20231115_184057992.thumb.jpg.8e31bccb92fa835e99d9cafc5ffdc1a1.jpg

I think it's self inflicted. Generator seems to be seized and the bearing collapsed. I fitted a new fan belt but I think I might have fitted the wrong one and it was too small so it was tugging on the bearings and it overheated and seized. It looks like both 905mm and 912mm belts were fitted and I went with 905 as I couldnt tell off the old belt as it was stretched.

I ordered a new generator and the correct belt on the roadside while I waited 😅 £70 for a new one so not the most painful mistake

• Tommyboy12 changed the title to Tommy's A-series Misery - Beetle Breakdown

That’s annoying.

Mine last packed up around this time last year and left me sat in the glamorous location of a Home Bargains car park in Lisburn.  It actually died at an adjacent (and uphill) junction but a few chaps were kind enough to give me a push to get it off the road. 

I was bloody freezing by the time I got home. 

1 hour ago, Matty said:

I reckon forum funded recovery trucks strategically placed around the country. Breaking downs no sweat in itself, its the half day wait to get towed home that hurts.

Exhibit b fellow lunatic. Half an hour

20230916_173605.thumb.jpg.e4c7006bda48631039723c763a07823f.jpg

That's the kind of efficiency I'd expect from no-nonsense chap like Mick Lynch.

That is Mick sorting out the straps, isn't it?

9 minutes ago, Volksy said:

Pretty sure its an engine out job to replace the generator/alternator on Beetles. as you cant raise the fan shroud high enough to clear the pedestal.  

No need to pull engine. There are four bolts that hold the fan/dynamo assembly to the fan shroud.

3 minutes ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

No need to pull engine. There are four bolts that hold the fan/dynamo assembly to the fan shroud.

It's been a very long time since I've done one, but I can guarantee that getting the Fan Nut undone will be very difficult. 

My recollection of Beetle engine jobs is that it is so easy to take the engine out that there really is no point in struggling with in-situ work. And whilst the engine is out you can do the valve clearances, replace the plugs and those leaking rocker cover  gaskets, the duff thermostat…

8 hours ago, Tommyboy12 said:

I might have fitted the wrong one and it was too small so it was tugging on the bearings and it overheated and seized. It looks like both 905mm and 912mm belts were fitted and I went with 905 as I couldnt tell off the old belt as it was stretched.

4 hours ago, Asimo said:

image.thumb.jpeg.1ec9f4dd53f24b6ceeedad9144ad0e05.jpeg

I was going to say did you tension it by messing about with the spacers, quite an innovative design I suppose but not as quick as the more commonplace arrangement

4 hours ago, Volksy said:

Yeh, It is a lot easier to pull the motor. You do need a decent trolley jack though.

Use it as a good excuse to buy one of these:

https://www.costco.co.uk/Tyres-Automotive/Garage/Trolley-Jacks-Axle-Stands/Arcan-2750kg-3-Ton-Steel-Service-Jack-Model-XL2750EU/p/254971

You will never regret it. I got one a few years ago and use it often, having made do with the usual little DIY one for ages.

It makes SO many jobs easier and safer. Could make a nice Xmas present too 😉

It all depends if you can get the fan nut off in situ. I wish you all the luck, it is possibly the most annoying job to complete, as everything is about 5mm too big to clear what you want it to.

I have managed once with engine in, and once with engine out. I would start engine in if doing it again, with engine out as plan b. 

Good luck!! 

2 hours ago, bunglebus said:

I was going to say did you tension it by messing about with the spacers, quite an innovative design I suppose but not as quick as the more commonplace arrangement

It’s the only way it can be done as the generator can’t move relative to the crankshaft, the fan in its housing is fixed or the airflow would be messed up.

If you’ve got a flat area to work, I’d echo pulling the engine to do the generator replacement, makes it much easier and doesn’t take much longer.

When I got my Beetle back together I had to change the dynamo 4 times! The one it came with was faulty so I fitted a spare that I had. That didn't work either so got one off a mate which also didn't bloody work! Was fed up by this point so bought an alternator conversion kit! I had to take off the bracket the decklid hinges bolt to to get the fan housing high enough to get the fan out but by the 4th time I was quite good at it! The fan nut I used an impact gun to undo.

Having looked into it I'm borderline engine out vs. in-situ. I definitely have the ability to whip it out and it doesn't look that complicated. I might give the fan nut a go first off and see if it will come off. If it doesn't then I know what I'm doing!

3 minutes ago, Tommyboy12 said:

Having looked into it I'm borderline engine out vs. in-situ. I definitely have the ability to whip it out and it doesn't look that complicated. I might give the fan nut a go first off and see if it will come off. If it doesn't then I know what I'm doing!

Impact driver is your friend there.  I bent a very stout screwdriver trying to get the one off the Invacar - impact span it off as though it was nothing without me even having to lock the fan in place.

9 minutes ago, Tommyboy12 said:

For a compulsive fettler like your good self , you know you're gonna pull it. Think of all the jobs you can do on that engine once it's out of the car 😄

16 minutes ago, Tommyboy12 said:

General consensus seems to be if it’s been off before your in with a shot, if it’s original it’s probably at one with the shaft.

Sont think you’d get the dugga dugga in there unless you have a fancy 90 degree one. 

Time to fix the Bug!

I plumped for trying to get the fan nut off first to determine if the engine was coming out. It came off pretty easily so that set the course.

Firstly I adjusted the choke mechanism. It's an electric bimetallic heated choke device on a Beetle. When cold the choke is fully applied and as current is applied the spring warms up and loses tension turning the choke butterfly. Whoever fitted this had no idea what they were doing as the choke wasn't hooked into the butterfly properly hence a hesitation in the engine when cold. Loosen the three nuts. Turn the choke mechanism until the spring engages with the butterfly shaft. Tighten. It was a full 180 degrees out. It's notched to tell you roughly where it needs to be but clearly that was missed by whoever fitted it.

PXL_20231124_153041432.thumb.jpg.2ca8d6fb85f7f8ffd1d7dc55c1f03868.jpg

Then onto the main culprit. A very overheated and melted generator.

PXL_20231116_142354667.thumb.jpg.ddacd142df41abbe2646e02c6eb34dbe.jpg

Stripped out the carb and ancillaries around the generator. Undid the pedestal bolts hidden away under here.PXL_20231116_142334432.thumb.jpg.39dfafa29a29b1a0a15ee2ddd24dd684.jpg

After loosening a few more bolts the generator came out with the fan cover pretty easily. Leaving the fan itself in-situ. Somebody has been in here before and left the hardest to reach bolt out. I'm not complaining but it's probably not good form.

New part in. The not so eagle eyed may notice it's a different shape because this is an alternator not a generator! Unintentional upgrade! Means I'll have to do some wiring but I've gone from a 30A generator to a 55A alternator! Thankfully the pulleys and pedestal fitted were suitable for a generator or an alternator. Some parts are specific to the generator only so I got lucky there. Fuel pump is another part but this one is ok.

PXL_20231124_165359768.thumb.jpg.0ea77f0edc162c472d83f4b16a01fa95.jpg

As far as I've got so far. Darkness/weather has hindered progress.

PXL_20231124_165352975.thumb.jpg.1ca777046eb1822a85900d58c6fc7709.jpg