Nipple play! - Moogs Mootahs

The Moog

Heater worked. 200 miles home but failed the bucketeer challenge of roof down all the way

a7be80b650faa1e90b99bede9e79de96.jpg

So two countries, many miles and effectively swapped a puma for an mx5.

It was my 40th last week so of course a little red hairdressers car is exactly what I need!

4cfc6d5edaf9e0987850c88c2d1a0d44.jpg

Looking resplendent in the works car park

Current thoughts

1) couldn't use it as a daily driver - it would be too much hard work/got too soft in old age.

2) when lifting on throttle it is pulling to left - will check tyre pressures to see if it is something simple

3) government ministers shouldn't be wafted about in softly spring jags. They should be driven in lowered sports cars. That way the potholes would get fixed a lot quicker

looking good :)

I've been using mine daily since the civic sold and have to agree that it's not at all practical or comfy around the knackered edinburgh streets. I do seem to get there quicker somehow though :)

regarding the pull to the left, if your tyre pressures are good, check for a sticky caliper ? is one wheel warmer than the rest after a journey ? or it might be worth having the alignment checked / adjusted - you're not far from Paul Roddison who knows these cars inside out.

I trust you will be bringing it to knockhill next month ? looking forward to that one already.

Front left caliper was new 12 months ago and the rear left last week as it was sticking. It might be the handbrake set up, 4mm allen key under a 14mm headed bolt on the caliper, as this was done by an imbecile  :?

You get to know the roads very well and will find a slightly different road position can make a massive difference to 'comfort' while driving.

I definitely agree all government officials should be driven around in something like this and the roads would be sorted in months!

Find a long way home down a back road and you forgive it everything, then you try and get out when you arrive home...

I trust you will be bringing it to knockhill next month ? looking forward to that one already.

Oh yes. Knockhill should have 4 or 5 shiters in attendance I think with a range of cars. In theory a couple of mx5s, 172 and Mr2 and maybe a tunned Oxford estate :-)

I am just trying to persuade NJGleeds to come and play as well. 

Will check for stickiness later. Be honest it feels a little like a bushing somewhere. 

Off to plan collection number 2 this week 

*DIBS

I'm sick of looking at rotters after crossing the canal......... ;-)

I am not sure it will be going anywhere soon.

The car was pulling to left when lifting off. Googlefu said lots of things but start with tyre pressures.

Checked and they were 21ish. Pumped up to 26 and it's all fixed.

Other bonus is that there was a guy at garage air hose before me who must have put a quid in so I managed to do mine for free! Result

Difference between this and the puma is immense.

I need to cure the hamster that lives under the steering wheel squeaking all the time...

Clutch slave squeaking ? Scoosh a bit of lithium grease on the piston under the dash, that should shut it up for a bit. I don't have any lithium grease so used silicon spray on mine which worked brilliantly for at least a whole day :(

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself, make sure you use that redline - these engines love to be revved :)

Clutch slave squeaking ? Scoosh a bit of lithium grease on the piston under the dash, that should shut it up for a bit. I don't have any lithium grease so used silicon spray on mine which worked brilliantly for at least a whole day :(

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself, make sure you use that redline - these engines love to be revved :)

It's the steering wheel squeaking. Clutch seems a happy puppy.

Haven't been brave enough to give it full beans yet

Have you still got that bloody awful plastic steering wheel on it ? Get you on eBay and find a nice one immediately !

Yep. Njgleeds might have a spare and will have a look tomorrow when hangover clears :-)

He is also muttering about superchargers so I am not sure he is a good man to talk to

This is my favourite, a simple 320mm wheel but nice and chunky, it's been on my last four mx5s and done so many laps of Knockhill I've lost count. I think I paid around £30 for it off eBay and another £10 for a boss kit. Makes a massive difference to the drive, you are welcome to have a go on mine next month if you like.

post-4462-0-06878900-1517608293_thumb.jpg

As for superchargers, i say enjoy what you have for now, it's only 115hp but you can embarrass plenty of 'quicker' cars when you use it well.

don't worry about thrashing her :

weirdly, the sound is much better when he is driving

the chap in the passenger seat is Gareth, he posted on mx5scotland that he was thinking about buying a mk1 mx5 and was looking for someone who could let him have a look around / drive of their car so he knew what to look for when he went viewing. I invited him round, we had a bit of car chat then spent the afternoon pissing about in AVO on the backroads. I think he must have enjoyed himself as less than a week later, this happened :

post-4462-0-42503300-1517612099_thumb.jpg

You have all this to look forward to :)

(in a wierd, small world, coincidence, I bought that hard top off Supernaut, way before I'd even discovered Autoshite)

i've seen you fling that puma around, you'll have a blast in the mazda. the beauty of a four hour session is you can take your time and get to know the car / circuit, if it's too busy, have a break and go back out when it's not. even just watching those old videos, it's got me in the mood, at least February is only a short month to wait :)

I'll be happy to go out with you in either car and give you a bit of feedback / encouragement, I'll probably have my mate Nige with me who is pretty handy behind the wheel too (he's just turbo'd his own mx5) who I'm sure will do the same.