Oldsmobile has a new home!

purplebargeken

Ok, I have amended the first thread to highlight the car and its issues.

The car requires the following (at least) and is not an exhaustive list.

1. A bloody good service

2. ATF leak needs addressing, I have my suspicions that it is the sump gasket. This just unbolts and has easy access. A gasket and filter kit is available from RockAuto for a couple of quid (literally) plus tax and postage. It leaks abut when topped up all seems well with the transmission. 

3. The car is started via a flick switch, you put the key in and turn it but the switch starts the engine. This has over-ridden the usual automatic transmission cut off whilst in gear. I have bought a new barrel which makes things easier but it still needs a fiddle with. I have no idea why it was bypassed. 

4. The boot lock has a piece of key lodged in the barrel. I have tried to remove it but failed, therefore you cannot open the boot lid. The lock will need to be drilled or accessed via the rear seat.

5. The rears transverse spring has fractured. This is made of fibreglass, you can still drive the car but I would highly recommend trailering it. You will struggle to get a fibreglass replacement. I have found a very pleasant and helpful company in Canada who can do a metal replacement for £230 odd pounds delivered. A UK company may well be able to sort something out but I haven't checked. 

6. The bonnet release gubbins in the car is broken. You can still open the bonnet from the front however.

7. The headlining has dropped in a couple of places. It is a 90's car. They all seem to do this. Jag/Saab/Volvo/Oldsmobile.

8. The lacquer has crazed on the boot, roof and part of the bonnet. 

I think that is most of it.

Nothing major in all honesty if you have the time to sort things out.

On a more positive note there is a film guy who is on the look-out for 'ordinary' 1990's US cars. He offered me 200 quid for a weekends use of the car. A couple of those and the car will almost pay for itself. 

There is hopefully something new coming to me car-wise and with the Mondeo, I have no room at the storage unit.

I only want 100 quid for the car as it is. This will include a full set of GM workshop manuals and an owners manual. 

This is bloody cheap and if I had a wee bit more space I would eventually get round to doing the jobs. 

I will get another American car but not for a couple more years.

It drives smoothly but just needs those bits doing. It would only be cheaper if it were free, sadly I can't just give it away. 

Needs to go as soon as please.

Ta

Ken

I wil post some piccies shortly to save people scrolling through pages of stuff. 

Postage from the US can be pricey. I paid £20 postage on a gasket set, and brake discs are quite a bit heavier than gaskets.

Shop around try ebay.com not UK to see if there is any way of getting the discs over cheaper. I think some Ebay sellers do some weird postage from hubs that can work out reasonable.

parts shipping is horrendous from the States, a lot of places charge UPS or nothing which can mean tens of pounds for, say, a set of points in a jiffy bag.

If you have a friend anywhere in the States, it may be worth getting those parts sent to him and getting him to send them to you (that worked out a lot cheaper for some parts for me).

Rock Auto are fairly good for shipping but you have to play mix'n'match with your order. Hard to explain but they keep stuff in several different warehouses so when ordering off their website (which is excellent) keep on eye on the warehouse letter (these are marked A to E from memory) 

USAutomotive in this country are one of the better ones although you have to accept that you are paying fro them to ship the stuff on your behalf. They are extremely knowldegable though.

I wondered what happened to this Olds. I didn't see who got it in the end.

Postage can be a pain, I've ordered stuff before like alternators etc and payed significantly more for the postage than the part. As said though, try shopping around and, try uk based suppliers, you'd be surprised at what they actually do keep on the shelves. I managed to get a full set of brake flexi's for my Mercury from a uk supplier! Kept on the shelf for an unusual 40+ year old car!

It should make a good car once it's sorted though. There's a weird attraction to these sort of 80's/90's yanks, they are unmistakenly american, stand out and yet are suitable to use regularly, unlike some of the bigger, older stuff! I'm tempted to have a look for one myself!

To echo what others have said, try and source the discs locally. I can tell you from experience that shipping by regular U.S. Mail won't result in much of a saving at all. Plus every last one of them that works at my local post office is a fucking moron - I can't wait till they get privatized - the look of disbelief on the faces of the slack jawed yokels will be a sight to behold.

If you think getting parts from the U.S. Is expensive, try getting them from the ukay to the people's republik of kalifornia. Then you'll know real pain.

just a thought, did that motor share it's discs with anything European? I have a vague recollection of fitting a set of Vauxhall Viscount front discs to an Impala once, and no kittens died. A Nun (from Nuneaton) was heard to gasp, though.

if the diameter, thickness and bolt pattern of the disc are right, why not?

For '90s GM stuff, try looking to Europe for parts - a lot of it was sold in Holland, Denmark and Germany, officially - things like Pontiac TransSports and so forth. The parts might be more expensive, but what you want to avoid is the VAT+Duty+meaningless non-optical charge the couriers shove on top for the "helpful service" of collecting that from you.

Another vote for USAutomotive; also Rodley Motors.  This is going to be a nice motor in regular use, I know: I had the equivalent Chevrolet Lumina, same engine and transmission.  Give the trans a good look-over before you try to service it, because I don't think they're designed for DIY servicing.  You may find there isn't a removable sump to it, for example, which will make draining the fluid a pain.  Good luck!

I still have a box full of yank spares here. All kind of 80s-90s GM stuff, including brake pads, shoes, those funny headlight bulbs, etc.

Sparking plugs and stuff too, even filters. Also PAS pipe for 70s-80s GM Mid Size RWD, GM HEI V8 dizzy cap, rotor and AF348 air filter.

I don't have the heart to throw it away. If you would let me know which parts you need (i.e. part #s), I can check whether I is in the have.

Also, the box is available for pick up free of charge.

Thanks J-Man,

Sorry to impose but if you could lob some serial numbers up I can cross reference for fitability to the Olds. Plugs and stuff may be very helpful if they are compatible. 

Thanks again (everyone).

I'll just spend some time going over the car when I get hold of it. A comprehensive list will no doubt follow. 

To echo what others have said, try and source the discs locally. I can tell you from experience that shipping by regular U.S. Mail won't result in much of a saving at all. Plus every last one of them that works at my local post office is a fucking moron - I can't wait till they get privatized - the look of disbelief on the faces of the slack jawed yokels will be a sight to behold.

If you think getting parts from the U.S. Is expensive, try getting them from the ukay to the people's republik of kalifornia. Then you'll know real pain.

Ditto...........but if all else fails send me a PM.

Edit to add that the post office will come to you with a tax bill before they will deliver your stuff too.

Ah, I knew someone had mentioned it and I wasn't going loopy(more)  :lol:

No pressure, if it doesn't have ramp time that is no problem whatsoever.

I'd hate to see you on TV getting tasered or worse. 

AS person on TV, face pixelated and giving the camera the finger  :D

Any idea as to when I should be warming the barn space up? 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm keen to get stuck in to it tbh. A break from the worthy Dolly is not a bad idea.

No pics as yet as she is with Mike (michael1703) of this 'ere forum in Suffolk at the moment until he can get some time/space to waft her over to Essex.

If you ask him nicely he might oblige ;)

If any parts in your car are shared with the Chevrolet Venture and Pontiac Montana/Trans Sport mini vans you might be in luck as this was sold in the UK as the Vauxhall Sintra. Worth checking if the parts are sitting on a Vauxhall warehouse shelf in the UK without mega shipping charges.