Bargainous chod bought. I'm not even calling this a collection thread, it was a mile away....

Spiny Norman

G'day.
As always seems to happen, in the week leading up to me selling the only car I have there's a few likely looking candidates on the Bay and Scumtree, but now I'm sans wheels (and sans the ability to easily waste time checking out lots of potential candidates) there's nothing jumping out at me.

So does anyone have, or know of anything decent in the Central Scotland area (CBA travelling much further from a time or money point of view), preferably under a grand? Open to suggestions but it needs to be newer and more economical than the 1994/20mpg XJ6 I just sold.

I'm looking on all the usual places already so this is a request for a known commodity from a trusted shiter, rather than just posting Ebay/Scumtree adverts.

Anyone got anything? :)

• 2 weeks later...

SVM Fleet Status :

Adrian (rml2345)
1 x 945, "Beeb" Gearbox thinks it's a pot plant

Andy (cms206)

2 x 745 : "Savalas" 1 x Jewish Racing Gold + Blue Sports Tailgate. "Sigmund Cox" 1 x Silver with much peelage
1 x 764, "Boo", Breaking (See News 24 thread) (Still)

1 x 945, "Bertha", ex Mad woman in Perthshire

Dave (davidfowler2000)
1 x 745, Blue, Recently had much coin spent on cosmetics.
1 x 965 Mk1, Grey, As featured recently at Cholmondeleleleylemolestly.

Neil (Creeping Jesus)

1 x 850. The Barry Shitpeas raffletastic flying machine.

1 x V70, red. No longer only EssOrVee-hundred in the SVM.

Richard (Richard)
1 x 850 TD, DIZZLER!!!

Ryan (Voltastic)

1 x S40. much Lux. so SE. very poash. wow.

Anon (Spiney Norman)

1 x V40. Crusty. Third EssOrVee-Hundred in the SVM

SVM Fleet Movements for 2014, Q3

The Barry Shitpeas 850 swapped from cms206 to Creepy Jebus for Andy to clear his feet a bit. It then promptly blew the arse out it's turbo. Wee shame that. Repairs are unknown, car may be binned due to clutch shitness.

The SVM would also like to extend a formal welcome to it's newest member, Voltastic. As stated elsewhere, entry to the SVM requires the owner to have a Volvo and attend an end-of-month face stuffing event with added egg.
Garycox was selling his 740 estate. In true Autoshite fashion, cms206 wangled it so that his boss would pay for it as buying it turned out to be the cheapest way to get Andy home from Southampton after delivering a bus for work. It showed face at Chumlychodfest on the way back to Scotland. It turns out it has rather a thirst for coolant and the pressure under the oil cap was blowing copious oil from out. It took nearly 6 hours to get home from Chumly with much nursing. NOW WITH ADDED MoT!!!

Lastly, Spiney Norman has rekindled his SVM membership with the recent purchase of a spectacularly crusty V40 on a T plate. I'm sure he'll give us a write up soon enough.

---ENDS---

Lastly, Spiney Norman has rekindled his SVM membership with the recent purchase of a spectacularly crusty V40 on a T plate. I'm sure he'll give us a write up soon enough.

Cheers Dave, I was wondering how to do an EPIC COLLEXION FRED for a car that I went to get with the idea that, 'It's a nice evening, I'll start walking and if a bus comes when I'm near the stop I'll jump on'. If it was a mile away from Spiny Spires that's all it was.

Spotted it on Scumtree for bargainous price with 'some cosmetic rust issues' although the owner promised it was solid underneath and had been well looked after apart from the flaky wings & wheelarches. If a car's cheap, basically sound & goes well I can forgive it the odd scab here & there, and it drove well enough so last night I came home with the tattiest Volvo V40 I've ever seen.

No petrol station shot, sorry. Visualise a dark blue & rust coloured V40 in a BP garage and you've pretty much got it. ;)

What I can show you is a shot of it being nobbed up in the local Kosovo car wash this afternoon. Looks OK here, the suds hide the rusty bits perfectly.

IMG_20140912_133612Custom_zpsa458ab72.jp

Suitably shiny I took it home and wondered what to do about the rust holes in the front wings. The wheelarches are a bit scabby but still structurally whole, but I'm not happy driving round in something with actual holes in it, and neither are Plod from what I understand. I pondered the Cataloy option. I'm shit at that kind of thing and it would look crap by the time I'd finished with it, and I'd discovered by that point that new wings are £25 and held on with 8 bolts so if it comes to it and I decide I want to pretty it up a bit at some point it won't break the bank.

Conclusion reached, I Duck taped the fuck out them, giving a rather fetching 'Sporty' look I feel.....

Anyway, this is what it looks like.

DSCF1298aCustom_zps5e1051d8.jpg

DSCF1287aCustom_zps7e49d3d8.jpg

DSCF1278aCustom_zps6c9f73eb.jpg

DSCF1253aCustom_zpsaa825304.jpg

Most of it seems to work, the stereo is good, the aircon blasts cold (always a plus as we head for a Scottish winter) and there are recent bills for 4 new tyres, a cambelt and a clutch. I did 11 town miles in it today, tomorrow I'll find out if it can go at 70, wish me luck. :)

What engine is in this V40, as i find the 1.6 in this one lacking torque ?

It's the 1.6.

I took it out this morning for a blast, just to give it a run & get used to it since I'd only been grubbing round town in it and it actually feels quite sprightly, a lot better than I was expecting from a 1600cc Volvo estate, although yes, you do need to wind it up to make it go. Quite a sweet engine though, and a surprisingly rorty exhaust note, although that may just be the back box which wasn't replaced with the rest of the exhaust system....

It's not a big car or a particularly heavy one either, and the fact that the bodywork's doing its best impression of a 1970s Fiat in dissolving no doubt helps the power-to-weight ratio too, I shall call it the Volvo Superleggera. ;)

So far so good then. I'm heading down to the Lake District in it at the end of the month, so I'll see how it copes with a longer run.

1.6 I'm reliably informed is a derivation of Volvo's own 'whiteblock' engines as used in the S/V/C70 and older 900 I6.

As with most recent cars, the actual oily bits themselves live under a plastic cover so it could be four hamsters on wheels for all I know.

DSCF1264aCustom_zps4711765c.jpg

The Barry Shitpeas 850 swapped from cms206 to Creepy Jebus for Andy to clear his feet a bit. It then promptly blew the arse out it's turbo. Wee shame that. Repairs are unknown, car may be binned due to clutch shitness.

Still waiting for turbot. Bloke in Kent appears to have trouble liberating it from exhaust manifold. Patience wearing thin. Would settle for flounder. Or maybe a nice bit of Dover Sole.

To be fair, I understand his predicament. I'm having trouble liberating the turbo from Raffles The Gentleman Wanker. The heat shield in particular seems to have been designed by M.C.Escher, and the oil and coolant unions have been welded on by My Dark Lord, with a nuclear furnace.

I think the 1.8 were Renault engines too? So you could have a Volvo badged Mitsubishi with a Renault engine. What's not to like?

Pretty sure it's the diesels that are Renault. Nice to see another v40 on here, and not one of those new fangled v40 either, a proper one with shite handbrake and bonnets that don't shut properly. And a permenant 'boot full' stance.

There were two 1.8s as it goes.

1783cc is the Volvo white block and OK.

1834cc is the Mitsubishi GDI and should be avoided.

I have only experience of the non turbo 2 litre, again a Volvo white block. The engine was fine. The rear brakes (sticking calipers) were the main issue. If the handbrake points skyward and doesn't hold the car, you have fun and games ahead!

Also feat. hot alloys and poor mpg.

Yeah, Volvo brake calipers are shite. IIRC a few of the SVM have had seizing calipers on various models of Volvo, it doesn't seem to affect one over another. Both my 240 and C70 suffered from that problem, the C70 to the extent that after a couple of brake applications they just seized on, and the hopelessly gutless engine could barely move the thing at all.

Happily things seem OK in this one, there's activity in the service history folder for new rear discs & pads plus a 'dismantle & clean' of the calipers. No hot wheels and a nice low handbrake which comes on with two fingers.

MPG wise, it doesn't have the trip computer thingy that the posh ones have, but it's already gone further on £20 of juice than the Jag would have managed on £30 worth. We'll see how it goes.

I did discover a really weird fault with it yesterday when I was checking the fluids and generally having a poke about. When you open and close the bonnet it fouls the drivers side wiper arm to the extent that there's paint off bothe the edge of the bonnet and the arm itself. Both the bonnet and the wiper seem to sit in their correct positions so I was pretty stumped until I Googled to see if it was a common problem and apparently it is.

What happens is that over time the black painted aluminium arm heats up and cools down with the sun many thousands of times and eventually warps, raising the wiper arm up half an inch or so over where it should be, thus causing it to contact the bonnet. Weird or what?