Triumph 2000 Project - SOLD

The Moog

So last night Scruff dropped off the Triumph. Was a bit of a struggle as the OSR brake decided to stick on, but he managed to deposit it safely.

First thing this morning i pumped up tyres which makes it look less like it has been dumped.

Neighbours have already made
noises - ladies are horrified, men are pretty impressed :)

First issue is that i need to fit a coil to try and get it running under its own steam to put it in the garage. HBOL doesn't cover it

So how do i wire it in?

post-3994-14009257072_thumb.jpg

post-3994-140092587165_thumb.jpg

post-3994-140092588696_thumb.jpg

It must be in the HBOL, in the wiring diagram. There's only 2 wires, one leading to the dizzy and one coming from the ignition switch. I can't remember which way round they go but you can't do any harm if you get em back to front. It'll defo be in the wiring diagram.

Ah, I see you have that odd metal on Triumphs that cracks. My GT6's sills were made of that. I pointed it out to the seller who said 'No I welded it for its MOT, but I am not very good at welding'. 

Too right you are no good at welding, you can't even tell the difference between a mig welder and a tin of Isopon. 

I bought it anyhow, obviously.

They're wonderful machines, if a bit under geared. I've had two (both mk2s) and loved them both. I worked with a chap who worked on the PI fuel distribution pumps when they were current (it was a glorified Lucas DPA as seen on many a XUD and leyland leopard) and we worked a way of reducing the fuelling to make a 2000 PI version, all built were 2500s. The main problem, he told me, with the 2500 PI apart from the comedy supply pump was fuel starvation due to cavitation in the distribution pump. The cure? A 1.5mm hole drilled in the rotor to let the air bubbles move out the way.

Still to this day, I've never a more lovely sounding car than those.

Yup, that was the main issue. The totally inadequate motor overheated and failed with great regularity. The other issue was akin to fuel starvation and poor starting symptoms. DPAs hate air in the lines. If you've ever run a Lucas CAV pumped diesel out of fuel, they can be a right bastard to bleed and get going again (cue hundreds of people on here saying that they've never had a problem - oh well, I can only go on my own experience)

Due to miserable weather i have been wading through the box of documents that come with it.

One little green book a PO has written notes about everything. Sample quote - car stopped four miles south of Chipping Norton. Diagnosis hairline crack in rotor arm.

Also some period adverts

post-3994-140095977562_thumb.jpg

post-3994-140095979044_thumb.jpg

I bought it from a chap near Sedburgh in spring 2012 and ran it as my daily for 8 months. Had to mothball due to rust when mot time came up. Plan was to restore it in business but a change in market focus made it redundant. I'm glad Will has taken it in as it is a very nice car to drive and the straight six with the overdrive is a wonderful engine in good condition. I prefer the twin carb 2000 to the 2500 it just feels a bit more elegant on the road...just personal preference. Anyway best of luck with it Will

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Put the battery on charge tonight and fitted the coil. Ordered set of spark plugs and leads as well as an acu spark because I am not used to points.

Cleaned out fuel filter, it was only a little gunky.

I need to get the car running to lob it in the garage and out of the way.

Had a small poke at sills and it showered orange. Drivers side outer one is split to about half way down. All the ends of the sills are pretty much missing.

At the moment it feels like a pretty big task. Currently looking for a days welding intro course so i can learn.

Once I get it into the garage i will do some photos for you all.

One question i had is whether i should be saving my pennies for replacement sills? Or is there cheaper way to fix them

Be very interested to see how you get on finding and doing a day's welding course.  I had a look down here and couldn't find anything less than a two year NVQ thingy, but surely that can't be right.  

Otherwise we could just go and camp out on Philibusmo's drive one sunny afternoon while he tackles the rear wings on the Y10 ;-)

I'd go replacement on the sills and patch the floors. The sills would be tricky to fabricate having worked on Bills ones it is the one panel I would definitely buy..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I would do a course just so somebody more experienced can tell you where you are going wrong - please bear in mind it used to take 3 years to serve your time as a welder.

You can practice in terms of patching etc. however you may need more than that if you want to replace the sills - you want it to look tidy and you dont want a call from the tester to say your new sills have come adrift!

Many moons ago a local SD1 club member fitted a new wing to his SD1 despite having no experience welding and being advised not to - he thought he had done a good job until a set of ladders fell on it and the wing came off.

Do a short course and you won't look back.

I hope it all works out for you welding up the old girl mine needed new inner and out sills plus repairs to the floors back in 1987 (it looked solid on top apart from the front wheel arches) and it was hard back then when the car was 12 years old to find solid metal underneath.

Also I remember the front wheel arches on mine had been gobbed up badly and I looked at buying new wings but the price was a kings ransom but there were repair arches available but I don't know if you can still get them.

There's not a saloon car that looks as good as the Triumph 2000/2500 and the straight 6 engine sounds fantastic and I always wanted a 2500s (never the pi) in burgundy with the stag type alloys and a gold laurel on the bonnet

This and the rover P6 were in my opinion were the best looking saloons of the 70s back in the day..