One (shite) picture per post.

mk1_4dr

5 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

That truck is not something I recognize, what is it?

It's a Robur, made in Zittau, DDR. They were very popular in the Comecon region and were exported to developing markets. Not sure if any were sold in Western Europe. They were powered by air cooled diesel engines.

https://wp.ifaclub.co.uk/the-vehicles/robur/

On 4/16/2023 at 12:16 AM, High Jetter said:

I don't think I've ever seen a Bristol with an Eastbourne reg before. Never had a dealer round here, and the plates don't look quite right?

19 hours ago, martc said:

As far as I know there was only one Bristol dealer - on Kennsington High Road in that there London.

I would be prepared to bet that the plates on the car above are cheap personalised ones @LightBulbFun may be able to confirm, the original number being issued in London.

18 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

registration mark looks to be genuine period issue to that car, not a private plate, someone has declared manufactured it 1980, I guess for historic vehicle tax reasons

but may imply if it really is from 1980, that it sat around for a fair while before being registered in August 1981? maybe it did a bit of a tour for one reason or another before being registered hence the out of normal location registration mark?

I think the car had a personalised plate put on when new, and then when it changed hands it had the Hastings plate attached to it. Possible the original buyer kept the car for just one year, took their personalised plate off,  and the Bristol was issued with a new X-reg plate. As the car did not have an original number to revert to it was issued a new number. At the time cars that were reregistered did not get age related plates.

48 minutes ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

I think the car had a personalised plate put on when new, and then when it changed hands it had the Hastings plate attached to it. Possible the original buyer kept the car for just one year, took their personalised plate off,  and the Bristol was issued with a new X-reg plate. As the car did not have an original number to revert to it was issued a new number. At the time cars that were reregistered did not get age related plates.

nah its not that :) 

age related plates very much existed back then and have always existed, just that the policy on how they where issued was quite different to how they are issued today 

however its always been the case (apart from the Late 70s-late 80's with the DVLC A suffix shenanigans but thats its own thing) that when a number was transferred off a car, a suitable age related plate was issued in its place, thats the one bit of policy thats always been the same

some of the age related suffix-less plates issued by County councils in the mid to late 70's where often more valuable then the plate being taken off the car! as often times all a county council would have left, where 4 digit 2 letter or even 4 digit 1 letter marks! 

further to this as mentioned its only fairly recently been declared manufactured 1980, previous records show it as simply registered new in 1981 and manufactured then

its probably just whoever bought it new, registered it themselves with their local DVLC office, rather then getting the dealer to do it

it also had the same 1st keeper until 1998, so again, I dont think its a case of a first owner taking off a private plate and an age related/replacement plate being issued in its place, if that was the case, it would of had a 1998 issue age related X suffix plate, which again it does not have

so yeah again I still think that, its wearing its original registration mark still