F1 drivers Rover 620i to be raced. *NOW WITH YOUTUBE THING*

motorpunk

Just be careful with roll cages - check what you are buying meets the specification requirements for the race series carefully before committing to one.

A lot of the bolt in cages won't meet the necessary SFI/FIA regs for competition - and different race series/governing bodies will have different requirements.

• motorpunk changed the title to F1 drivers Rover 620i to be raced. *Sat March 9th in MK spannering?*

Any shiters near Milton Keynes on Saturday morning 9th March? We’re fitting new brakes, PAS pipes, and giving the car a once over. Any help would be massively appreciated. Free coffee and doughnuts. It’s at a proper garage on ramps etc. 

• motorpunk changed the title to F1 drivers Rover 620i to be raced. - TEAM THEME?
2 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

'Twas brillig

just in case anyone else wondered what the QR code was.

QR code is a generic image I nicked off the net! It’ll be a link to a webpage which would then explain the history of the car and it’s famous previous owner and what we’re doing, as the sight of this rolling on American roads will undoubtedly create questions! 👍🏼

Radical and unpopular suggestion, leave it as it was when he actually drove it. Put a nice sheet laminated poster in the window with all the info for when its parked up,  job done.

I mean, why would you want it to look different to when he actually drove it? (or is that just me)

4 hours ago, Stinkwheel said:

Radical and unpopular suggestion, leave it as it was when he actually drove it. Put a nice sheet laminated poster in the window with all the info for when its parked up,  job done.

I mean, why would you want it to look different to when he actually drove it? (or is that just me)

It’s going to do LeMons in the USA. It needs some sort of livery.

I've been following Lemons for a long time and I agree that this thing is something the judges would say the car itself is a theme. It's a car never sold in the US from a defunct brand not known for reliability and with interesting background. It doesn't really need a theme, although having one could only elevates it further, of course.

They keep banging on about the best theme being something that only one person in the paddock would get, so IMHO 1 and 3 is too obvious, I'd go with 2.

18 hours ago, Conan said:

They keep banging on about the best theme being something that only one person in the paddock would get, so IMHO 1 is  too obvious,

Thanks. Bit of an edit from me in the quote. Who here knows who Slim Borgudd was? Who in America would know? I think that’s pretty obscure enough myself. 😎

Thanks for the comments all.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. Same year and interior as mine (mines the sporty 130bhp Si model).

All pretty standard issues they all suffer with there. PAS leak will be the oil cooler behind the bumper. Mines on its second set now. Pipes from contemporary Honda Accord are much beefier and I liberated a near perfect set from a scrapyard a while ago which I’m keeping for when mine starts leaking again.

I had to repair one arch on mine, I spent ages getting it just right but it did need work behind the sill cover too. Strangely the other side was perfect.

They are absolutely brilliant, completely underrated and very rare cars nowadays. I find mine very comfortable to drive and faultlessly reliable. 

Another vote for keeping it original, covering it with tat would totally spoil it imo.

2 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

Nice. Same year and interior as mine (mines the sporty 130bhp Si model).

All pretty standard issues they all suffer with there. PAS leak will be the oil cooler behind the bumper. Mines on its second set now. Pipes from contemporary Honda Accord are much beefier and I liberated a near perfect set from a scrapyard a while ago which I’m keeping for when mine starts leaking again.

I had to repair one arch on mine, I spent ages getting it just right but it did need work behind the sill cover too. Strangely the other side was perfect.

They are absolutely brilliant, completely underrated and very rare cars nowadays. I find mine very comfortable to drive and faultlessly reliable. 

Another vote for keeping it original, covering it with tat would totally spoil it imo.

We briefly had one flit through as a cheap answer to a problem. Very much more than the sum of its parts. Some cheapness (buttons came off stereo and went up hoover whilst cleaning, slats fell out of grill). But the ride, the way it drove, lovely thing. If a standard one was that good, an Si yours or the holy grail Ti like @fatharris I would imagine to be a nice place to be.