Jaguar S Bype R - An Imposter, saving a bird, and that effin supercharger!

Crispian_J_Hotson

You've been busy @Crispian_J_Hotson. From the frivolous spend on new parts, plus the time required to fit them, I'm assuming you must be a multi-millionaire with no dependents and an infinite amount of time on your hands.

The diesel filler is genius, well done. I'm surprised there isn't a write up about that workaround in S-Type R Webforum Nerd Site. 

Sooner or later (spoiler: sooner) I will be tackling the tank in my Maestro, which also has a rust-prone filler neck that almost certainly needs attention. This thread gives me the inspiration needed to cobble together something made from gutter pipe and cable ties. 

Just caught up on this. Kudos to you for going balls deep on this thing. I think it'll be pretty epic when done. 

How many sleepless nights have you had trawling the internet for info/parts?

I may* have had that pleasure on several occasions. Sometimes that's the hardest bit, actually getting stuck in to fixing the car is easy after that. Sometimes...

I'd say when hunting for bits, there's a few hours involved, it seems mainly due to superceded parts or suppliers asking out of this world prices... And that's just the OEM kit. Aftermarket is another story, after 2 hours, I can have 20 internetting tabs open, comparing images, searching old threads, potential suppliers. It's a bit like when i had the 635, outside of normal maintenance and common issues, it was barren.  That car was a pain in the arse for the out of the ordinary parts. Utter unobtainium, at least with this there are several common incarnations.

This means that dedicated forums are only good to a point, beyond that, you're on your own. The other frustrating thing is, like the BM, all the used bits in this country are usually only slightly better than what I'm throwing in the bin, in the States they can be mint, but then there is the price to get it over here plus jag tax.

Edit, I should give Autoreserve a shout here, on more than one occasion I've exhausted all avenues and ended up with them providing the best part and at realistic prices, and it arrives fast .

I don't owe anything to anyone and I make hay whilst the sun shines. The missis and the kids get what they want and I get what I want, and at the moment, it's building this car but I've got to admit, the diff is gonna be a killer cost. Ultimately I want to drag the car around a few tracks and see where that goes. 

I suppose the drive to do it comes from growing up with all my pals having turbos and Cosworths, and I could never afford it. Trying to make a 1L polo keep up with a Renner turbot or a 1900gti, lets face it, is never going to happen. I managed to get an rs1600i but that was a wreckage of a car which repeatedly tried to kill itself and everyone in it.

Of course, being somewhere a little bit on the infamous spectrum always helps...

It's funny, isn't it - this drive and desire to 'make cars great again'. Trust me I've fully got it too, and if I hadn't then my family and I could be going somewhere exciting on holiday instead of a bargain basement last minute deal. 

To me, £100 spent on a Maestro door is infinitely more satisfying than £100 spent at Thomas Cook where £75 of that goes to middle men in the tourism industry. My family won't thank me for taking this attitude but as you say, they are fed, clothed and housed well. 

My 'killer cost' was the bodywork and paint which put me beyond the realms of 'fixing up an old motor' into 'I am no longer keeping tabs of what I'm spending' territory. Maybe by the end of the summer I'll have a respectable, reliable MG Maestro but the economics just don't add up, especially if I wanted to account for my labour. I'm probably £4500 in the hole now for a car that might, could, maybe fetch £5k on a good day. 

I've kind of given up hoping for cost effective builds. Pretty much every car I've ever had has lost, probably because I choose shit cars no one wants. The only car I ever earned on was a Sierra with an insurance pay out!

This car has some ounce of want in the general public, still marmite as fcuk though. I have kind of made it my mission to turn it into the car Ford should have released if they didn't have Aston at the same time, by undoing all the dumbing down and cost cutting. The want was, and still is, high for the early STR, and I had to jump to get it, so it's a bit of a trophy at the moment.

with regard to the Black one you're breaking, Disco 3 owners love the Stype engines as they don't have such a hard time dragging a brick shaped 2.5 tonnes about...... think the going price is north of £1500 

19 minutes ago, bezzabsa said:

with regard to the Black one you're breaking, Disco 3 owners love the Stype engines as they don't have such a hard time dragging a brick shaped 2.5 tonnes about...... think the going price is north of £1500 

I thought that it was just the 2.7 2T Diesel they so desired? 3L Engine in the black car is a peach of a unit. I have not heard of this requirement from the drivers of bricks.

15 hours ago, Crispian_J_Hotson said:

I thought that it was just the 2.7 2T Diesel they so desired? 3L Engine in the black car is a peach of a unit. I have not heard of this requirement from the drivers of bricks.

Yeah, I don't think that Discovery drivers particularly want 3.0 petrol S-Type engines

Some MX-5 owners want them for Rocketeer conversions, but that's a pretty small market

Manual gearboxes from diesel S-Types are desirable for doing manual conversions on various Jaguar R models. XJR, XKR, S-Type R 

Today I got home from work and found that the missis had taken the Diesel with the er... aerosol lid fuel cap. It is vented because I had to cut a slit in it to make it fit.

The replacement is due in tomorrow.

With these facts in hand, I went and cleaned and modified* my newly acquired cap. It now looks nothing like a Diesel filler cap.

IMG_20230711_191609496h.thumb.jpg.f9f6945fa5aa4755caa68bb721776933.jpg

That should fool the purists.

The doozil now has it's cap. I've had enough with diesels and caps now to last me 3 weeks at least. Moving on...

I received 4 of these.

16891830628305370398632036336400.thumb.jpg.dd56457b83c3afe0efe21758747cdcfb.jpg

These will signify the death of the black car as these will enable me to shove it around in the smoll garage and remove basically everything that's bolted to it. I think the prize at the moment is the rear subframe. Once that's off it'll be on blocks on these skates so it can be recovered out of the garage. Good plan.

This turned up today... that's massive... she said:

IMG_20230713_165411477_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpg.4e8b3fd623c5f41450a0e8ca9d1ef512.jpg

Caldoooofy pipe arrived!

IMG_20230713_165429626.thumb.jpg.8d06b6c452db75c60d5850c7b2b7d194.jpg

Apparently, there is magic contained within.

Without a thought for feeding the cats or getting the washing in, I went and immediately fitted it...

IMG_20230713_174307653.thumb.jpg.111c0d0ffef20989ed9061d8f8d753a8.jpg

OK, some of the excess plumbing can do with a trim but that'll come later. It is a effing tight fit. What does this pipe do then? Well, after starting the engine, it 'enhances' basically everything, and that's cool.

It has gone from sounding like a Gentlemans discrete private fancy to all out hooligan, and that is just on idle! Revving it, the sound has also gone deeper and more USA V8. There is significant difference and you can tell because now it's rattling something in my CAT, a noise never heard before. They are destined for the bin anyway. It's hard to believe how an pipe has had such a dramatic effect.

The missis arrived home and I got 'the look' for fiddling with the car outside of my authorised time slot and without permissionso I finished the install and put the old intake in the boot. The test drive will be tomorrow on the way to work where I'm expecting results and an engine management light.

A fault was also discovered which I will get onto later.

• Crispian_J_Hotson changed the title to Jaguar S Bype R. Cool Uprated Noise Tube... Added.

Yeah... naa...

My suspicions that something wasn't right with the high intake air temp were correct. Me flap is always open on the secondary air intake. This is due to a busted return spring which has long since returned to nature.

IMG_20230713_172750735.thumb.jpg.82382efa25ae3ae2573934d98fd54493.jpg

Although that solenoid (bigger rusty thing) appears to still be working, as a clean contact mark from the push rod can be seen in the dirt on the flap. So today I found something similar to that spring and when it arrives, I'll see if I can put it right. The main intake wasn't connected into the air box at all either and this would probably be the main issue for the high temps as it was pulling air straight from the engine bay mixed with ambient air. That bit is fixed.

I'm going to get a live data reading and look for improvements later today. 

The drive in this morning with the new intake pipe was faultless, no warning lights, no hissy fits, just lots of good noises... so I do believe that a thing has been done! I'll be keeping the old intake as this level of hooligan is not to everyone's taste.

Now I need to continue gathering consumables for the top end rebuild and some other stupidly priced smoll bits, and then set aside some funds for the supercharger rebuild and mod and... the head work!

In other news: Tracking information revels that the... lets call it infotainment, has been delivered to JagDroid, and I haven't received any news that it is exploded or crushed to death, so I imagine it's now in line to have it's brains er... re-brained?

8 hours ago, Crispian_J_Hotson said:

The drive in this morning with the new intake pipe was faultless, no warning lights, no hissy fits, just lots of good noises... so I do believe that a thing has been done! I'll be keeping the old intake as this level of hooligan is not to everyone's taste.

SSSHHHHHHH!!! It’ll already be plotting its revenge for such a statement 

THAT'S MASSIVE... she said again...

New rad turned up buoys and it's a cracker!

1600366431_IMG_20230717_1802460882.thumb.jpg.6da701743eb6b13e1dfe1634cc3362a3.jpg

Considering it's come from Checzolvazia  Ch Czek CH...   Czechoslovakia it is completely damage free! It is big, so I reckon it'll be a snug fit. I've got de-ionized water coming for the cooling system which I already get for my Carnivorous plants, so just doubled up on my monthly consumption. Just hope 25L will be enough looking at the size of it 😁

I have to admit it, I splurged. I bought an unnecessary luxury for it but it was 7£ well spent I reckon.

1972773627_IMG_20230717_1840421542.thumb.jpg.3f1492d62e3445f4a5dd58e0a096ff58.jpg

A bit like  Maserati gold plated clocks, the R gear knob is a prize theft and quick nik. Mine had been professionally* removed by A N Other and something from a lesser model put in it's place. It's the same thing but has a little plastic R inset into it and that's worth another 40£ on top in ebay land apparently.

It was one of those that only went tight if it wasn't straight and I didn't get on with that or the fact that it was subject to crime, so outed it. My shifts are much quicker now and I can change from P to D in 00.01 seconds faster than before! I may get it lower a bit but I threw it on after work so I could bin the other thing.

The other advantage is that I can retrieve CDs from the player when it's in Park, something which is more of a fudge than it should be with the original.

I also have a used replacement Jaguar DCCV (heater mix valve) delivered at the neighbours. According to other experiences, the cheap versions are a let down, the new OE ones are about 300£, so I'll chance my arm on a OE used. It might last 10 minutes or 10 years who knows? Autoreserve stick a warranty on the parts, so it should work for 12 months!

The Black car has been put on the skates and 100£ worth of parts were removed from the drivers door, including the check strap which went on the Diesel.

The Caldoofy intake is doing it's thing and head turns are up 32% despite the manifold blow, the supercharger noise is drowning that out a lot.

And finally...

A second tank of fuel was got and was a total success with no leaks!

• Crispian_J_Hotson changed the title to Jaguar S Bype R - A massive Rad and a tiny Nob.

This weekend, I was mainly messing with the air intake. This needed sorting asap!

IMG_20230713_172740945.thumb.jpg.f718097b12aa54c3d2281fdd013d5fd0.jpg

I set to it. That solenoid would not move for toffee and stuff was beginning to break so I had to cut it out from the other side.

IMG_20230722_134257179.thumb.jpg.75ec1a28b85ec02b708b0857eb8fbb06.jpg

Some scraping and chiseling away revealed potential.

IMG_20230722_140649748_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpg.067591e4f0fcfd02d926d2e38a4bff1a.jpg

I wired it up to a battery and it was still operating despite it's fucked condition. So it got a lick of paint.

Then I had to disassemble the flap part of the airbox by drilling out the rotten retaining screw securing a hinge made from premium plastic.

With that out, I could clean the life out of everything and get bending on my replacement spring which was slightly bigger but would work. I could then lube up and re-secure the flap bit with a stainless item.

IMG_20230723_120602870.thumb.jpg.ac69c3a22f0831990356a1a9a84df7b1.jpg

The solenoid was fitted and the operation checked... we all know that this is the bit when things that worked, stop working... for no reason whatsoever! Please enjoy the following presentation:

That's all that thing does, but mine being open the whole time caused it to suck in engine temp air and that is bad for performance.

Speaking of which, I jumped on the heat tape train and smothered all the intake in silver stuff. These engines in particular are known for their heat soaking so we need to help it out a bit.

IMG_20230723_142821247.thumb.jpg.799360ad7ac7bdad270119ae10e9f768.jpg

That all took way longer than I cared for but it's done now... until it falls off. Then I could struggle and wrestle with fitting it back in the engine bay.

IMG_20230723_154458935.thumb.jpg.0c789c9f1974ebb31dcd79d6587b869f.jpg

It was a lot of messing around for very little gain but necessary I suppose. Upon starting the car, I could hear that it had gained several horses and see the air was colder... no, total bullshit. Nice to tick that area off the list of unknowns and have the knowledge that it's all doing what it should be doing... and it's clean.

Looking ahead, there is an upgrade to the water pump for the supercharge cooler, some Merc thing, but I found a pump by AVT that specifies this engine, they also upgrade the Merc too, so it made sense to get that for when I get this engine tore apart. I've had enough of messing with this and I'm just going to drive it for a few weeks before it comes off the road. I've still consumables to get and Jagdroid has been in touch to confirm receipt of my screen, so that's cool.

• Crispian_J_Hotson changed the title to Jaguar S Bype R - Intake air temp reduction attempt #1...

It's happened. JagDroid has been installed.

This has been on my list of wants for a while. For those who don't know, in a nutshell, a bloke takes the old touchscreen unit which support stopped for in 2012 and throws the old TV gubbins in the bin, he then sticks in a new touchscreen powered by ODroid and integrates it with the stock controls. In doing that, it gives all the connectivity, WiFi, Blootoofs, and brings it all up to date.

I needed this in my life because of my wide range of music taste means I'd need a CD autochanger that holds 253 CD's at a time.

IMG_20230730_095818997_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpg.3c5df89ade2d508ee3f8df915f16ecbc.jpg

I got a temp unit to install whist the main unit was away being upgraded, It was time to rip that out.

IMG_20230730_104949866.thumb.jpg.b6d8e6ea0d1185788a513bf452352661.jpg

BYE.

Then the new unit and the one original to the car, could be installed...

IMG_20230730_112903027.thumb.jpg.e5ac00bbc285ff2fb8d007f4f62ce7c9.jpg

The start up screen for entering the PIN is the same as usual. One wiring mod was required into the interior light in the footwell. This is a signal switch for the unit to power down. A lick of solder on that and she was good to go.

IMG_20230730_112911044.thumb.jpg.74ca752b31254c977892c47145e12108.jpg

Everything else was supplied in the kit and plugged together, leaving this nest of wiring...

IMG_20230730_112906303.thumb.jpg.1c707069644d2f4cc0517ed666869ffb.jpg

That is the brain of the operation and could be tidied up, space was available under the frame of the dash to mount it. I used super sticky velcro in case it ever needs to come out again!

I put the code in and immediately set to downloading Youtube and connecting it to my account. I was presented with this spooky face but it was just the first vid I played.

IMG_20230730_114653478.thumb.jpg.4d80811308b272935bebba2cc51a9ab0.jpg

Test over and nothing blew up, I played about with it. Got a cool background for the time being and a bit of inspiration...

IMG_20230730_132855208.thumb.jpg.a47d3dd5c9828c691543ddacb7be7fd0.jpg

Then I tested the sound and toons which is probably the whole main reason for installing this!

Then it rained- hard, whilst I messed with the steering controls, but it works and is freaking awesome...

I've still got maps to play with which is the second reason. Bluetooth works directly but the sound, as usual is degraded, this aint going to sort that out but anything i need to BT to it can be found on the web and various apps. Very pleased with this and well worth it if like me, you need your music!

• Crispian_J_Hotson changed the title to Jaguar S Bype R - JagDroid installed... it's EPIC!

Dangit rear tyre is exiting being a tyre. This was one of the few good bits left when I got the car dumped to me. I went to the Pod of Santas on Saturday to watch american shite increase global warming and checked all the tyres and pressures (on my car), like I do, before setting off on any excursion carrying my family. The valve on this rear wheel stuck open when I took off the inflator. A bit of poking and it sealed again, but it was a sign that things had had enough.

The Pilot sport is from 2015 and is very meaty, the other side tyre I replaced with a pilot 4 a couple of months ago as the old one was down to the bars, you know, where it's been sat around, and every time someones 'had a go' they've performed the coveted one wheel peel.

Here is what this existing tyre is telling me:

IMG_20230802_091111199.thumb.jpg.41ddc3ff7d77c58dafcffd9bc3120331.jpg

There are fine cracks appearing to the sidewall ^

IMG_20230802_084913058.thumb.jpg.c272ee7efb2ffed1dee2b3bcc633d5ce.jpg

Yeah. The compound is also rock hard. ^

Now, I've run worse on smaller engined cars and I think that the old 15513 MXT's on my 1st polo outlived the car, but this is a +100mph hypercar*. In my experience of life, when rubber under pressure gets like this, whether it be tyres, seals, fittings, etc and a certain condition is met, it can let go. Reluctantly, I'm going to have to change it now.

So, finding out that the retail price for the 275/35 18Y pilot 4 has risen by 20£ in the last month, I'm getting it changed on Saturday. I'm also paying for tyre disposal, although I will be retaining this for a get out of jail free for when such a time occurs that I fall on my arse again, unemployed and skint, 1 week before MOT, and have 1 baldish rear tyre... We can get some shoe polish on those cracks and make it brand new again!

• Crispian_J_Hotson changed the title to Jaguar S Bype R - Ye olde tyre is actually old.
  • 1 month later...

1-MONTH-LATER....

This car is now sadly off the road. I took it to see shed fest at the British motor museum some weeks back and on the way there I decided that it's time has come. 

I am currently 9/16ths of the way through the engine repair. It started, it's a thing, shit just got serious, and there are many, many parts everywhere!

Over the next few days I will attempt to get the report up to date as due to absolutely mental time constraints, I have neglected my forum member duties. 

If you want to see a bloke enter blindly into the unknown, throw more money at a lump of metal, and turn an injured turd into the fire breathing beast it should be, then I'm sure there is a you tube for that, alternatively you can read this thread whilst taking a poo about a bloke tackling the big, 'scary' jag engine.

• Crispian_J_Hotson changed the title to Jaguar S Bype R - It's dead... Because I killed it... Deliberately.
23 minutes ago, Crispian_J_Hotson said:

1-MONTH-LATER....

This car is now sadly off the road. I took it to see shed fest at the British motor museum some weeks back and on the way there I decided that it's time has come. 

I am currently 9/16ths of the way through the engine repair. It started, it's a thing, shit just got serious, and there are many, many parts everywhere!

Over the next few days I will attempt to get the report up to date as due to absolutely mental time constraints, I have neglected my forum member duties. 

If you want to see a bloke enter blindly into the unknown, throw more money at a lump of metal, and turn an injured turd into the fire breathing beast it should be, then I'm sure there is a you tube for that, alternatively you can read this thread whilst taking a poo about a bloke tackling the big, 'scary' jag engine.

Thoughts & prayers. 

It was due. I had planned to strip down the problematic engine at August end. I was however, very reluctant to do it as it meant the car being immobilised for some time. It wasn't totally broken and worked fairly well, but...

I was motoring along the A14 with the sunroof open and was accompanied by the occasional rancid stench of rich exhaust fumes. A reminder that the emission components on the car had been brutally attacked over the last few years in a bid to keep the light off.

A strip down would mean that parts could be repaired and uprated. So, over the last few months I had been accumulating  all the parts to get the engine at a stage where it was better and I know what's going on with it, there were too many unknowns.

This work all came from a blow on the Exhaust manifold and further inspection with a endoscope revealed that there was a snapped stud and bodged fixings. The only problem was that the manifold was pretty much inaccessible and removing a snapped stud impossible. Head off was the only answer.

Join me, as I embark on the journey of unknowns.

I am at a stage where I have completed a lot of the strip down, I think I started it 5 days ago in the rain, with a plan back then to throw everything into it... but the law of sod saw end to that and despite the fortunate weather for once, my partner has fallen ill and is stuck laid up leaving me to single parent 3 kids and do doctor runs. It's a bit of a nightmare as this engine requires a few tools and is filthy, so I'm having about 3 showers a day to go back and fourth doing stuff and I'm losing about 4 hours a day on it. I can't leave the build as I've taken time off to do it and will need the car for when I return. So, it's a bit challenge Anneka. But Challenge is actually my middle name!

As I have images of the various stages of strip down, wouldn't it be fun* to series them? Here we go then in a world first...

Beauty covers, scuttle, and cross brace off...

IMG_20230829_143102100.thumb.jpg.f9679b892e983746971d989c5d62f480.jpg

Intake system, belts and pulleys off...

IMG_20230830_115002473.thumb.jpg.9f46fdf1af80217820093046177e4437.jpg

EGR, remaining throttle body parts, and supercharger off...

IMG_20230831_142133195_HDR.thumb.jpg.b8e71d784ef0b4eacdecad450d930b00.jpg

Water to air coolers and injection off...

IMG_20230831_153231559.thumb.jpg.072659b00f94b0676c0ce1d89ac6a33d.jpg

More plugs and mounts off and degreasing...

IMG_20230831_162348006.thumb.jpg.209a6615c18fe4f090bad57c923f14d8.jpg

Crank pulley off...

IMG_20230902_161623324.thumb.jpg.1bb2e5037cb41ecf0d77e61b47c03e37.jpg

Timing cover off...

IMG_20230903_122656731.thumb.jpg.1045cad47ca038e2c42657f5b6ad017c.jpg

Timing locked and gear off...

IMG_20230905_134851552.thumb.jpg.86548859b2f6892ed0161f95053a18d7.jpg

Cams out...

IMG_20230906_103502544.thumb.jpg.244bfc9f9fbc562000d688b075729851.jpg

Heads off...

IMG_20230906_115333599.thumb.jpg.a8253fc8f335907367876854f421543c.jpg

BOOM! I AM THE BOSS OF YOU!

It wasn't bad at all and I hope you all know where the bits go because I have no idea. Now I have a shed full, and I mean full, of parts that need cleaning, repairing and painting. I found that asshats had been at the EGR valve and throttle wiring as well as elsewhere, but thankfully no-one has been inside the engine. I will, in my next post display the highlights and lowlights of this operation so far... I need to go boil spaghetti now.

I'm at a similar level of OMG PARTS EVERYWHERE with my Maestro. And strategically timing work to happen when it isn't a billionty degrees on the drive. Of course my Maestro isn't a thoroughbred racing car like yours, but on the other hand if I break something it's GAME OVER as parts are generally NLA. 

Sorry to hear about Mrs Hotson, I hope she feels better soon allowing you to unfuck the previous ape's "repairs".