JJ0063’s current steed - Life of an impulsive car owner [N47 CHAIN GANG]

JJ0063

Right looks like we’re sacking those wheels off and starting again. 

Very strange trying to buy them..

I see the advert for them, have 4 or 5 quick fire messages with instant replies asking for the postcode, some details of tyres etc all fine. Say yes I’ll have them for the asking price and ask if Saturday morning is OK, says yes perfect and gives me his number

Text to ask a time on Saturday, no reply, leave it 7 hours and text again saying I really need to know if early - 8am ish is OK as I need to book the morning off work. No reply for a few more hours then messages me saying don’t book anything off work he will let me know tomorrow (today) if I can come 

Nothing, message him again saying what’s happening, replies saying he will let me know by lunchtime - nothing, he’s listed more wheels since but is now completely ignoring me - he’s well known on the BMW groups so isn’t a scammer, just can’t quite work out what the issue is.. I’ve not knocked him down, not asked loads of questions, not tried to get him to deliver or anything, have said if my suggested time is no good then let me know when is. 

I give up, so many time wasters on FB, back to the drawing board!

7 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Right looks like we’re sacking those wheels off and starting again. 

Very strange trying to buy them..

I see the advert for them, have 4 or 5 quick fire messages with instant replies asking for the postcode, some details of tyres etc all fine. Say yes I’ll have them for the asking price and ask if Saturday morning is OK, says yes perfect and gives me his number

Text to ask a time on Saturday, no reply, leave it 7 hours and text again saying I really need to know if early - 8am ish is OK as I need to book the morning off work. No reply for a few more hours then messages me saying don’t book anything off work he will let me know tomorrow (today) if I can come 

Nothing, message him again saying what’s happening, replies saying he will let me know by lunchtime - nothing, he’s listed more wheels since but is now completely ignoring me - he’s well known on the BMW groups so isn’t a scammer, just can’t quite work out what the issue is.. I’ve not knocked him down, not asked loads of questions, not tried to get him to deliver or anything, have said if my suggested time is no good then let me know when is. 

I give up, so many time wasters on FB, back to the drawing board!

I often see this when they're trying to do some sort of big multi swap, they'll create a chain and agree to swap one set they have for a set that someone else has. They then list someone else's for sale and then if/when they get a sale they'll go back with their wheels and arrange to swap. 

It doesn't make any sense to me either, but predictably the chain collapses in most cases and it just means it's a massive waste of time for everyone involved and it's probably why you got the "I'll let you know" treatment. 

A friend of mine was trying to sell his Civic recently, he got offered an Audi A3 to swap. 

By pure coincidence, a friend of his was selling his Mondeo at the same time. The same "buyer" offered the Audi to him as well. 

Friend 2 agrees to swap with the Audi, then the "buyer" goes back to Friend 1 offering him the Mondeo which he hasn't even seen or picked up yet.. 

It was completely coincidental but my friend realized what was going on when his friends Mondeo has just been offered to him, he then messaged his friend to ask if he's been offered an Audi 😆

Are you still with me? 🤣

So buyer starts with the Audi. He gets the Mondeo. He then swaps Mondeo for the Civic and ends up with the MK8 Civic when he only had a shitty old A3 to begin with! 

Call it trading up if you will, but it's a really confusing way of doing things!

9 minutes ago, EspenO said:

X5 alloys will be heavy AF though? I’ve got the same M225 ones as you, definitely another vote for some bead sealer :) 

I only checked the rears as they’re the widest, MV4’s I have now are 15kg, X5 style 132’s are 16kg so really not that much in it! 

Im pretty set on changing wheels as my current ones not only leak but also are pretty chipped and the brand new set of rainsports I sold it on have one front one rear replaced with budgets.

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I often see this when they're trying to do some sort of big multi swap, they'll create a chain and agree to swap one set they have for a set that someone else has. They then list someone else's for sale and then if/when they get a sale they'll go back with their wheels and arrange to swap. 

It doesn't make any sense to me either, but predictably the chain collapses in most cases and it just means it's a massive waste of time for everyone involved and it's probably why you got the "I'll let you know" treatment. 

A friend of mine was trying to sell his Civic recently, he got offered an Audi A3 to swap. 

By pure coincidence, a friend of his was selling his Mondeo at the same time. The same "buyer" offered the Audi to him as well. 

Friend 2 agrees to swap with the Audi, then the "buyer" goes back to Friend 1 offering him the Mondeo which he hasn't even seen or picked up yet.. 

It was completely coincidental but my friend realized what was going on when his friends Mondeo has just been offered to him, he then messaged his friend to ask if he's been offered an Audi 😆

Are you still with me? 🤣

So buyer starts with the Audi. He gets the Mondeo. He then swaps Mondeo for the Civic and ends up with the MK8 Civic when he only had a shitty old A3 to begin with! 

Call it trading up if you will, but it's a really confusing way of doing things!

I imagine you’re probably right!

I text him at 9ish tonight saying to forget it as he’s clearly another timewaster, got a reply at half 10 saying sorry he’s been out with his kids and just got home, long story about the wheels and can he ring me

I just replied saying unless they’re still for sale, don’t waste any more of my time 

no reply yet 😂

4 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I imagine you’re probably right!

I text him at 9ish tonight saying to forget it as he’s clearly another timewaster, got a reply at half 10 saying sorry he’s been out with his kids and just got home, long story about the wheels and can he ring me

I just replied saying unless they’re still for sale, don’t waste any more of my time 

no reply yet 😂

Chances of a fruitful reply is probably the square root of feck all 🤣

Found another set, much more local only in Wisbech.  Not as posh colour and do have a couple of kerb marks unfortunately but I’m probably going to strike a deal with the chap I think.

Ignore the horrendous red bolt covers and M centre caps.

Black bolts, normal BMW centre caps and on a lowered car they should look decent.

IMG_9245.jpeg

Satisfying upgrade today

The chap I sold it to had fitted a shit reverse camera, it stuck out and annoyed me. Managed to find one on eBay that is built into a boot handle for £16 so fitted that 

Also I never noticed until testing the camera that my reversing sensors don’t work, im 99.9% sure they did when I owned it last time. Thought I’d start at the obvious place and check the fuse… no fuse in there at all! Can only assume he want a fan of sensors so removed it… stuck a fuse back in and they work fine again. 

IMG_9385.jpeg

IMG_9382.jpeg

IMG_9383.jpeg

IMG_9381.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

In order to qualify for the T5 scene you need to be as bald as possible while still some hair, have an impeccable collection of Berghaus fleeces, oh and have a border terrier

🤣

Sorry but all the avid T5 owners from the T5 scene are exactly that above demographic 🤣

43 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

In order to qualify for the T5 scene you need to be as bald as possible while still some hair, have an impeccable collection of Berghaus fleeces, oh and have a border terrier

🤣

Sorry but all the avid T5 owners from the T5 scene are exactly that above demographic 🤣

I’m clinging on to what hair I have left, I own Patagonia clothing and have 3 dogs 

If you squint I’m a my first T5 owner?