gm's unhealthy obsession with mx5s - Exo on taxi duty

gm

we got it running again and drove it to safety, it has been abandoned at a top secret location just round the corner from where the seller lives. 

many thanks to @Lacquer Peel for his generous use of his car paring space - i’ll see about getting it picked up and brought home asap, thankyou 

and mega thanks to @320touring for coming to my rescue :) 

IMG_4904.jpeg

• gm changed the title to gm's unhealthy obsession with mx5s - cheeky trip north of the border has gone utterly tits up !

right then, now i’ve got a bit of time to fill, i’ll catch up with the story so far.

the car i’ve (sort of) bought is a 1994 1.6 eunos roadster automatic (imported mx5)

the seller had told me that the afm was causing issues so i robbed the known good one off the Exo to bring with me.

IMG_4897.thumb.jpeg.86b72239673a352065b4d148fa46b4d3.jpeg

IMG_4898.thumb.jpeg.dee55699918134835953d83a25517ef8.jpeg

i met the seller at falkirk station, had a look round the car and  saw it to be in decent condition. he went to start it up and it just turned over, not starting. 

fair enough, i had basic tools and an afm in my bag so we swapped them over and it started first time :) 

IMG_4899.thumb.jpeg.1094d47b385bbaac400e2e721cde5bac.jpeg

happy that it was sorted, i paid the man and we drove off. i noticed the steering was heavy so stopped to check the fluid level which was empty :( 

IMG_4900.thumb.jpeg.33b6bbf7fe5a0e9f6998489677acf04b.jpeg

so a detour was made to europarts and a bottle of steering juice purchased. 

the previously empty and silent steering pump is now rattling its tits off but steering is lighter. 

then it stalled. and wouldn’t restart.

the fuel gauge was very low so back into europarts and a can of shame was purchased. 

IMG_4901.thumb.jpeg.8f480532a4c488776a950cb498bd0aa1.jpeg

after a long walk to the petrol station and back, it fired up within a few tries. ok, i’ll head to asdas for fuel, food and a piss. 

about a mile down the road, on a particularly busy roundabout, it stalled. and wouldn’t start again. 

so i knocked it into neutral and shoved it round the roundabout and onto a quieter road. somehow i got it going again and drove down to the asda in grangemouth. 

behold my glorious pez pic !

IMG_4902.thumb.jpeg.84082a48a9c80a0634e466da13fa20d3.jpeg

guess what happened once i’d filled the tank ? yep, wouldn’t bloody start again.

i shoved it to a quiet corner away from the pumps and went for a sandwich and a piss.

when i finally got it going again, i adjusted the throttle cable bracket so it was permanently on part throttle - see if that will keep it from stalling ? 

which sort of worked. i managed to drive off the forecourt and onto the main road where the traffic lights immediately went red. and it stalled. 

fucksake.

at this point i posted my trouble in a group chat and @320touring offered to come to my rescue. while he was in transit, i messed around with various bits and got it running. i adjusted the throttle cable so it idles at around 3k and drove it back to the car park.

frightened to switch it off, i left it running for 20mins until 320T arrived and very sensibly dissuaded me from the 140 mile drive home through rush hour traffic !

very wise as the five miles i drove it to lacquerpeels place was bloody stressful. i made it in one piece without stalling and parked it up. i wonder what will happen if i switch it off now ? yep, wouldn’t bloody start again ! 

so i locked up, and we went for a chippy tea, 320T dropped me off at the station and i began my journey home by train :( 

once again, massive thanks to 320T and lacquerpeel for their help with this one. i’ll see about getting it recovered home tomorrow but, at least for now, car and owner are both safe. 

….to be continued….

8 minutes ago, garbaldy said:

I'm halfway between car and your home  for next breakdown or you could just dump it here. 😉  I've never actually driven an mx5 yet.  

i was planning a route home via your direction but that could well have ended in tears :(  i’ll get this one trailered and fixed up then you can have a go :) 

so theories : seems to be a fuelling issue - maybe a wonky injector or the fuel pressure regulator - it drove ok, definitely down on power, but wouldn’t restart when hot. 

i brought the original suspect afm home and will plug that into the Exo to see if it works, otherwise it’s a case of swapping bits over until i find the culprit. the Exo has the same engine but with a manuel gearbox, shouldn’t be too hard to sort out what is going on. i hope. 

11 minutes ago, gm said:

i was planning a route home via your direction but that could well have ended in tears :(  i’ll get this one trailered and fixed up then you can have a go :) 

I was up at Stirling dropping daughter 2 at uni so could have driven you home again if I'd known.  At least you got it sorted 👍 

i’ve stuck a job up on shiply, so far seeing quotes between £250 and £295

having never used shiply before, is there anything i should watch out for ? 

i also messaged retroshite to see if he might be interested?

Just now, sdkrc said:

I'd consider driving it to Newcastle in a one shotter. I'm supposed to be in Leeds with work in a fortnight and could combine it with that.

i did consider doing that but my breakdown cover is basic and i was driving on third party insurance - it just felt too risky. i’ll see what tomorrow brings.

thanks again for the offer of a loaner to get home :) 

I used this chap to move my caravan.

https://www.shiply.com/transport-provider/aburdmk1

He's based in Falkirk. Not sure if he's still in business but I'd absolutely use him again. Doesn't mostly bike transport but is equipped for cars I believe. Might be worth inviting him to quote on your listing? I would say read their feedback and their terms and conditions very carefully.

That’s a bummer. I recognised both the Asdas you’ve been to as they are very close by. I’m sitting ten minutes walk from the first one. 
Did you buy it from/has been owned by previously a bloke called (I think) Robin? Probably about 70 now. He lived in Camelon, and his wife had an NB. This was all many years ago. 

i know Robin, if it was his car i’d bought i doubt there would be a hint of trouble - he really looks after his cars. he once drove topless (meaning roof down AND topless) in his mx5 from lands end to john o’ groats for charity - a really nice guy !

this one came from Carron, and is now parked abandoned just around the corner from the sellers place. i’m working on transport quotes, one things for sure it’s not going to be cheap :( 

4 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Autos with stalling issues when in drive for me has always been a dizzy fault. 

MX5s don't have a dizzy per se but could it be worth replacing the cam sensor?

once it’s home i can swap over loads of parts as the Exo has the same engine - should be much easier to find the fault 

2 minutes ago, gm said:

i’m working on transport quotes, one things for sure it’s not going to be cheap

Is there a handy 4x4 you could requisition, and rent a trailer/borrow an a frame? How many miles have you got to cover to get it back?

2 minutes ago, gm said:

guess what ? i fitted the ‘broken’ AFM onto the Exo and it started up first time and ran perfectly ! 

If there's one thing that I've learned when buying cars that have a running fault, it's that the fault is never what the seller thinks it is.

It looks a lovely car though, I love a mk1 MX5 and I think the V Spev is the prettiest of the lot. Should be a decent car once you get her home and sorted.