Crummy Clio - 1.4 auto - £220

RobT

Yup, looks like you are missing the front grille that's barely noticeable.

Indeed I noticed that on Saturday. 10 quid on ebay so I'll check the mounting brackets are still there before paying out.

I've decided to revert back to 13s, I prefer the look of them on small skinnys and it should help make the steering a bit lighter.

• 3 weeks later...

Done a few things on this today. Replaced the 14 inch wheels with the original 13s, together with some budget trims that don't look too bad I reckon. I also gave it a quick wash and lobbed some Autoglym bumper care jollop on the plastics. Small things but it looks a lot better now.

post-5013-0-72308400-1458948970_thumb.jpg

The steering is lighter and it feels more nimble on the skinnys, so changing them was a Good Thing. Next jobs are give the interior a scrub and replace the grille that eagle eyed Vulg noticed is missing.

Here's an amusing feature. The electric window switches are located to the right of the steering wheel, so if the passenger wants their window open they need to ask permission first! Surprised it has them actually being a lower spec model. Window motors sound suitably shit for such a cheap piece of French tat, coupled with a jerky motion.

post-5013-0-24653600-1458949371_thumb.jpg

There's another early one that lives near me that's LHD and used to be on French plates, but recently got an aged related H plate. I must get a photo of the pair together, same colour as mine but he has the proper trimage.

I also need to get on and own more 80s/90s Renaults, can't believe this is only my third (after the two 25s) as I've always had a soft spot for the things. It probably stems from the frog chod my Dad had as company cars - an 18, 19, 21 Savanna (he moaned about how crap it was compared to the 18...) and then a phase II 25 GTX. After that it went down hill and they gave him VWs.

Looks a lovely motor,me and wife had a l plate rt trim auto for the Total of one day! Regards window switches,ours where on the door so I think they may have been added seeing as they are the only switches too. I'm sure rn models had windy Windows,no rev counter or pas and central locking.

What a sweet thing Rob, always nice to have the first of the breed.  Looks so much better on the standard wheels with new trims.  The electric windows situation seems mad, there must be a control for the passenger somewhere surely?

I've got a bit of a thing about getting a Mk II Clio auto for Mrs_Carlo as she had a manual when they were new, but everyone tells me to steer well clear.

• 4 weeks later...

In an attempt to continue the clear out, would anyone like this?

MoT is due 8th July, only one advisory last time (oil leak).

Price: £220

53,000 miles, cambelt and waterpump were done last August together with a full service. Lots of bills and service history. Giffer dents and scrapes all over but is presentable enough and it drives really well bar a creaking noise from the front OS that comes and goes. Brakes need a good prod but it pulls up straight, and has four good tyres on it. I replaced the front ones recently with some 6mm part worns. Interior is tidy and I did some Vulgalouring a few weeks back, so all the gunk in crevices etc is gone. There's some grot on both rear wheel arches, but nothing rampant.

GR9 for bombing around town as it's an auto. OK it's a Renault auto but don't let that put you off, as apart from a bit of jerkiness sometimes when cold the 'box is fine. The engine sounds a bit clattery at first but is quieter when warm, and is all part of the charm I reckon. Not so relevant now with summer approaching, but the heater is mega toasty.

It looks like the oil leak stems from the oil pressure switch, so I've tigtened that up a bit and fingers crossed it's sorted.

The grille is missing in this pic, but I bought one recently for a tenner and put it on today.

Every time I drive it I smile and end up whistling the tune from the advert. It has basic charm in abundance!

post-5013-0-26925800-1461103158_thumb.jpgpost-5013-0-90851900-1461103189_thumb.jpg

post-5013-0-77972300-1461103966_thumb.jpeg

OK, then you use the old fashioned way of hitting the motorway, sticking to 60 and counting 16 marker posts. If it takes more than 60s you're over reading, less than means under.

They're every 100m so 1609 makes a mile, and a mile a minute is 60mph

Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes   Silver Blaze ?

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned in "News 24" I collectioned this on Tuesday evening after the Sera set sail for foreign shores.

I had bought the 340 vario for my sister, but when Rob put this up for sale I thought it might be a bit more practical and easier for her to live with, so contact was made.

It really is a cracking little car, it had no issues doing the 150 mile drive home and easily does 70ish on the motorway. I have been using it most days and it's a pleasure to drive.

As with any car it needed a few bits doing, nothing major, mainly fluid changes, so those started today:

ATF refresh

Coolant change

FIlter change.

It now changes gear better and the coolant contains less silt.

post-4715-0-57057000-1462024977_thumb.jpg

I ran out of time at the garage today so still to do:

Brake fluid change.

Grease window runners - hopefully make the electric windows open more smoothly.

Find a couple of trim bits and a dipstick for the autobox.

Refresh ATF some more.

Have a quick snap:

post-4715-0-69841900-1462025264_thumb.jpg

Electric windows will be an aftermarket kit. The giveaway is the blanking cap on the door card, I suspect if you pop that off there'll be the winder spindle with a toothed belt around it going somewhere else to a motor.

My Polo G40 was the same, a cap covering the spindle and in my case a pair of E30 electric window switches under the head unit next to the heated rear window button. Except they were longitudinal switches mounted horizontally so it had left and right arrows on each.

At least they have bothered to get the right switch, there must have just been a pair of blanks there for fog lamps or summat.

• 1 month later...

Electric windows will be an aftermarket kit. The giveaway is the blanking cap on the door card, I suspect if you pop that off there'll be the winder spindle with a toothed belt around it going somewhere else to a motor.

My Polo G40 was the same, a cap covering the spindle and in my case a pair of E30 electric window switches under the head unit next to the heated rear window button. Except they were longitudinal switches mounted horizontally so it had left and right arrows on each.

At least they have bothered to get the right switch, there must have just been a pair of blanks there for fog lamps or summat.

I think you could actually buy an electric pack on the RN model. My dark brain recesses recall a brochure mention of central locking and electric Windows for £330 extra. If it has central locking, the windows are probably factory fit. Well I say factory, I think it was the dealers that put it in which explains the blanking plate rather than a bespoke door card

To celebrate the achievement of an MOT, and not needing anything doing to pass today the brake fluid was changed in teh Clio.

post-4715-0-21640800-1465742587_thumb.jpg

The old fluid was not nice.

Fresh minty fluid has replaced it, and amazingly all 4 bleed nipples came off without issue :o

Handbrake adjustment was a mention on the MOT, so whilst the car was on the ramp we had a quick look at the rear brakes.

post-4715-0-85868200-1465742755_thumb.jpg

They're a tad wet, so that'll be 2 new cylinders needed, on the plus side at least the bleed nipples aren't seized.