Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - An evening with the cows!

Six-cylinder

4 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

Error 404  runs and drives but the servo is not working so the brakes are very heavy. Do I buy the expensive repair kit or the very very expensive new servo is the question I am pondering.

In the 80's, seal kits for wheel & master cylinders were a good seller. Seemed easy to me on Imp, A60 & ADO16's

1 minute ago, SiC said:

If you don't have one already, a Trombone cleaner is very effective in clearing drain pipework in cars. Basically curtain wire with a bristle on the end. 

First item I came to on eBay. No doubt many others - including from Amazon.

s-l1200.webp

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325747000061

I originally found out about the use of these when I had my MX5 MK1 yonks ago and these were recommended to clean the drains on that. 

3 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

When you apply the brakes there is a sound of hissing air but you can't detect an external leak.

Where is the non return valve located please?

IMG_20230912_104704 broad.jpg

IMG_20230912_104815 broad.jpg

IMG_20230912_104828_BURST025 broad.jpg

IMG_20230912_104927 broad.jpg

IMG_20230912_104936 broad.jpg

IMG_20230912_104949 broad.jpg

IMG_20230912_105048 broad.jpg

I don't know anything about the Rolls Royce system but if that clear jar is a fluid reservoir, isn't it now empty and below the intake?

Its not unknown for old brake servos to split their internal diaphragm. This leads to the fluid being sucked into the intake and consuming it all into the engine. 

That's exactly what was the issue on the P4. I chucked a new Lockheed servo on as no point messing about on single circuit brakes imo. 

5 minutes ago, SiC said:

I don't know anything about the Rolls Royce system but if that clear jar is a fluid reservoir, isn't it now empty and below the intake?

Its not unknown for old brake servos to split their internal diaphragm. This leads to the fluid being sucked into the intake and consuming it all into the engine. 

That's exactly what was the issue on the P4. I chucked a new Lockheed servo on as no point messing about on single circuit brakes imo. 

Mr Pastry reply was about my Peugeot 404, know as Error 404 because of the amount of work needed and Mrs6C thinks I should have never bought it.

Yes in my photo the fluid was low and has now been toped up. It never took in air and has always had a hard pedal. In my experence when a servo fails it makes the car smoke that I am not getting.

13 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Where is the non return valve located please?

Cant see it in the pics, but normally where the vacuum hose goes into the cylindrical body of the servo.  There may be another valve at the inlet of the vacuum tank, or in-line in the hose.   The transparent plastic hose to the manifold looks a bit iffy and should be replaced with the correct stuff, but that's  another thing.

Does it lose fluid in use, and has it been bled thoroughly? 

North American 404 club site has downloadable manuals, parts book diagrams, etc.

2 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

Cant see it in the pics, but normally where the vacuum hose goes into the cylindrical body of the servo.  There may be another valve at the inlet of the vacuum tank, or in-line in the hose.   The transparent plastic hose to the manifold looks a bit iffy and should be replaced with the correct stuff, but that's  another thing.

Does it lose fluid in use, and has it been bled thoroughly? 

North American 404 club site has downloadable manuals, parts book diagrams, etc.

The fluid level is still where I toped it up to, but the car has only done a few miles as I am only using the 404 for test drives due to the brakes. 

I take your point a bleed and new servo pipes would be good in due course.

Thank you for the American 404 club tip off. I guess this is the one I have as it is the only one with the remote vac tank. I still can't see a non return valve.

z Brake Servo p1.jpg

z Brake Servo p2.jpg

z Brake Servo p3.jpg

18 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Hey @Six-cylinder if the TF doesn’t have an owner’s manual I have a MGF one I can stick in the post for you? 

Obviously there will be differences but it will be better than nothing if you don’t have one. 

Thanks for the offer but my TF has it owners handbook.

Had a great day today! First of all, we turned up and immediately got taken for a drive in the rolls! 

20230930_100421.jpg

20230930_100924.jpg

It's amazing! I've never been in something so old, and sat in the back with superb legroom you'd not think much of it, bar poor Jeeves huffing and puffing in the front. Rides very smoothly, gets up to speed well too and sound like nothing else I've heard start, which is barely does before it's started and running! 

The kids turned the back into a den and I wonder if Mr Royce knew one day 2 kids would be sat in his car in mobile phones 🤔

20230930_103918.jpg

8 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Had a great day today! First of all, we turned up and immediately got taken for a drive in the rolls! 

20230930_100421.jpg

20230930_100924.jpg

It's amazing! I've never been in something so old, and sat in the back with superb legroom you'd not think much of it, bar poor Jeeves huffing and puffing in the front. Rides very smoothly, gets up to speed well too and sound like nothing else I've heard start, which is barely does before it's started and running! 

The kids turned the back into a den and I wonder if Mr Royce knew one day 2 kids would be sat in his car in mobile phones 🤔

20230930_103918.jpg

One can’t get the staff these days. Once upon a time Jeeves would have been dismissed for huffing and puffing.

I then had to pay back my ride and wash some cars. Mainly the Metro, which thanks to a decent full paint job in the recent past was a joy and flew by very quickly. Even the wheels weren't too bad

20230930_111052.jpg

However behind me sat a rather unloved looking MGF, and Chris was distracted talking to mum so I broke from the job and had a go at it

20230930_111055.jpg

Sprayed it down with korrosol, dry with no rinse so it bites hard. I then washed the metro and went round gain with black hole. Took no photos but Chris has some. Then sprayed it down again and it did well

20230930_111600.jpg

Gave it a scrub and a rinse and it came up alright! 

20230930_114106.jpg

That was fun, back to work and the black hole got buffed off, I then went round again with Black light because the paint ws so buttery smooth it would be rude not to. Whilst that hazed the glass and trim got gone and Chris cleared his shit out of the boot and we laughed at the original spare (should have bloody cleaned it now I think) 

20230930_131009.jpg

Another buff with a brand new microfibre then a good layer of Chris's ceramic wax which is lovely to work with when not in the sun. And BL designed the metro nicely that I could get behind the bumpers and trim for alot of it, so everything is nicely polished and protected! 

20230930_123047.jpg

We then replaced the rear exhaust and it went back into the garage with a cover put on it. 

20230930_123041.jpg

That done the Rolls got some attention. A good rinse with just the hose, then a wsh with the last of my autoglum shampoo which is good as I bloody hated it, then a dry had it looking good

20230930_173534.jpg

Was also a learning excersise. It's very waterproof. Which is good. The wheels took ages to clean, I can see why it was probably a job role in its own right! Needs degreser and a good pressure wash, but we shifted alot of crud with jizer and alot of brushes! 

The paintwork will polish up. I did the bonnet by hand and it gave a glimmer of hope. It'll never be mint but it'll shine. Needs mechanical action next year but it got meguiared compounded by hand, then I found some super resin polish I forgot I had, and it's been ages since I've used it but for all it's flaws I forgot how nice it makes things look for little effort, and it makes a good prep for the 2 layers of ceramic that went on the bonnet and wheel fenders. Thatll see it through the winter in storage. The brightwork will polish up a treat too, it's in excellent order! Whole car is, especially the back end, all the black painted parts have been done recently* and came up like new with zero effort. 

I didn't take any more pics but as I was doing that the error 404 got a good clean too! We didn't wash it but Chris did the glass, cleared some but not all the shit out of it and even sloshed some tyre jizz about 👍 He even got the hoover out too, and the metro and 404 got a good vacuum! Oh, and the rolls carpets got a good jetwash. Their fairly modern, and in good condition and beautiful with the interior. Apparently they smelt though, and the muddy shite that came out of them told a tale that backed it up. If that doesn't work I have a plan B, but they need to dry first whatever. 

20230930_173538.jpg

6 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I’ve got the bilberry wheel cleaner which is very good. Is this better? There is satisfaction in cleaning a dirty car.

Bilberry is nice for not too dirty wheels, I've got some myself (tried the bilberry blue stuff too but found it awful) but tbh I use the Autosmart Korrosol nowadays, it's so good and goes a long way! 

A good jetwash, then Korrosol and go round all of them then wait 10 mins, then spry bilberry around and scrub it'd be a good combo. But once my bilberry runs out I'm not going to replace it... 

Equally I've had my concentrate bottle over a decade 😂 I've always found it naff unless you make it quite strong. Fine for doing a full maintenance wash every Saturday morning, it'll never get bad enough to be a problem. But in Chris's Chod... 😂 Straight for the hard stuff

That does look good! 

I think we'd be safe hitting the wheels with the pressure washer now, then I might get some cheap foam pads for my rotary and lightly hit the paint with that. Can see the square we did by hand in the 3rd from last picture. Then work the finishes in with your dual action until it becomes a mirror. 

14 hours ago, richardmorris said:

One can’t get the staff these days. Once upon a time Jeeves would have been dismissed for huffing and puffing.

When I attended the RR School in 1983, I remember being warned about the annoying noises made by these modern leather rimmed steering wheels when shuffling the wheel. The only time passengers should be aware of the chauffeur is if you’ve been asked to hurry somewhere, then you should drive at the same speed but make a few exaggerated steering or pedal inputs to give the impression of going faster. 
To be fair the senior instructor was probably there when @Six-cylinder’s car was made.

36 minutes ago, Jenson Velcro said:

Out of interest, what is your ceramic wax of choice?

I use what the guv'nor provides, and he got taken in by a meguiars salesman many years ago and currently has this

https://www.meguiars.co.uk/product/hybrid-ceramic-liquid-wax-473ml/

Which in the right conditions is very nice, but I'm mixed. I don't find it leaves as nice of a finish. No one knows but I went over the passenger side rear flank of the rolls with Dodo Juice Rainforest Rub paste wax and it left such a deeper glossier finish. 

However the meguiars does provide good lasting protection which is good. We cut and polished the saab a year or so ago and when I was washing the Mercedes last weekend I blasted the rear end off and it showed signs of still having some protection, which was good. 

It needs a properly prepped surface though, you want to be clay barring and super resin polish-ing as a minimum. I couldn't get the paint cut properly on the mitsubishi and it didn't buff off nicely when I was done, being in full sun didn't help at all either. Once it's driving and at the house it can have a clay and 1 step machine polish and suddenly the ceramic wax will take very nicely. 

I've not used it on my own car though so have no idea how it holds up in daily use. Paste wax only lasts a mo th or so before needing a maintenance wash. I don't do that to my own car anymore so bar the initial post wash glamour it fades to nothing quickly unless you keep on top of it