The slow death of Vauxhall?

Felly Magic

" The slow death of Ford "

If I've read that right , Ford are only going to make 2 cars , the Mustang and the Focus Active .The rest being SUV's and trucks.

They would be mad to kill off the Fiesta.

The above concerns US operations only, where the Fiesta has been something of a novelty item from the beginning. A few enlightened folk rather took to the Fiesta ST, but Ford's entire non-SUV operation (Mustang aside) has been irrelevant over there for years.

By the looks of this Ford are having a massive restructure too. Not sure what this means for the UK market..

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2018/04/25/ford-cutting-car-lineup-earnings/34244867/

Interesting. It would seem Ford would then not be doing development on 'European' style or size cars - so non US- Fords would need separate development strands. Hmmmm - perhaps that means a sale of the European operation to VAG, BMW? Mercedes-Benz? Renault? 

The push toward SUVs, trucks and other commercials seems logical for the US market. I'd expect the Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo to keep going in Europe, unless Ford has simply decided to abandon market segments to the likes of VAG, Kia etc.

Hard to call it, I'd say the whole landscape has changed more in the past 10-years than the 30 years prior so who knows!?

A couple of months ago i needed to hire a car on a Sunday, the only place open was Thrifty. They seem to only have SUV things, I asked for a medium size car, to me a Mondeo or Insignia etc.

On arrival I was given a Kuga, which was quite pleasant , well equipped and not slow( 2.0 diesel), the yard was full of Mokkas, Qashqais and lots of Korean things, the only saloons being Jag XEs and BMWs, for which I declined a £6 per day upgrade.

Mustard Mitt I didn't know that, I thought the 4x4s were either 2.0L(I) or GSi, and nothing in between.

Not sure it was ever badged as a SRi officially. At launch, the 4x4 Cavalier was L spec with wheeltrims, black bumpers and stuff.

The launch brochure at https://www.flickr.com/photos/61090099@N04/sets/72157643053689504/with/13550046615/ pitches the 4x4 between L and GL with L seat trim and steel wheels.

9664969.jpg

A couple of years later (but before facelift) they upspecced it with SRi trim but I'm not sure it ever gained the badges? See here - where the SRi would be on the door just says 4x4 but it's got the wheels etc.

vauxhall_cavalier_4x4_red_sedan_1991.jpg

The Corsa diesel has been one of the worst cars I have ever driven. A lousy engine in an awful chassis with a foul unwelcoming interior. The feeling I came away with was that they had purposefully made it that bad. There couldn't have been any other explanation. It was that bad. It said nothing about you other than your house probably stank of chip fat. The 1.2 was acceptable at a push, the 1.0 couldn't get out of its own way, then you were left with the 1.7 diesel. An incredibly foul car. It didn't even look good, I felt like an absolute fool every time I test drove the thing. On every level. I'll be a happy man when the last one is crushed.

Re selling Vauxhalls as Opels, slightly unrelated but, I was surprised to see that Toyota still run a network of Toyopet dealers in Japan. I'll stand corrected, but I think the last Toyota branded as a Toyopet was made in the 1950's.

The way that Toyota market their cars domestically makes British Leyland look streamlined and efficient. Even putting aside Lexus, Toyota run four different type of dealership - theoretically, Toyota dealers will sell you big cars, Toyopet are for medium sized cars, Corolla dealers for small cars and Netz for women and the youth ('Network of Energetic Teams for Zenith').

Except it doesn't work like that - you can buy a Prius in any (although it'll come with a different badge from a Netz garage), you can buy an Auris from Netz or Corolla or a Blade (an Auris with more equipment) from Toyota and Toyopet etc etc...

All joking aside (including AVAS) Vauxhall had a half decent reputation in the 80s and 90s.

A guy at work who is not a car person at all chose a Vauxhall Antera as a company car on the basis that the Cavalier he had a few years ago was a decent car.

It was so bad, it's the only car I've ever known returned to the lease company as not fit for purpose.

That guy, and his family will never touch another Vauxhall as long as they live.

Anyone who ever even sat in a Sintra is unlikely to consider a Vauxhall.

Clarkson did massive damage to their image when he couldn't be bothered to test the Vectra but he did that to Peugeot and Toyota too and they survived it.

My dad had to take his Zafira back several times and drive it all summer scared to turn the AC on incase it caught fire.

That is his first and last Vauxhall.

For every 1000 decent cars they knock out, people will only remember the duff ones.

There has been a steady erosion of Vauxhall for years and they haven't had any stand out cars to turn the tide.

When in their pomp. It was a great, and popular brand. Where PSA take it next who knows but one thing is for sure I feel they won't take eyewatering losses in medium or long term like GM have stood. They will axe anything that could drag the group down. My own view is the wanted the vans and also wanted to stop a competitor getting it. Interesting there was no Chinese interest.

I fear that the only Vauxhalls we will see before much longer are rebadged PSA vans. I cannot believe my next door neighbour's partner is thinking about a Mokka, they are so unbelievably awful, cheaply made crap, that are shite on fuel, the last Vauxhall they encountered was his mk3 Cavalier, a highpoint in Vauxhall's history, but ever since then it's been a rapid downhill spiral in to the gutter for the brand, and I think if they actually look at a Mokka, it might wake them up

Have a look at this review of the Mokka if you want a flavour of how terrible they are. If even the Vauxhall-loving champion of the underdog AROnline couldn't avoid giving it such a thorough pasting, it must be bad.

Of course the Mokka isn't really an Opel/Vauxhall at all (aside from being descended from the Corsa C), but a GM Korea product with different badges glued on.